HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
I doubt that, but we will see.
I just remembered...I think I saw on a special that the spire is lit from inside, so there shouldn't be a problem. So far we've only seen a light that's on the outside on the bottom of the spire.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 8:45 PM

Kind of a mess of photos I haven't been able to upload until today. There are more on my Flickr, but here are some highlights.

Wilshire Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

Freehand Hostel by Hunter, on Flickr

820 S Olive (Onni 50-Story) by Hunter, on Flickr

8th & Spring by Hunter, on Flickr

South Park & Historic Core by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway Renovation by Hunter, on Flickr

Potential residents are so excited about La Plaza Culture they're already camping out for the grand opening.
La Plaza Cultura by Hunter, on Flickr

Park Fifth by Hunter, on Flickr

4th & Broadway by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa & Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

View from Staples by Hunter, on Flickr

Herald Examiner & Hotel Proper by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway Palace by Hunter, on Flickr

View Up Pico & Olive by Hunter, on Flickr

Downtown Skyline by Hunter, on Flickr

20170615-DJI_0330 by Hunter, on Flickr

20170615-DJI_0331 by Hunter, on Flickr

1212 Flower, Circa, & Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

1212 Flower & 1133 S Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 9:37 PM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
That's a bummer, and with all the engineering prowess that the design firm had, one wonders what the Hell went wrong. By the way, even though it may have met all the technical definition of being a spire it always looked to me like a very large tapered "flagpole" whose only purpose was to give bragging rights to being the tallest building west of Chicago (1,100--including the 166 ft. "spire"). Thus to exceed the already planned an now being constructed Salesforce tower in San Francisco; a building which does have an actual height to roof of 1070ft.
Its hollow glass cage is not a roof.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Kind of a mess of photos I haven't been able to upload until today. There are more on my Flickr, but here are some highlights.

to see anything around the roxy theater finally being cleaned up is a miracle....& long overdue!

your pics always manage to bring some life back to this thread.

only thing missing in the assortment.....since it has yet to occur....would be a photo of groundbreaking finally taking place on the apt tower proposed for 4th & hill, next to grand central...important since lots of tourists & daytrippers to dtla wander around there. Although I understand renovation work at least is finally being done on angel's flight across the street.

A community gymnasium....the budokan....is supposed to break ground in little tokyo around july. An apt tower at 4th & broadway hopefully will occur sooner rather than later.

good times....long overdue but both welcome & a great relief.

just think of what dtla would be like right now if the timing of all the things you've captured in images had happened in 2001 or 1995.....or 1980.....instead of today. but better now than never.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 10:45 PM

Hinter, even though i live and walk downtown everyday, seeing your pics gives another perspective and its really amazing to see the change from the sky. Fantastic job

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian Steel View Post
Its hollow glass cage is not a roof.
I was not aware of that, thank you. So, it too is designed to also give the appearance of more height to the building. Kind of like the beehive hairdos from the early to mid-sixties.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 12:00 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Hinter, even though i live and walk downtown everyday, seeing your pics gives another perspective and its really amazing to see the change from the sky. Fantastic job
They really are great, it almost looks like a different city than it did 15 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 12:06 AM

I don't usually quote a photo, but this is just too damn amazing not to. WELL DONE SIR!

Quote:

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:09 AM

Anyone know if there will be a ceremony on Friday for the grand opening of Wilshire Grand? If so, what time?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Potential residents are so excited about La Plaza Culture they're already camping out for the grand opening.

Quote:
Downtown LA’s New Basement Bar Is a World War II-Era Party Bunker
The return of a classic underground lounge

by Farley Elliott
Jun 21, 2017

Step back into war-era Los Angeles today with Rhythm Room, a Downtown basement newcomer that is reviving one of LA’s beloved long-gone names. For decades Rhythm Room was a classic cocktail bar that catered to urbanites, returning soldiers, and anyone in between, but the entire Hayward Hotel that housed the bar fell into disrepair by the 1970s and was ultimately shuttered for years. Now the Rhythm Room is poised to bring the underground lounge back into action.

That all starts with the dim, inviting decor crafted by owners Cindy La and Vincent Vongkavivathanakul, where midcentury touches meet industrial chic. There’s no natural light here, just warm bulbs that accent open brick walls, cement support beams, and plush leather furniture. There’s even old actual stadium seating, along with wooden barstools and benches and sturdy metal two- and four-tops.

Photography by Wonho Frank Lee

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:18 PM

[QUOTE=ConstructDTLA;7841693]Kind of a mess of photos I haven't been able to upload until today. There are more on my Flickr, but here are some highlights.

I don't understand the why the difference in window features (mullions). If they are testing the best look then I vote for the black window treatments

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 10:22 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It's not a test of different facades, that's part of the design. They have different treatments/colors of the facade elements in different volumes of the tower, likely to accentuate those volumes horizontally to create more visual interest in the overall tower design. I agree with you that the black window frames with the clear glazing looks best. I just wish they didn't have vertical mullion panels in the center, but understand that it's probably necessitated by interior layout.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blesha13 View Post
Anyone know if there will be a ceremony on Friday for the grand opening of Wilshire Grand? If so, what time?
Good Question........ Anyone have an answer? I'd love to know too

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Good Question........ Anyone have an answer? I'd love to know too
That's a good question.

I am sure there will be something, but a project manager said (2 weeks ago) it could be delayed by a couple weeks.
That was the last time I spoke to him because I went for a vacation in Europe. Did they confirm the opening now?

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
That's a good question.

I am sure there will be something, but a project manager said (2 weeks ago) it could be delayed by a couple weeks.
That was the last time I spoke to him because I went for a vacation in Europe. Did they confirm the opening now?
They confirmed the opening date 3 weeks ago. Today is the grand opening (June 23), but there hasn't been any news yet besides the LED lighting.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
That's a bummer, and with all the engineering prowess that the design firm had, one wonders what the Hell went wrong. By the way, even though it may have met all the technical definition of being a spire it always looked to me like a very large tapered "flagpole" whose only purpose was to give bragging rights to being the tallest building west of Chicago (1,100--including the 166 ft. "spire"). Thus to exceed the already planned and now being constructed Salesforce tower in San Francisco; a building which does have an actual height to roof of 1070ft.
Top floor is only like 970. Honestly this all such a sad big d*ck contest, who cares. Just appreciate the architecture and/or urban design of each building, not some arbitrary number.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:52 PM
Ascension

Quote:
That's a bummer, and with all the engineering prowess that the design firm had, one wonders what the Hell went wrong. By the way, even though it may have met all the technical definition of being a spire it always looked to me like a very large tapered "flagpole" whose only purpose was to give bragging rights to being the tallest building west of Chicago (1,100--including the 166 ft. "spire"). Thus to exceed the already planned and now being constructed Salesforce tower in San Francisco; a building which does have an actual height to roof of 1070ft.
Honestly, who cares? The tallest building in Australia is Q1 in Gold Coast. It's 1,058 to the top of the spire and 78 floors. Beautiful building.

http://theluxtraveller.com/wp-conten...estination.jpg

In Melbourne, they are constructing Australia 108. Both 108 and Eureka (building on the right) have taller roofs than Q1 but Q1 is still taller.

But no one cares. Height is completely arbitrary. 'Waaah...Wilshire Grand is taller only because of it's spire.' But the top of Salesforce is a cage. The actual roof is much lower but it's hidden well.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4260/3...38af6cf8_c.jpg

But who cares in the long run? San Francisco has a nice tower. So does LA. So does Gold Coast. They all cheat to attain their height so it's a strange argument to have.

Actually, I think the only people who do care are San Franciscians. They love the fact that their building is taller. But LA doesn't give a shit and a half. Lol.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargocultpants View Post
Top floor is only like 970. Honestly this all such a sad big d*ck contest, who cares. Just appreciate the architecture and/or urban design of each building, not some arbitrary number.
Actually they have said constantly they never intended it to be the tallest building, they just wanted to take advantage of being the first building in LA without a flat roof and the first new building with a spire. It just so happened at the end of the design that it was the tallest. No big dick contest here. They've said that since the beginning and that they didn't realize it was going to be the tallest until the LA times wrote a piece on it

Also those are amazing pictures. Thanks for sharing ConstructDTLA

Last edited by hughfb3; Jun 23, 2017 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:24 PM

Who's ready to see the Wilshire Grand lit up for good?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 8:23 PM
:o

Just saw a report on KTLA. Among everything else, I'm very happy to see the sidewalks open after several years of having to walk around that whole block.

As for the spire, I doubt they've been holding out until opening day to light the whole thing while they've been testing all the other LED lights on the tower. Hope I'm wrong, but I think what we've seen so far is all we're getting for now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations