HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:29 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:41 PM
Ascension

Wow. The 755 Tower is back from the dead.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 10:44 PM

Blackcat... you always seem to be the first source to break these development. I'm a huge fan of your blog as well. Great job and many many thanks.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Blackcat... you always seem to be the first source to break these development. I'm a huge fan of your blog as well. Great job and many many thanks.
This is exciting!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 11:52 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Awesome. I was just thinking not a week ago that a residential tower on that site seems like a no brainer considering the retail below and the offices adjacent. This one has potential to take off quickly due to the location and that nothing has to be torn down or removed really to let it rise. It was already pre set to be a skyscraper.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:03 AM

I seem to recall a forumer (whose name escapes me) who, a couple years back, when Metropolis was just getting started, had spoken to a worker(s) on the Metropolis site, who stated that this property was going to get a 35-ish story residential tower. I've been waiting for an announcement for that, and lo & behold, how prophetic that comment was. Except the worker had said Greenland was going to develop the prop, and not Brookfield. This tower will do nicely, but I agree, it's going to block those western/ocean views of the Mitsue towers. C'est la vie.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 2:18 AM

There will be an LED light show on the WG at 8:15. Don't miss it guys!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:11 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Wilshire Grand by Hunter, on Flickr
Look to the center-right edge of the picture and notice there are small bulb-like protrusions on this portion of the spire, while there are none anywhere else on it.

I think we got the answer to our "spire lighting" question.

Embarrassing...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
That right there is skyline altering. Could you imagine the views of the city with this and the 66 story down the road on Fig rising? Easily in the 800's and possibly even in the 900's. Give us Olympia and Downtown would start to become unrecognizable(in a good way).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
That right there is skyline altering. Could you imagine the views of the city with this and the 66 story down the road on Fig rising? Easily in the 800's and possibly even in the 900's. Give us Olympia and Downtown would start to become unrecognizable(in a good way).
Keep in mind it's residential. 62 story residential isn't the same as 62 story office. The height of the floors are shorter for residential towers.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Keep in mind it's residential. 62 story residential isn't the same as 62 story office. The height of the floors are shorter for residential towers.
Good point but it's still better than Mitsui Fudosan's project on Fig & 8th at 42-stories (that one was a lost opportunity).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Honestly, who cares? The tallest building in Australia is Q1 in Gold Coast. It's 1,058 to the top of the spire and 78 floors. Beautiful building.

http://theluxtraveller.com/wp-conten...estination.jpg

In Melbourne, they are constructing Australia 108. Both 108 and Eureka (building on the right) have taller roofs than Q1 but Q1 is still taller.

But no one cares. Height is completely arbitrary. 'Waaah...Wilshire Grand is taller only because of it's spire.' But the top of Salesforce is a cage. The actual roof is much lower but it's hidden well.

But who cares in the long run? San Francisco has a nice tower. So does LA. So does Gold Coast. They all cheat to attain their height so it's a strange argument to have.

Actually, I think the only people who do care are San Franciscians. They love the fact that their building is taller. But LA doesn't give a shit and a half. Lol.
Those that you have sited are very handsome towers, especially the first. But of the second two, what that odd red structure about two-thirds the way up, and of the third tower what is that strange square in the top upper right corner? Update: I just checked the diagrams section of this forum and those two features that I mentioned are intentional parts of the design--how bizarre.

Last edited by Wilcal; Jun 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Yes indeed Blackcat, you are the "Top cat"

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:07 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
well hey, the Figuroa Centre project is 66 floors and soars to 975 feet. The Olympia towers go up to 65 floors and it is over 800 feet. This tower could easily dwarf its two neighbors...777 and Ernst&Young easily...even with residential floor heights. Well hafta wait and see.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Well this just made my day. Pretty much almost every dead project from the 80s/90s is either near completion, under construction or being reborn. So at this rate, Downtown is getting a new proposal every other month. Something that has never happened. Ever. Please don't let this train derail. I promise not to be a sarcastic A$$hole .

10 years from now we're all going to be smiling as we walk down fig. New rails, newish airport, new downtown

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 8:33 PM

Wow what a gorgeous design, can't wait to see what they have in store for the top half...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 8:56 PM

If only we could get new 700'-900' skyscrapers on Bunker Hill, but we can't because we have the Promenade Towers, World Trade Center, and L.A. Hotel Downtown (former Marriott hotel).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
If only we could get new 700'-900' skyscrapers on Bunker Hill, but we can't because we have the Promenade Towers, World Trade Center, and L.A. Hotel Downtown (former Marriott hotel).
We can't get more taller bldgs due mainly to not enough demand....at least for office space. that's the key, not so much a case of existing bldgs blocking new bldgs.

I'm fairly certain the wilshire grand would have been truly the tallest tower on the west coast......& not dependent on it having a mast.....if the owner could tell several yrs ago that existing commercial space in dtla was jam packed. instead, he or they knew the vacancy rate in the hood has been fairly high for over 25 yrs.....25 yrs, if not longer.

blame that on too many businesses still favoring other hoods in LA....such as samo, century city, pasadena, venice, playa vista, the oc.....as their home base, both as places where their residence is & their office too.

dt lost a lot of mojo cuz it took too long to reach the point where it's finally arriving. that's why it's sometimes not better late than never, since too much will have been lost in the meantime.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Would be awesome if the city could redevelop the WTC site with offices, residents, hotel and commercial.. may potentially be a new tallest

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations