HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:25 PM

https://urbanize.la/post/brookfield-...-market-center

Brookfield buys controlling stake in California Market Center, plans major upgrades by 2019 - including street-fronting retail.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Some pretty big news today: the International Olympic Committee is going to award both the 2024 and 2028 Olympics as early as Monday with Paris most likely getting the 2024 games and LA getting the 2028 games. It's one of the rare situations where everyone wins.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articl...-2028-olympics
Yes sir! And by agreeing to go second in 2028, we will be able to extract (or extort) the IOC for a shit load of concessions / money

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 7:50 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Yes sir! And by agreeing to go second in 2028, we will be able to extract (or extort) the IOC for a shit load of concessions / money
Get them to pay for the Purple Line to Century City.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:25 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Get them to pay for the Purple Line to Century City.
That's already being paid for by the Feds.

I like the idea of hosting in 2028 much more, if only because those additional four years may allow us to get the Red Line to Expo/Vermont or the Purple Line to Santa Monica. Fingers crossed!

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Question: where does the quote in your signature come from?
http://www.architectural-review.com/...ontentID=13371

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 3:15 AM

X-post from the Facebook page

I added all the proposed and under-construction buildings in DTLA and many others from the greater metro into Google Earth. You can really get a sense of how much the skyline is booming and how different LA will look just a few years from now.

Driving into downtown. The Figueroa & Venice Tower really shines from this view.

South Park is going to be a canyon soon enough. The best part is that most of these buildings have already broken ground.

Downtown is slowly pushing south.

I would love to have this view. Once again the Figueroa & Venice Tower dominates the skyline. Despite my initial cool feelings about it, I really want to see it get built, it will be a massive game changer.

I remember this was THE view of LA in the 90s-2000s. Now the only buildings from that time period that show are just roof tops.

You can't even see the roof of Oceanwide or the Crescent Heights tower (any idea when we might finally get renderings?)

Despite how much is being filled up there is still a big area around FIDM that needs to urbanize.

Despite being dwarfed City Hall still stands out.

The Civic District Revival plan is a lot denser then I thought it would be.

Sorry folks, but we are blocking that clock!

Sadly South Park can't be seen from this angle. Hopefully the Arts District and Chinatown will make up for that.

In the end the two 700 footers really don't seem that out of place. Another year of proposals and they'll fight right in.

I hope one day that trainyard can be capped and the LA river will actually be a place to be.

That new convention center can't come fast enough.

LA is pushing west. 'Her' might not be that far off after all.

Even from the coast DTLA shines.

Wilshire is starting to fill up and build up.

The skyline is literally tripling. Also Long Beach says hi.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:37 AM

What is this software/program that renderers keep using where everything looks like origami?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:22 AM

Amazing work! Thank you, great tool to really see the changes

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:55 AM

Some stuff from today:

Park Fifth by Hunter, on Flickr

Freehand, Atelier, Metropolis, Etc by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway Trade Center by Hunter, on Flickr

8th & Spring Towers by Hunter, on Flickr

That street wall

820 S Olive (Onni 50 Story) by Hunter, on Flickr

820 S Olive (Onni 50 Story) by Hunter, on Flickr

One of the first buildings to implement the Broadway lighting grant money.
The Metropolitan Building by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 3:54 PM

Huge concrete pour for Onni on Flower. Trucks lined up for 2 blocks on hope and one block on 12th.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Some stuff from today:
Your pics are a reminder that LA, actually for the first time in its history, is creating a center where ppl.....of some means & success.....will want to live & have a place to live.

compare that with over 90 yrs ago....there was bunker hill, but that was limited to just a few victorian homes built for some wealthier families in LA at that time. some nice properties next to woodframed shacks or anonymous masonry bldgs. nothing consistent with that part of dtla, even back then.

Ppl who wanted a nicer place to call home in dtla in the past were limited to mainly just a few hotels like the biltmore or the el dorado on spring st.

someone told me several yrs ago that the reason DT never took off was cuz it's too far from the ocean. But how come inland areas like pasadena have managed to do well over the past 90 yrs? areas like that are even farther from the pacific.

dtla actually was at a disadvantage due to it not being built up nicely enough....not having much or any housing for ppl who were more than pensioners or the downtrodden.

LA is undergoing a change that really is a first in its history.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
That's already being paid for by the Feds.

I like the idea of hosting in 2028 much more, if only because those additional four years may allow us to get the Red Line to Expo/Vermont or the Purple Line to Santa Monica. Fingers crossed!
Santa Monica would never upzone enough to justify the pricetag of the purple line all the way there, especially considering how NIMBY they are. Crenshaw North (fully underground and down San Vicente and Santa Monica blvd. preferably), Vermont heavy rail at least to Expo, and part of some sort of line going all the way from LAX, up Sepulveda, to UCLA, under the mountains to the valley and to Sylmar via Van Nuys are better investments for the Olympics. Also grade separating the blue and expo lines between downtown and USC would be pretty useful during the Olympics.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 9:59 PM

I also think that LA 2028 would be a better opportunity for LA to get some important transit and infrastructure projects in place for the games.
Paris is already in good shape for hosting in 2024.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:39 AM

^ Hopefully we can get another tallest by 2024/2028. I doubt it though.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 3:06 AM

Angels knoll could potentially be our new tallest

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 3:25 AM

LA can't possibly beat Paris for the Olympics. It had them too recently....so the city will have to apply again for the 2028 games. However, Toronto has been long been interested in getting the next olympics in north america. so LA may have to wait longer.

this is sort of a counterpart to constructLA's posting of pics above....I'd hate to be trapped in a time machine & have to relive the past of dtla. although the hood was better in some ways over 60 yrs ago....fewer homeless ppl, less crime, no graffiti, no swapmeets....it was very sad in other ways.

Quote:
Smog, Baseball, And Lana Turner: 1950s Downtown L.A. In Photos

Los Angeles Public Library Photo Collection

by Tim Loc
Jun 9, 2017

Downtown Los Angeles teetered on the cusp during the 1950s. Most notably, plans were underway to raze Bunker Hill and its array of ornate, Victorian homes. Once among L.A.'s most exclusive neighborhoods during the late 1800s, the area had succumbed to decay as the construction of freeways led to a new westward migration. For much of the first half of the 20th century, city planners had mulled the idea of erasing Bunker Hill and starting anew. By 1959, these plans took shape as The Bunker Hill Renewal Project was adopted by the city. Within a decade almost all traces of the neighborhood would be wiped clean.

On top of everything, downtown was part of the broader sense of sea change. Racial tensions would soon boil over in the early 1960s, crescendoing with the 1965 Watts Riots. Out in Nevada, the United States would detonate another atom bomb in 1955 as the Cold War intensified (residents in downtown L.A. got on rooftops to see if they could view the blast from their homes).

^ that last photo shows ppl lining up to go into a theater that was torn down a long time ago....it is now the site of the park fifth proj, shown in hunter's pic of the crane with city hall in the background.

hard to believe govt officials actually tested atom bombs on the surface back in the 1950s. They must have not cared about the amt of radiation contamination they'd spread.

I feel sorry for the old timers of LA who were similar to today's ssp'ers. Think of all the decades that those ppl who were interested in dtla.... & wishing for it to be better....would have to experience as the hood went through mainly continuous decline. Nothing hopeful for yrs & yrs on end.

that would be like living through a horror show for ppl in this forum of today.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 7:22 AM

Huge LED light display installed at 4th & Traction's parking structure

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:27 PM

The Metropolitan Building by Hunter, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Money well spent, I'd say

Last edited by Wilcal; Jun 11, 2017 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:35 PM

[QUOTE=Doctorboffin;7830508]I added all the proposed and under-construction buildings in DTLA and many others from the greater metro into Google Earth. You can really get a sense of how much the skyline is booming and how different LA will look just a few years from now.

Doctor, you did a fantastic job of creating this hopeful visual of our future. Would it be possible to place a reference number on say the larger scaled buildings and then have a separate page as a legend? It would make it so much more impressive to know which project is which. Thank you.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 3:52 PM

I was strolling through South Park this morning peeking my nose through the fences around the new Onni site to see where all the concrete went. And then I looked up and realized that I could no longer see the Ritz. As I walked and looked up it poked through from time to time, but as Oceanwide rises it's not going to be very visible from many parts of South Park.

And then I noticed the way the skyline was looking from that vantage point. It appears to blend continuously into the financial district skyline from LA Live to Metropolis to FiDi (can this be a thing haha?). The huge South Park developments are a year or more from opening but I very much got the impression that I was in the "middle" of downtown in a way that South Park never felt before. That got me thinking. I've always thought of the "middle of DTLA" to be somewhere around 6th street, maybe at Grand. Somewhere on or North of 7th for sure. But that perception will change rapidly and very soon.

Already many people that I know or come across think of Staples/LA Live when they think of downtown. That's really going to accelerate once these developments open. South Park was a sea of parking lots and short buildings just a few years ago, but by 2020 people will consider it "downtown" in much the same way that tourists consider midtown to be NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations