HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I’m going to recommend that you spend a couple minutes one afternoon and read about it. It is fun to know this stuff and also helps connect the dots with land use and several other planning concepts.

After spending some time with it, should make sense why a food desert for low income urban neighborhoods where people work multiple jobs, are transit reliant, with a job that requires you to be on site and/or perform physical labor, and may or may not be in a single parent household will have different stipulations for what a food desert is considered for people who don’t have to worry about what delivery fees or whether a company accepts food stamps.

I’ll add, I am not familiar whether SNAP is covered on any or perhaps select delivery platforms. Come to think of it, other than regular delivery from restaurants, I don’t think I’ve ever had groceries delivered.
Very interesting insight. I would be interested in learning more about these things. I do know that SNAP is now issued via debit cards. So, technically, people can use their SNAP debit cards to grocery shop online. I think that this is fantastic, as there are many people who are elderly or disabled and this allows them some form of independence. The delivery fees are a different story. However, I do not think that they are cost prohibitive. The money that would go into gas, or paying for transit both ways to the grocery store is probably about the same...give or take.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:26 PM

According to Georgia Tech's twitter:
"The newest additions to Tech Square will be built at the intersection of 5th and Spring St. Scheller Tower will be the new home of our MBA program and George Tower will be home of our top-ranked ISyE program. Both are slated to open by the end of 2022."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
According to Georgia Tech's twitter:
"The newest additions to Tech Square will be built at the intersection of 5th and Spring St. Scheller Tower will be the new home of our MBA program and George Tower will be home of our top-ranked ISyE program. Both are slated to open by the end of 2022."

If the buildings are going to be ready by end of 2022, you'd have to think groundbreaking would be in the next several months.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
If the buildings are going to be ready by end of 2022, you'd have to think groundbreaking would be in the next several months.

I think I remember someone saying that Tech Square phase 3 did not get funded by the Board of Regents this year. Assuming that it gets funding next year, it will probably push the timeline back by one year.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
And I seem to recall that this project didn’t get State Funding in the most recent effort/opportunity. Perhaps there’s internal knowledge or expectation that it will be approved in the next round. Anyone know how often the various University Project funding proposals are taken up by the State?

ATLotb

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 3:44 PM

Empire’s Stein Steel concepts seem thoughtful to the area. They’re keeping the parkspace by Lang Carson, which is nice. Limited new parking, which is awesome. More retail along the BeltLine adding no new parking, repurposing the too from the stein steel building. All units are condos and townhomes.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:52 PM

RangeWater planning apartment project on the Beltline

Quote:
A long-vacant car battery factory located on the Atlanta Beltline could soon be transformed into more than 300 apartments, as a developer hopes to snap up the prime real estate in southwest Atlanta.

The planned residential development by RangeWater Real Estate, formerly Pollack Shores Real Estate Group, is one of dozens popping up along the planned 22-mile loop of multi-use trails, transit and parks that would connect 45 neighborhoods located around the city’s urban core. It is one of the country’s largest urban redevelopment projects. It's also the city’s most comprehensive transportation and economic development project that has attracted roughly $5 billion in private investment, mostly in real estate, over the past decade.

RangeWater is currently under contract to buy the former Exide Technologies battery manufacturing plant at 1246 Allene Ave. The property is located near the intersection of the Southside and Westside Trails in the historic Capitol View neighborhood. A few blocks away is Murphy Crossing, a 20-acre industrial site owned by the city.

RangeWater wants to build the 323-unit apartment development with a coffee shop on the 8.5-acre site. It would be the first new, large market rate development in the neighborhood “in recent history,” said Joseph Martinez, of RangeWater, during a Sept. 1 community meeting with Capitol View residents.

If all goes well, site construction could begin as soon as next spring, Martinez said. The timeline depends on final design approval from the city as well as buy-in from the community. The developer is scheduled to appear before Neighborhood Planning Unit X that represents the area on Oct. 12. Martinez said the company is also in the process of finalizing financing and obtaining a construction loan.

Multifamily developers along the Beltline also know they can successfully rent their luxury apartments at Midtown and Buckhead rates. Edge on the Beltline, a new complex between Old Fourth Ward and Inman Park adjacent to the Eastside Trail, is renting one-bedroom units for between $1,429-$1,649, according to its website. Elle of Buckhead, on Pharr Road and a block from Peachtree Road, rents one-bedroom units for between $1,456-$2,227, according to its website.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:09 PM

Star Metals

Hi there, I'm a long time lurker of the Atlanta threads. Does anyone know what the status is of the Star Metals project? Has it started construction?

https://starmetalsatlanta.com/project/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Hi there, I'm a long time lurker of the Atlanta threads. Does anyone know what the status is of the Star Metals project? Has it started construction?

Pretty sure the residential portion is leasing and office is topped out. Hotel has not yet started, as far as I am aware. Don’t have a recent photo accessible of the office.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:

Both buildings are topped out with the residential building being closer to completion. The office building is the one one the right side of this image. You can also see the residential's roof (with the a/c units) in the bottom right. This picture is from 9/15/20 so they have made some more progress since then.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFLOuP-JDvv/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:

Here are a couple of shots I took today.

pictures by me.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Both buildings are topped out with the residential building being closer to completion. The office building is the one one the right side of this image. You can also see the residential's roof (with the a/c units) in the bottom right. This picture is from 9/15/20 so they have made some more progress since then.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFLOuP-JDvv/
Is the top of Star Metals that asymmetrical to the north??

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 1:59 PM

1230 West Peachtree

Some more detailed renderings.

The architect lists the client as CA Ventures while it was Hanover that originally presented this project to the Midtown DRC. CA Ventures is the Chicago-based developer of 903 Peachtree, Here Atlanta, and also reportedly has the Cheetah property under contract.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Oct 11, 2020 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 3:42 PM

I like that the office portion/base of the tower is serrated and not just a giant block anymore. Helps escape the design from being monotonous. If the southern third of the top popped up a few more stories, like another small “tier”, it would make a nice constrast from all the big blocky glass towers going in.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I like that the office portion/base of the tower is serrated and not just a giant block anymore. Helps escape the design from being monotonous. If the southern third of the top popped up a few more stories, like another small “tier”, it would make a nice constrast from all the big blocky glass towers going in.
Agree. If this tower is ever built, I hope that new feature is retained.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 9:28 PM
Just a dude

Like the design - glass with a side of glass -hope this comes to fruition!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2020, 11:27 PM

Ten Park East

They have updated the website with views and floor plans. Ten Park East

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
They have updated the website with views and floor plans. Ten Park East

$2.1 million just to hear the same screeching tires and gunshots that I do? It does looks beautiful though.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 3:37 PM

1230 West Peachtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiffTheFox View Post
Agree. If this tower is ever built, I hope that new feature is retained.
I was wondering about this project. I haven't heard anything on it since the DRC presentation and it will probably need an anchor tenant to move forward.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
$2.1 million just to hear the same screeching tires and gunshots that I do? It does looks beautiful though.
I’ll be impressed if this one gets off the ground. FWIW, I haven’t seen any movement on site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta