HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 7:25 AM

much better

Dramatic Eaton Centre Skybridge Installed Above Queen Street

July 10, 2017 5:00 pm | by Stefan Novakovic | 3 Comments

Even as the skeleton for the WilkinsonEyre and Zeidler-designed pedestrian bridge sat moored on James Street, Toronto's future Eaton Centre skybridge captured the public attention. Beginning to take its distinctive helix shape as a steel frame was assembled in May, the the last weeks have seen the eye-catching pedestrian bridge slowly—and then quickly—come together, with the nearly completed installation now hoisted across Queen Street.

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/07/...e-queen-street

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 12:52 PM

It has some visual interest, and I like it better than a standard square passage, but isn't "dramatic" a bit over the top? Maybe I need to see it in person.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
It has some visual interest, and I like it better than a standard square passage, but isn't "dramatic" a bit over the top? Maybe I need to see it in person.
You're such an effete guy!

Does it need to be like this to be dramatic?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 1:41 PM

Well, somebody has to have standards!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:01 PM

Quote:
It dramatically creates a nuisance in the street vista, for one thing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:20 PM

I guess one either likes/accepts overhead walkways, or one does not. In general, I'm not a big fan myself. I can see where they could be a "visual nuisance", but I don't think that would be a big element of this particular one's presence at that spot along Queen, given the intensity of the surroundings.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 2:58 PM
sick transit, gloria

Biking by the other day I kinda forgot where I was as the street seemed much more open! Generally not a fan of overhead walkways, but also am not as opposed as this one isn't setting a precedent. A much uglier overhead walkway was there for 30+(??) years.

Thankfully Toronto doesn't have too many of them... I'm sure I'm missing something but I can only really think of a few others - there's a couple in Southcore: https://goo.gl/maps/TxZTicKbSmC2
https://goo.gl/maps/tQWoCAa1qyM2

And one linking two portions of St. Mike's hospital which is probably more understandable from a logistics perspective: https://goo.gl/maps/rZUe3QCva162

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 3:02 PM

There is no doubt that this one is better looking than the one before, and certainly better looking than those that ruined Rideau Street in Ottawa.

Montreal usually doesn't allow such bridges, but unfortunately they just gave CF permission to build one between Tour des Canadiens 2 and the Bell Center. It's a regrettable precedent. They also allowed one to bridge two buildings in the CHUM complex. Thankfully, that bridge is very high up in the air and on a very secondary street. Also, it's well designed, all in copper.

Source

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 8:53 PM

No windows in the Tour des Canadiens skywalk?

In any case, CF is clearly investing big money into these skywalks in Montreal and Toronto. I wish they would have done the same in Ottawa. They demolished one of the bridges between the Rideau Centre and Hudson's Bay (well done), and refurbished the second. Although it looks better than before, mostly because it was in complete disarray, it's pretty tame compared to TO and MTL's CF skywalks.

http://urbsite.blogspot.ca/2014/03/r...-sketches.html

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-gets-facelift

What makes it worse is that it's really matchy-matchy with the Rideau Centre compared to the contrasting design of HBC. They should have gone with the same approach as they took in TO and MTL, with a design that completely differs from both building.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 8:59 PM

Ssense is building a new store designed by british architect David Chipperfield. It's already under construction, but no render yet.

How-montreal-based-ssense-is-changing-the-luxury-retail-game

This year will see Ssense continue to swim against the retail current. The company is in the process of constructing a five-storey David Chipperfield-designed flagship store in Montreal. Set to open later this year, it will be not only eight times larger than its original shop but also, according to Atallah, fully “digitally integrated.” When pushed for more information, he says that with the rise of digital, “the concept of physical retail is undergoing its biggest transformation in history.” He also adds that whenever the concept of merging online and offline is introduced, “people tend to expect a ‘store of the future.’ We are rethinking the role of the physical space as a means to crystallize our brand vision in a tangible way.”

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
No windows in the Tour des Canadiens skywalk?
That's the copper bridge at the CHUM.

The bridge of Tour des Canadiens is not build yet. It will be all glass though and it will be open, apparently, only to people wearing Canadien shirts. Also, it's much less fancy than the Toronto one.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:48 PM

My mistake. The Tour des Canadiens bridge is more on par with Ottawa's. Somehow more puzzled with the copper bridge now.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 11:32 PM

#BoycottSearsCanada: Retailer faces 'PR nightmare' over treatment of laid-off workers

Chain tries to attract customers during restructuring, but encounters online criticism

By Sophia Harris, CBC News Posted: Jul 23, 2017 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 23, 2017 5:21 AM ET

Sears Canada is striving to reinvent itself and entice customers. But every time it posts an ad promoting products on its Facebook site, the retailer is bombarded with angry comments.

"No one cares!" wrote one person, commenting on a dishware ad. "As far as I'm concerned the whole company should go belly-up."

"Empty plates are what Sears ex-employees will be staring at after they have been rooked out of their severance and retirement payments," posted another person.

The spiteful comments follow Sears' announcement last month that as part of a court-supervised restructuring process, it's closing 59 of its 255 stores and laying off 2,900 workers — none of whom is getting severance.

Sears has also requested court permission to stop topping up the underfunded retiree pension plan. The retailer recently agreed to postpone that matter until Sept. 30.

The repercussions of the restructuring — especially the no-severance deal — have infuriated numerous Canadians, many of whom want Sears to know they won't be shopping at its department stores.

"I will not spend one red cent in your store … no severance, no sale," posted one person.

"I will not be checking out anything at Sears. Do your duty to your employees, you jerks," wrote someone else.

There are also calls for a boycott, with some adding to their comments: #BoycottSearsCanada. The hashtag has also shown up on Twitter.

Commenters have also griped about the news Sears will pay up to $7.6 million in court-approved retention bonuses to 43 executives and senior managers during the restructuring process.

"PLEASE SUPPORT THE C.E.O. OF SEARS CANADA HE NEEDS YOUR HELP!" someone posted as a joke on Sears' Facebook site.

'PR nightmare'

"It's just a PR nightmare," says retail analyst, Bruce Winder about the social media attacks. "That is not going to serve them well as they try to build back sales momentum."

Winder believes Sears' restructuring has sparked a backlash because people don't like to see bad things happen to people they view as vulnerable — such as retail workers.

"Consumers, when they see that a company, in their opinion, doesn't treat those vulnerable people properly, they lash out," says Winder, with the Retail Advisors Network in Toronto.

Sears managers to earn thousands in bonuses

Star of Sears ad with Mike Myers loses job, severance

Sears Canada told CBC News that deep financial troubles left it with no choice but to seek court protection from its creditors while it restructures.

As part of the court proceedings, the company said it's not able to make payments to a number of stakeholders, including laid-off workers owed severance.

It also said the employee retention bonuses are necessary to keep senior staff who will help Sears achieve the best possible outcome for everyone: a revamped retailer that stays in business.

Sears did not offer any specific comment on the reams of angry posts on its Facebook site.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sear...ance-1.4216351

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:39 PM

Boycott sears?

Ha! Their sales will go from $100 a year to $50?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 9:42 PM

Boycotting Sears seems like a public admission that one shopped there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 10:07 PM

WTS is going on?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:41 PM

Michael Kors just bought Jimmy Choo

Handbag-maker Michael Kors finds its perfect pair in Jimmy Choo purchase worth $1.3B

The Associated Press Posted: Jul 25, 2017 8:49 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 25, 2017 8:50 AM ET

American fashion brand Michael Kors is buying luxury shoemaker Jimmy Choo in a deal worth $1.35 billion US

Kors says that Jimmy Choo, which counts Jennifer Lopez, the Duchess of Cambridge and Beyonce among its fans, is "the ideal partner" and will have its online presence bolstered.

Jimmy Choo CEO Pierre Dennis will stay in his job, as will Creative Director Sandra Choi.

The deal gives Jimmy Choo shareholders a premium of 36.5 per cent on the firm's share price as of Friday.

John Idol, CEO of Michael Kors, says the handbag maker believes "that Jimmy Choo is poised for meaningful growth in the future and we are committed to supporting the strong brand equity that Jimmy Choo has built."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hand...1-3b-1.4220209

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Boycotting Sears seems like a public admission that one shopped there.
The bonuses for executives is such BS. Shopping there or not it's maddening enough. "Oh, we will not find anyone else willing to work for a million a year to use big nonsensical words, we will have to double their pay!"

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:36 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 4:07 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
The bonuses for executives is such BS. Shopping there or not it's maddening enough. "Oh, we will not find anyone else willing to work for a million a year to use big nonsensical words, we will have to double their pay!"
But, that's Canada's corporate culture in a nutshell. Senior executive positions are increasingly becoming positions of inheritance rather than ones of merit. This isn't Germany, Japan or Canada from previous generations. These rich connected brats are full of themselves and they expect millions in bonuses even if it comes at the cost of a hundred layoffs because they think they are worth it.

In other words, it's not bullshit at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada