HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:06 AM
All things are possible

more cranes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSky View Post
I think if projects currently on the board follow through youll see much more than 20k added to the county. Current growth patterns alone will add 10k or so... this doesn't even account for any economic growth. If everything pans out for Mobile county I expect to be approaching and possibly eclipsing anywhere between 450k to 475k in 10 years. I know that could be a 65k addition would be a huge deal but that is 6,500 added per year. The current economic improvements cover a good number of that prediction.

Austal alone will add 2k+ workers... TK still hasn't even met half capacity as of yet... any EADS location along with ancillary business would bring 6-8k. The container port is about to add two more cranes (on which nothing has been reported) thus expanding traffic capacity... this adds warehousing and logistics jobs... also the unnamed "international" project yet to be showcased... and I'm sure there's more to come.
You hit a hot button with me. Tell me more about the two cranes...this I had not heard. If you know about the container port you might know something about the intermodal facility. We really need someone close to the port to tell us what is happening. Speak SouthSky

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:13 AM
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
Local investors paid $1.9 million for a 40,000-square-foot, fully leased office building at 201 St. Michael St., according to court records. Steven McMahon and Richard Inge of Yange, Inge & Associates represented the buyers.
They're about to do a good bit here and also in Orange Beach. Should be interesting to see what comes to fruition.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:28 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tredici View Post
Well, in the most recent estimate for Mobile County, the population jumped about 7 to 8 thousand didn't it? 6,500 isn't unreasonable at all.
I know a 65k addition is a less than overly optimistic figure, but it has been the 40s and 50s since that type of growth has occurred in Mobile county. Most of the growth outside of that period has been relatively steady. I'd say my 'pie in the sky' prediction would be an addition of 100k or so over the next decade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMobile View Post
You hit a hot button with me. Tell me more about the two cranes...this I had not heard. If you know about the container port you might know something about the intermodal facility. We really need someone close to the port to tell us what is happening. Speak SouthSky
These two new cranes are for the Mobile Container Terminal. The cranes are part of the next phase of the development so their purchase isn't that big of a story. The big part of the story is that the MCT has been doing well enough in this economy to warrant this purchase (and a bit ahead of the time). That's good news. That's the extent of my knowledge unfortunately in regards to that terminal. I, however, do know that there will be close to $500mm new private investments in the port area I have not seen in the news. One is for a new coal terminal that is confirmed to be in the neighborhood of $248mm and the other is a warehousing-type investment to which I don't know the numbers. In regards to the intermodal facility, I am not too sure. I can probably get a real information update though.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:35 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Here are my ideas for the bridge's nickname:

-The Cathedral - the two massive pylons would be reminiscent of The Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception.

-That Big A** Thing - self explanatory

-The Moonpie In The Sky

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 3:42 AM
---

Quote:
Here are my ideas for the bridge's nickname:

-The Cathedral - the two massive pylons would be reminiscent of The Cathedral of The Immaculate Conception.

-That Big A** Thing - self explanatory

-The Moonpie In The Sky
Great suggestions, tredici.

I would not be opposed to naming it after Uncle Henry.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 4:54 AM

Great pics Alxx611. Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 2:04 PM
Mobile, Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedMobile View Post
Naming things in Alabama is a memorable "so what". We will call it whatever slang term suits our fancy; ie Dolly Parton bridge!!!
LOL!!! I'm sure it'll be something like that.

Great pics Alxx611!!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2011, 6:21 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Ahhh yes "The Moonpie in the Sky " !

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 5:10 AM
All things are possible

port news

Quote:
I know a 65k addition is a less than overly optimistic figure, but it has been the 40s and 50s since that type of growth has occurred in Mobile county. Most of the growth outside of that period has been relatively steady. I'd say my 'pie in the sky' prediction would be an addition of 100k or so over the next decade.

These two new cranes are for the Mobile Container Terminal. The cranes are part of the next phase of the development so their purchase isn't that big of a story. The big part of the story is that the MCT has been doing well enough in this economy to warrant this purchase (and a bit ahead of the time). That's good news. That's the extent of my knowledge unfortunately in regards to that terminal. I, however, do know that there will be close to $500mm new private investments in the port area I have not seen in the news. One is for a new coal terminal that is confirmed to be in the neighborhood of $248mm and the other is a warehousing-type investment to which I don't know the numbers. In regards to the intermodal facility, I am not too sure. I can probably get a real information update though.
This is great to hear. I remember that the lead time on the earlier container cranes was several years. Have they been ordered yet? I think the purchase of the Mobile Coal Terminal by Walter Energy is a good move as the terminal was very underutilized. I am assuming the 248 million is for Walter. I know there is a lot of land there that has been idle; let's believe Walter will put it to good use. I also remember that the docks bought the old rail car repair yard to make room for warehousing; this land is idle right now as Frascati's has moved out to the old IP site. See what you can find out about the intermodal; we were trying to partner with a railroad but that has not happened. You know plenty and then some!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 3:43 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

If they do decide to build another plant I hope it will be in Alabama

Quote:
Hyundai considering 2nd plant in United States; would join Montgomery-area facility.Hyundai's Montgomery-area plant, which began producing cars in 2005, employs more than 2,700 people and manufactures the company's Sonata and Elantra models. The company set new sales records in the United States in 2010.
http://blog.al.com/live/2011/01/repo...ering_2nd.html

If they decide to choose Alabama I wonder which metro will be the runner up for it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:00 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Mobile City Council approves $30 million for maritime museum

Cool pedestrian bridge ( It will have multi lighting)

Quote:
The Mobile City Council on Tuesday awarded $30 million to six contractors set to do work on the GulfQuest maritime museum and ferry landing.

Councilman John Williams called the museum "one of the biggest investments in our city in a long time."

Four of the six winning bidders are based in Mobile. Three firms who received previous contracts for work on the site and its foundation are all from Mobile, as was the firm that designed the project.

It was a good idea for Sam to divide the contract to local companies .

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 6:53 PM

Link for the article cited above: HERE

Are we sure the bridge is included?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 9:08 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Quote:
Link for the article cited above: HERE

Are we sure the bridge is included?
When they first proposed the idea it was included because they wanted a safer way for tourist to cross water street.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 9:47 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I hope it's included. Just the sheer interest in the bridge alone would be enough to drag thousands to the museum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 9:56 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

I agree and the lighting on the bridge will be nice to see exiting off to water street.The bay lounge and restaraunt acroos the street in the River View hotel has a nice light show at night as well so it will be nice to see.

Also this is the first rendering I have seen with the yachts that the federal goverment offered the city through a grant to purchase($17 mill).The yachts will serve as water taxis.The museum will be the main terminal or transfer point.The other loading terminals will be in Fairhope,Gulf Shores,and Dauphin Island.And they will serve as bay excursions as well wich I assume is part of the museum tour.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port_of_Bama View Post
I agree and the lighting on the bridge will be nice to see exiting off to water street.The bay lounge and restaraunt acroos the street in the River View hotel has a nice light show at night as well so it will be nice to see.

Also this is the first rendering I have seen with the yachts that the federal goverment offered the city through a grant to purchase($17 mill).The yachts will serve as water taxis.The museum will be the main terminal or transfer point.The other loading terminals will be in Fairhope,Gulf Shores,and Dauphin Island.And they will serve as bay excursions as well wich I assume is part of the museum tour.

While the boats pasted on top of this rendering are yachts the actual boats will be much more of the utilitarian variety.

Here is the MPO's study on the new ferry system:
http://www.mobilempo.org/Publications/ferry.pdf

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 11:34 PM
Cat Enthusiast

What's the plan for the these ferries? I know that the region would like to have these going between Mobile and the Eastern Shore, but are Daphne and Fairhope and other cities actually planning to construct docking facilities to encourage the use of these boats?

I'm sure it's been discussed, but it's been so long I feel it needs to be reviewed on here

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 2:06 AM

Quote:
What's the plan for the these ferries? I know that the region would like to have these going between Mobile and the Eastern Shore, but are Daphne and Fairhope and other cities actually planning to construct docking facilities to encourage the use of these boats?

I'm sure it's been discussed, but it's been so long I feel it needs to be reviewed on here
Most of the funding for the ferries and terminals will come from federal subsidies according to the report I quoted above. The actual number is about 80% federal which leaves 20% for regional/local.

Also, a report cited in the MPR today predicts a 2.1% increase in employment per year in Mobile for the next 5 years. (second in Alabama behind Huntsville)

Here is the article:
http://blog.al.com/press-register-bu...pected_to.html

Mobile employment expected to grow more than 2 percent a year over next 5 years
Published: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 5:16 PM
Updated: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 5:20 PM
By Jeff Amy, Press-Register
Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- IHS Global Insight projects that employment will grow in Mobile by 2.07 percent a year between 2010 and 2016, ranking Mobile No. 73 among 392 urban areas examined by the economic forecasting firm.

Mobile is projected to have the second-fastest job growth among Alabama and Gulf Coast metro areas, trailing only fast-expanding Huntsville, whose 2.41 percent growth is expected to rank No. 30.

The Auburn-Opelika area is the only other Alabama urban area expected to exceed 2 percent annual growth, with its 2.05 percent projected growth ranking No. 79.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 12:48 PM
Jubilee on the Bay !!

Thanks for the link I havn`t seen the ferry routes since they first proposed the idea.So it`s Fowl River instead of Dauphin Island I see.And I forgot about Point Clear and Daphne. I wish i could have a visual of what the ferries would really look like ?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 6:24 PM

Also, the previous mayors of P-cola and Biloxi mentioned possibly wanting an extension of the ferry routes to their downtowns and entertainment areas. I believe New Orleans might have looked at the system also. I do know that Fairhope couldn't decide on a site a few years ago. They don't want to "mess up" their water front. Maybe that’s why they are looking at Point Clear. It will be neat if the ferries are actually built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast