HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Nope, nobody's been terrorized by these blockades.
Ha! The muh feelings crowd, which these clowns 100% represent, is VERY vocal how emotional distress is equal to violence. Ask any basement-dwelling Twitter activist how hurt feelings are the real crime of this century! In this ofter-repeated and media-embraced contex, causing people to miss important doctor's appointments, blocking ambulance access on highway, having kids miss school and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars of indirect damage in lost productivity is definitely inflicting a lot of emotional stress and is domestic terrorism. It really doesn't take a lot of mental Olympics and thinking like these fools to see what it really is.

"Eco-terrorists are willing to inflict emotional and physical distress on their victims if they believe it will further their environmental goals. [...] Noting that in the United States, the FBI's definition of terrorism includes acts of violence against property, which makes most acts of sabotage fall in the realm of domestic terrorism."

These are deliberate and conspired acts to extort the society to decisions that only very few support. It's textbook blackmailing to "do as I tell you, or else...". These are anti-demogracy groups that hate the democratic process and organized society, so they basically also conducting hate crimes against the society.

I am getting emotional distress from just thinking how some people can hate democracy so much.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Ha! The muh feelings crowd, which these clowns 100% represent, is VERY vocal how emotional distress is equal to violence. Ask any basement-dwelling Twitter activist how hurt feelings are the real crime of this century! In this ofter-repeated and media-embraced contex, causing people to miss important doctor's appointments, blocking ambulance access on highway, having kids miss school and causing hundreds of thousands of dollars of indirect damage in lost productivity is definitely inflicting a lot of emotional stress and is domestic terrorism. It really doesn't take a lot of mental Olympics and thinking like these fools to see what it really is.

"Eco-terrorists are willing to inflict emotional and physical distress on their victims if they believe it will further their environmental goals. [...] Noting that in the United States, the FBI's definition of terrorism includes acts of violence against property, which makes most acts of sabotage fall in the realm of domestic terrorism."

These are deliberate and conspired acts to extort the society to decisions that only very few support. It's textbook blackmailing to "do as I tell you, or else...". These are anti-demogracy groups that hate the democratic process and organized society, so they basically also conducting hate crimes against the society.

I am getting emotional distress from just thinking how some people can hate democracy so much.
Putting aside the question of tactics, would you care to share the poll that shows a majority in favour of old growth logging? There are plenty that show massive support for stopping that activity. My understanding is that this group is objecting to the way the government have so far failed to deliver on the promise of stopping old-growth logging. They're trying to hold the politicians to the promises they made as part of the democratic process of the last provincial election. It's a pretty twisted way of viewing the world to call that a hate crime.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The question is how far should "user pay" go?

Will people be charged for:
- walking through a park,
- allowing a dog to use an off-leash area,
- playing on a public tennis court,
- using a picnic table, or
- planting a towel and umbrella on a public beach
- installing a volleyball net on a public beach
Once something becomes scarce, like apparently road parking is in some areas, we should be charging.

Free Market 101.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Ha! The muh feelings crowd, which these clowns 100% represent, is VERY vocal how emotional distress is equal to violence.

Interesting.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:02 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Noting that in the United States, the FBI's definition of terrorism includes acts of violence against property[/I]

It's pretty hard to see this protest as an act of violence against property. Then again, the democracy you speak of has devolved recently into falsely and hyperbolically labeling the actions of groups we don't agree with.

If anti-vax protestors are allowed to block traffic, surely environmental groups should be allowed to do the same.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:30 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
LOL you don't own the street. Somebody needs to learn how the world works.
I parked in a residential neighborhood near 45th and Victoria a few months ago. A guy immediately came out of his house and told me I couldn't park there. I checked, there were no parking restrictions (outside of the 3 hour bylaw). The guy was getting redfaced and yelling like an idiot. Fortunately there was a VPD officer in a passing cruiserthat witnessed the confrontation and talked him down, but I was actually advised to just move my car down the street (2 blocks) to a park zone due to the unpredictable nature of the resident.

Entitlement is bred here.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Except it's happening in Burnaby, not Vancouver.
Same horse, different name.

Vancouver started the stupidity, then its monkey see, monkey do

Last edited by EastVanMark; Jan 12, 2022 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:52 PM

On the topic of road infrastructure, holy cow but I hit the mother of all potholes last night northbound on Cambie just south of 10th Avenue, in the righthand lane. The darn thing was completely invisible in the night rain. I thought for sure I'd end up with cracked rims, but so far still ok. The BANG was almost deafening. Be careful and watch out if you happen to be in the area.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Same horse, different name.

Vancouver started the stupidity, then it monkey see, monkey do
So the fact that the City of Vancouver voted against charging people to park overnight on the street was stupidity? OK, if you say so.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
It would seem that in virtually every case, regulating and charging for parking makes it more available, thus reducing these types of incidents.
Where exactly “did it seem; in virtually every case” cause I don’t see it

Cause if anything there’s ample evidence that charging for such items makes people upset, thus making it more likely for such barbaric acts to occur.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
On the topic of road infrastructure, holy cow but I hit the mother of all potholes last night northbound on Cambie just south of 10th Avenue, in the righthand lane.
Yeah, that cold snap has really spawned a lot of monster potholes. I've taken to being extremely vigilant and giving myself more space between the guy in front of me so that I have time to see and avoid them.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Once something becomes scarce, like apparently road parking is in some areas, we should be charging.

Free Market 101.
Except it only “became scarce” due to interventionist policies.

That’s actually Communism or Dictatorship 101.

Last edited by EastVanMark; Jan 12, 2022 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:49 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
Except it only “became scare” to due to interventionist policies.

That’s actually Communism or Dictatorship 101.
Step 1:
Remove parking lanes or parking spaces for planters, large sidewalks, patios and bike lanes

Step 2:
Add mid rise or high rise condos across corridors with reduced parking allowances incorporated within development

Step 3:
Claim there is too much demand for parking

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:51 PM

There's two million drivers all competing for the same space. Either we ban immigration, or we become 60% parking lot like most cities in the States, or we start charging for the existing ones; Karens gonna Karen either way.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Step 1:
Remove parking lanes or parking spaces for planters, large sidewalks, patios and bike lanes

Step 2:
Add mid rise or high rise condos across corridors with reduced parking allowances incorporated within development

Step 3:
Step 4:
Communism.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 8:39 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The cities have certainly contributed to the issue with the addition of legal suites and turning a blind eye on the illegal ones. Beforehand you had to provide enough onsite parking for the sfh being built, if the owners decided to turn their garage into storage for useless junk they never use then it was there own problem but manageable. Now even if they use their garage/driveway for themselves you still have 1 or 2 tenants from every house fighting over the whatever street parking might exist. Good luck having a dinner party in some neighbourhoods you'll never find parking.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Karens gonna Karen either way.
Yeah, there simply isn't any course of action that someone won't complain about. The best we can hope for is equal complaining from every direction, which I think is about where we are today...

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:
Beautifully articulated 👏🏻

That’s pretty much the COV game plan with any number of things. You can plug your formula into pretty much any city initiative to describe how they manufacture situations.

Again, well done 👍🏼

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
So the fact that the City of Vancouver voted against charging people to park overnight on the street was stupidity? OK, if you say so.
Barely. And don’t worry, it will come back again one day in a different form. You can take that to the bank.

Also please note there’s other ways to stop people from parking in the street all night that doesn’t involve money. But then where will the funds come from for all the stupid pet projects the City likes so much so we can’t have that now can we?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:18 PM

Being allowed to reduce parking in certain areas and types of developments recently is very different than building that structure with reduced parking. Not sure of many condo projects that have done that, but I don't keep a keen eye on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure