HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I live in northern Delaware and haven't really noticed any change here. I still see the usual Delaware plates with sometimes some PA and MD plates and rarely VA and NY plates but not really anything else.
I may be incorrect, but it seems like Delaware is where people getting priced out of the Pennsylvania portion of the Philadelphia metro are moving along with Lancaster and York counties.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 7:25 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
I may be incorrect, but it seems like Delaware is where people getting priced out of the Pennsylvania portion of the Philadelphia metro are moving along with Lancaster and York counties.
I'm sure to some extent. For example, my friends sister purchased a home in Northern Delaware because she got priced out of Glen Mills / Garnet Valley (her first choice).

Old Posted Sep 12, 2022, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
I think the lower half of New Castle County (Middletown, Bear) is becoming a first choice destination for middle class black families moving from Philadelphia (and other parts of the region). We've talked a lot about the exodus of middle class blacks from Philadelphia and my take is...if they stay in the region (as opposed to moving to Atlanta or NC), this is where many of them end up.

It's also a destination of choice for retired municipal employees not just from Philadelphia, but also Northern New Jersey and NYC.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 4:39 AM
Creative Ambitions

Ok folks im here with some new photos, I've been busy as every lately so that's why I've been absent. I didn't want to post or take new ones till I finished this project.

BALA CYNWOOD

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 7:45 PM

Thanks Tony!

Thanks for sharing, Tony! Keep up the awesome work! There's been kind of a lack of good quality neighborhoody/town photo essays since Bradley Maule moved/stopped doing them on PhillySkyline.com way back when.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 12:08 AM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 View Post
Thanks for sharing, Tony! Keep up the awesome work! There's been kind of a lack of good quality neighborhoody/town photo essays since Bradley Maule moved/stopped doing them on PhillySkyline.com way back when.
I just searched the site up and the first thing I see on the front page is this

LMAO what is this.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 3:58 PM

It's worth noting that the 2021 American Community Survey estimates were released to the general public today, and while I don't have the time at the moment to post what I discovered in my initial glance, the nutshell version is that 2021 definitely showed very positive (dare I say, impressive) growth in the city's income and educational attainment (as an example, over 50% of 25-34 years olds in Philadelphia now have Bachelor's Degree[!]). Overall, 34.8% of Philadelphians are now college-educated, essentially in-line with the national average (35%), possibly for the first time ever.

Household income and individual earnings both jumped pretty substantially, as well, since the 2019 single-year estimates. Poverty declined ever-so-slightly below 23%.

I didn't get to dig into the race data too much, but it looks like the slow decline of non-Hispanic White and Black Philadelphians and rise of Hispanic and Multi-race residents continues; Asian residents stayed stable, which is likely attributed to lack of immigration during COVID.

Hopefully local news media will dedicate some in-depth reporting on these trends soon!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:17 PM

Construction work begins on luxury apartments at Oxford Valley Mall in Middletown

They are repurposing the Oxford Valley Mall parking lot.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes....y/69496437007/

From the article:

Quote:
Work to develop the first of two apartment buildings planned at Oxford Valley Mall began this week and will continue for the next two and a half years.

The plan calls for some 600-plus luxury apartments at the former Boscov's site.

The mall management released a statement to mall tenants Thursday outlining the project and urging them and their customers and workers to be careful around the construction site.

Large earth-moving equipment was visible at the construction site since Monday and several trees had been uprooted and a portion of the parking lot surface in front of the former Boscov's store was removed. The store is expected to be demolished as part of the project.

Developer Cornerstone Tracy plans to start construction this year on the first of two apartment buildings that will bring a total of 614 new apartments to grounds at Oxford Valley Mall in Middletown.

“We regret any temporary inconvenience you may experience during the construction. While every effort will be made to provide continuous automobile and pedestrian traffic during construction, please be aware of any temporary parking restrictions, road/sidewalk closures or detours that may be posted, the notice stated.

“The safety of residents, motorists, pedestrians and workers will be a priority…During construction, please be aware of any safety signage, barriers, equipment and workers so that we can maintain a safe and secure construction zone.”

Cornerstone Tracy is the developer of the project which will include two apartment buildings on a 20-acre site. Cornerstone Tracy and the mall developer, Simon, first proposed the project in fall 2019 before the pandemic.

Developer spokesman Christopher Dudley said he could not comment further on the development at this time and referred requests for comment to Cornerstone Tracy which could not be reached for comment earlier this week.

I'm a big fan of this project. Repurposing surface parking on a dying mall is a win, there is a Septa station nearby and I previously heard that the apartments would offer a shuttle service to and from the stop.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 4:25 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
It's worth noting that the 2021 American Community Survey estimates were released to the general public today, and while I don't have the time at the moment to post what I discovered in my initial glance, the nutshell version is that 2021 definitely showed very positive (dare I say, impressive) growth in the city's income and educational attainment (as an example, over 50% of 25-34 years olds in Philadelphia now have Bachelor's Degree[!]). Overall, 34.8% of Philadelphians are now college-educated, essentially in-line with the national average (35%), possibly for the first time ever.

Household income and individual earnings both jumped pretty substantially, as well, since the 2019 single-year estimates. Poverty declined ever-so-slightly below 23%.

I didn't get to dig into the race data too much, but it looks like the slow decline of non-Hispanic White and Black Philadelphians and rise of Hispanic and Multi-race residents continues; Asian residents stayed stable, which is likely attributed to lack of immigration during COVID.

Hopefully local news media will dedicate some in-depth reporting on these trends soon!
Great info! How does the poverty rate compare to other cities over 1M people?

Is there a link to share?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
I love the ACS but always struggle with the best place to access easy to use data (other than excel downloads).

Does anyone have a link to the most useable interface? i.e. summary level info by county and census tract?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I just searched the site up and the first thing I see on the front page is this
LMAO what is this.
I believe this was Brad's attempt to show the approx placement of the "new" Comcast building (now Comcast Technology Center) before renderings were available.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 6:35 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaldDeth81 View Post
I believe this was Brad's attempt to show the approx placement of the "new" Comcast building (now Comcast Technology Center) before renderings were available.
I was on his page all last night, he did some good work. I'm glad he was able to move up in ranks and write even more.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Great info! How does the poverty rate compare to other cities over 1M people?

Is there a link to share?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I love the ACS but always struggle with the best place to access easy to use data (other than excel downloads).

Does anyone have a link to the most useable interface? i.e. summary level info by county and census tract?

Here's the "advanced" search function for anyone interested: https://data.census.gov/cedsci/advanced

Wish there was an easier way to filter geography like "cities over 1 million people," but it's a lot more rigid than that.

It's much better/more intuitive than it used to be. But getting to a nitty-gritty data point out of large spreadsheet can be a bit maddening, especially if you want to compare to past years. Definitely something to explore when you've got some time on your hands.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 11:28 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Question: I haven't been back in Philly for several months, have you all noticed more out-of-state license plates? Over in Chicago, folks have been noticing many more license plates from the South. People in the Albany subreddit have also noticed an influx of Southeners, some even introducing themselves to the subreddit.
In 2019, there were New York plates all over my part of Chester County...it was like I'd see one every hour on the hour every day. I was wondering if there had been some big corporate relocation but i don't think that was the case. Then COVID hit and I didn't see that pattern again.

My complex gets a number of new arrivals each year. With over 1000 new apartments with more on the way built in Exton/Lionville in the last year...they are coming from someplace. My neighbors across the hall split their time with their rental here and a home on the Outer Banks. We've had cars with CA and Colorado plates in assigned spots. We tend to get people who want to own homes here in Eagleview and rent until one goes on the market because they don't last long.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 2:17 AM

I used to work in Eagleview for Sunoco. I currently live in Harrisburg and I see tons of NY/NJ plates everyday. This was before and during the pandemic. I am originally from Philly and my significant other is from Plainfield NJ. The 78 corridor brings tons of new residents from Jersey/NY to Pa every year, they settle in The LV, Reading and now Harrisburg,Lancaster,York area. On another note, A couple of days ago 3rd&Brown was referring to the Delaware migration, I find that true also. I know TONS of former classmates, coworkers, friends and family relocating to New Castle ,Kent and even Sussex Counties in Delaware. My nephew is even moving from Mt Airy to right outside of Dover and he settles within the month!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:00 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryiz View Post
I currently live in Harrisburg...
My condolences

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 3:57 AM

Its not that bad, I have lived a lot of places. Not saying that I would pick this as my idea destination, but still.... We are you located at? East Shore I take it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
My condolences

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 3:09 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryiz View Post
Its not that bad, I have lived a lot of places. Not saying that I would pick this as my idea destination, but still.... We are you located at? East Shore I take it?
Nah I am in the Philly area and haven't lived in HBG in a long time but still have family and friends there so still connected to it...I have a love/hate relationship with it and the changes over the years have been interesting to watch.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2022, 1:38 PM

Cooper health to announce a $2 billion expansion of its Camden health-care campus

Quote:
Cooper University Health Care plans a $2 billion expansion of its Camden campus, adding three clinical buildings and likely intensifying the already stiff competition among hospital systems in South Jersey, the nonprofit is scheduled to announce Monday. The project is expected to take a decade to complete.

Construction of the first building, at the intersection of Dr. Martin Luther King Boulevard and Haddon Avenue and in front of Cooper’s Roberts Pavilion, is scheduled to begin next year. It will be used for clinical care and education, Cooper officials said.

A later stage of the plan will create more than 100 new private rooms. When the project is completed, Cooper will have 745 beds, they said.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Sep 20, 2022 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2022, 5:48 PM

Found out about yet another big proposal in Phoenixville. Paradise Village, 200 units, adjacent to the newly completed fire station. Very early stages as it can't be built until Steelworks has completed and extended Hall St to reach this site, which will complete the connection to Paradise Street. But man, the pipeline in Phoenixville is crazy. A couple hundred units under construction and a thousand more on the way. Plus several large SF developments. That town could feasibly hit 25k next census with the way they're building. Sorry for the big pic that's just how it came.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Sep 20, 2022 at 6:03 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations