HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
One step forward and two steps back. That's this team.

I agree. I was at that game and me and my sister both said it was one of the worst games, worst crowds- all in all, awful.

Mason did get let down by his D, but I blame Maurice for putting him in net in the first place. The cardinal rule of hockey is you ride your hot goaltender until he breaks or needs a break. This team plays better with Helle in net. It's obvious even after 6 games.
Yeah I couldn't figure out for the life of me my Helle wasn't starting again. Wins 3 games in a row, has 2 days off before yesterday's game AND 2 days off before the next game after... makes absolutely no sense.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:36 PM

I feel like the coaching staff is a complete mess. Maurice has no idea what's going on. If we had someone else in there, it would be interesting to see what the line-up would look like, how the defensive systems would be set-up and how goaltending styles would change (or not change).

The fans lost confidence years ago, and almost seems like the players are starting to as well.. They look like shit out there.

A meme from the Twitters:
https://twitter.com/NHLJetsNation/st...70342052859904

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 10:34 PM

Jet did get some key pieces without tanking though. Schiefele is a true number one centre; Laine and Ehlers put up numbers of true first line wingers - both could be elite; Trouba could end up being a top-10 d-man in the league and is probably in the top-30 at this point; Helle could be a top-15 or top-10 goalie but it is too soon to tell. All this and the Jets have never finished worse than 24th overall.

I think a lot of the problem lies with the coaching staff. Charlie Huddy is still the defensive coach after all these years despite the team languishing near the bottom in goals against for all but one of the years in Winnipeg. Maurice also appears to employ some bizarre lineup strategies in which he stacks the first two lines with offensive-talented players while overplaying a third line full of fourth line players (Lowry and Matthias) and utilizing a fourth line for 6 - 8 minutes a game.

The top two lines are leaned on so heavily (more so the first line) that exhaustion appears to kick in after the midpoint of the game...then those lines are less likely to be effective against the opposition. Maurice appears to have this antiquated notion of no more than 2 scoring lines with an checking line and an energy line when teams with similar offensive talent to the Jets employ three scoring lines. He's a dinosaur as far as coaches go so I doubt he changes his ways.

Special teams continue to suck and have for most of the teams existence. The team has one of the worst penalty kills in the league and the power play should be so much better than what we have seen considering the recent additions.

The team has also been outshot in every game so far and probably outplayed in 5 of 6 games. If things continue as they are, I would not be surprised if Maurice is toast by early to mid-November. Hopefully the team will not have dug too deep a hole at that time.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 10:47 PM

^Jets have good talent no doubt. But they can't seem to keep it together. Offensive stats are generally good, looking at point totals. But goals against are sky high..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:43 AM

I don't know if I'm ready to give up on Maurice, but I definitely think Huddy needs to go. He's been here from the start and the defence has been bad since the start.

And the 4th line was bad yesterday... Petan, Dano, Armia....not the right type of players in there for what you need from a 4th line. They were woefully undersized and too weak. Dano has looked brutal so far.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:46 PM

Hey stop the poo pooing, I'm trying to sell some tickets on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Hey I know this is not a Buy&Sell page, but figure it doesn't hurt letting other forum folks that I have some great deals on Jets tickets. I have 2 kids playing AA hockey so have way too many scheduling conflicts. Some of these games I can get an additional 2 tickets for a total of 4 if interested. section 318 row 8

Tue 14-Nov-17 7:00 PM vs Coyotes 2 x $70 hawerchuck banner
Thu 16-Nov-17 7:00 PM vs Flyers 4 x $70
Mon 11-Dec-17 7:00 PM vs Canucks 2 x $70
Sun 17-Dec-17 5:00 PM vs Blues 2 x $70
Sun 21-Jan-17 7:00 PM vs Canucks 2 x $70 all star poster
Sat 3-Feb-17 6:00 PM vs Avalanche 2 x $70
Tue 6-Feb-17 7:00 PM vs Coyotes 2 x $70
Fri 9-Feb-17 7:00 PM vs Blues 2 x $70
Fri 2-Mar-17 7:00 PM vs Red Wings 2 x $70
Sun 25-Mar-17 6:00 PM vs Predators 2 x $70

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:53 PM

The Jets will never meet expectations with Paul Maurice as Head Coach. Sadly, its probably another lost year while management figures it out.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 11:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
The Jets will never meet expectations with Paul Maurice as Head Coach. Sadly, its probably another lost year while management figures it out.
The sad thing about the Jets, is that we legitimately can be a perennial contender. Unfortunately, the Jets management is ruining our chances. How Maurice got a multi-year extension is beyond me. Ironically, it is fans of other teams that notice this, and cannot understand why Maurice is still coaching the Jets, especially fans of Carolina and Toronto.

Chipman is loyal to a fault, and considering he just extended Maurice's contract, there will be no coaching changes in the immediate future.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
The sad thing about the Jets, is that we legitimately can be a perennial contender. Unfortunately, the Jets management is ruining our chances. How Maurice got a multi-year extension is beyond me. Ironically, it is fans of other teams that notice this, and cannot understand why Maurice is still coaching the Jets, especially fans of Carolina and Toronto.

Chipman is loyal to a fault, and considering he just extended Maurice's contract, there will be no coaching changes in the immediate future.
I always see comments from Carolina fans. This is the exact thing that happened there. Every year they were shit. Issues with players performing, etc. Maurice is fired, they win the Cup.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But now, it's getting depressing. We'll see how the next little while goes before really hitting panic. But it's not looking good.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:51 PM

The rumor floating around was that Maurice and Chipman became close friends and that Chevy didnt want to give him an extension. Who knows.

I dont think an extension means they wont fire him. Wasn't Noel fired after getting an extension? Its just money with no cap implications.

I like Maurice. I really do. He's clearly a very experienced and very intelligent person. I think he blinds people with bullshit. And in a way, its not bullshit, its legitimate but all the stats and graphs and whatever dont translate to intangibles on the ice.

Maurice might be a great assistant coach. But he doesnt inspire his team. Its always seemed the Jets lack heart.

And Maurice seems to over think it, making changes or giving ice time based on some 19th level stat he found somewhere.

If it was game 40, we could say oh its a slump. But they literally spent all summer saying this was the year they would make a leap. And then came out and for the most part have showed little heart or intensity.

We can take the Maurice stance and say professional men need to self motivate. Or we could embrace reality. You're not changing 24 guys. So you have to change the coach.

The D has been a problem since Day 1. Same D coach. Goaltending has been a problem since Day 1. Same goalie coach.

Other teams, like Montreal, switched goalie coaches three times to find the right match for their franchise goalie. The Jets switch goalies looking for the right match for their coach.

Helle looks great. Why? He went out in the summer and hired his own coach to work on things with him. What a revelation.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:56 PM

^You nailed it in regards to the D and Goalie coaches. Time to move on. Changing assistants is a smart move, especially after this long, because it's not nearly as drastic as changing a head coach or making major trades – but can have a huge impact in just waking players up that they cost someone their job. Plus, you maybe then get a coach that does a better job.

I do in a sense side with the fact that while yes the coach obviously has to have an impact, the players have to care and get motivated as well. Most say they love playing here, and you'd expect pro athletes want to win, so why does it seem sometimes they don't care here?

One thing I've noticed is that you always see the young guys and new guys fighting hard, but it's the ones who've been in the organization a while that seem to have these bad nights. While I really like our veteran core, at what point to do you look at the likes of Buff, Wheeler, Little, Enstrom, and consider that maybe this "lack of effort" issue that's plagued the Jets since they came back (and even in ATL), through 2 head coaches, is maybe tied to the only people that have been around since they came back? I would exclude vets like Perrault and Mathias from this as I think they give it their all every time they step on the ice. Perrault is a surprisingly gritty guy, and although Mathias isn't the most skilled, he was about the only guy on the ice Tuesday that was playing with intensity.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:39 PM

Gary Lawless was talking about the Atlanta Five almost from day one. And Lawless was a pretty insightful guy. In fact he harped on it so much that they actually boycotted him and would not speak to him for some time. lawless told the story of how he and Wheeler sat down and hashed it out to get the embargo against him lifted.

I wouldnt bother changes assistant coaches now. Maurice still chose to keep them. So I'd say, if they suddenly though all the assistants needed to go, its a reflection on the people above.

If Maurice gets fired, I'd fire everyone. Complete house cleaning.

Its not the end of the world. Every great coach eventually gets fired. Its not like every coach who won cups suddenly forgot how to coach. it is what it is. Sometimes change is needed.

I dont think the players believe in Maurice. They say they do, but they dont believe in him instinctively to where they fight and claw and commit 100% to the system.

The goalie coach thing is ridiculous though. Some people say the goalie coach is just a video guy. Others say not so. But every single goalie has regressed in Winnipeg. Now, we never had a great goalie so its not proof positive. But Pavs? Regressed. Hutch? Regressed. Helle? Regressed. Mason? Regressed.

The only guy who seemingly improved, hired his own goalie coach.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:50 PM

^^ My concern with the Jets is we clearly have some talented players if you look at international play. That the Jets team as a whole continues to struggle every season you need to look more at things specific to the team. It doesn't seem like there are players that aren't working well together (ie the Kane era) which leads to looking elsewhere. As others have suggested the D and goalie coaches seem to be suspect. That Maurice seems content to keep his current assistance and that Chevy isn't making the call for changes at coaching actually puts both of them into being suspect for the team long term.

I had nearly an identical feel when the Bombers had Buchko/Mack/Burke and it isn't hard to find out how that one ended and to see what the changes resulted in.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:51 PM

I don't think Hutch, Helle, or Mason "regressed" at all.

Hutch was never good.
Helle showed flashes of how good he can be the few games he played his first year, but he's extremely young and was thrown into a starting role, which never works well for goalies.
Mason was just taking a chance by Chevy, he's had more bad seasons than good ones, and to say he's "regressed" in his THREE games with the Jets is absurdity.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Hutch was never good.
Helle showed flashes of how good he can be the few games he played his first year, but he's extremely young and was thrown into a starting role, which never works well for goalies.
Mason was just taking a chance by Chevy, he's had more bad seasons than good ones, and to say he's "regressed" in his THREE games with the Jets is absurdity.
6 of his 10 seasons he had above league average save percentage.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:43 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
6 of his 10 seasons he had above league average save percentage.
I wouldn't say that he has regressed, but he clearly is not handling the pressure well, whether that's due to a lack of confidence, lack of coaching, or whatever. Granted, I will admit that the defense have allowed him to be over-exposed at times and ripe for the picking, Mason is also not playing with confidence. When you look at Helle and Mason, there is no comparison as to how they are handling it. For every save Helle has been making, he has looked confident.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Hutch was never good.
I added the caveat that we never had a great goalie yet. And some guys play great at one level but not the next. So its a grain of salt thing.

But Hutch played great at every level including flashes of really good in the NHL. Small sample size though.

Mason will be fine too and has played well. The two big red flags to me are Pavs and Helle who both got worse over time. Helle had glaring and clear weaknesses that never seemed to be addressed until he took the time to do it himself.

Sometimes its not that the coach is bad, but you need to make changes. Other teams dont wait 7 years and 4 goalies to make a change.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
The rumor floating around was that Maurice and Chipman became close friends and that Chevy didnt want to give him an extension. Who knows.
This scares me a great deal. It's exactly what happened in Edmonton with Katz. It took the Oilers years to clean house in terms of management. I know many are critical of Chevy, but we have to keep in mind that Winnipeg is the least desirable place for UFA's to come to. It may explain why we signed Mason, when there were other goalies available.

Quote:
I dont think an extension means they wont fire him. Wasn't Noel fired after getting an extension? Its just money with no cap implications.
Noel was only extended by one year. Maurice was given a multi-year extension. The organization will not reveal for how long though.

Quote:
The D has been a problem since Day 1. Same D coach. Goaltending has been a problem since Day 1. Same goalie coach.

Other teams, like Montreal, switched goalie coaches three times to find the right match for their franchise goalie. The Jets switch goalies looking for the right match for their coach.

Helle looks great. Why? He went out in the summer and hired his own coach to work on things with him. What a revelation.
If I were the GM, Flaherty would have been gone with Noel. I have no idea why the Jets have kept him for so long. Ditto for Huddy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:35 PM

I think Chevy and his team have done a fairly good job in drafting. Trades he's done okay on, for the most part. Trades have been very limited as we all know. Free Agent signings are almost not existent beyond bottom feeders. Perreault being the exception.

It's the coaching. That's where I see the problem.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 8:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I wouldn't say that he has regressed, but he clearly is not handling the pressure well, whether that's due to a lack of confidence, lack of coaching, or whatever. Granted, I will admit that the defense have allowed him to be over-exposed at times and ripe for the picking, Mason is also not playing with confidence. When you look at Helle and Mason, there is no comparison as to how they are handling it. For every save Helle has been making, he has looked confident.
I've always said that Helle can become an elite NHL goalie with the proper coaching. He has excelled at every level he has played at, and was on fire for the first couple of months as a Jet. Like every other Jets goalie, he regressed. He hired a goaltending coach for the off-season, and regains his form. I don't think that is a coincidence.

Carey Price regressed as well around the 2009-10 season, but the Canadiens hired the right goaltending coaches, Price changed his form and got his confidence back, and the rest is history. I'm not sure what Flaherty is doing with the goalies, but it has never worked.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan