HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 3:25 PM
-

I think its hard to judge the garage from the rendering I put up. Im sure it will be nice enough and the retail will help with pedestrian activity. Hope it has a neat nighttime lighting scheme though.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 5:24 AM

Unhappy How Embarrassing

I think we all have high hopes for South Market.

Last edited by NOLAforME; Aug 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:34 AM

I can't glean anything from the b/w drawings on what the garage will look like. It's far to fuzzy and lacks any detail.

Also, the Spirit Airlines announcement is big. I could see additional service added to several markets down road...including some Central American and Carribean destinations. Spirit is a low cost airline, so it will be very successful here in NOLA with vacationers. If they start service to LAS...I'll be flying them instead of Southwest.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 1:30 PM

Yeah. Spirit airlines will be nice. Even having to transfer in dallas will make it a lot easier for me to travel!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 2:30 PM

City Planner

The City of New Orleans is currently advertising for a City Planner position. The application deadline is Friday, July 20th. If interested, visit www.nola.gov.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 3:47 PM

Health Complex

The foundation building going up:

The first stationary crane on the VA site (all the other ones are UMC so far)

UMC is starting on the 3rd floor!

ALSO, PLANS FOR THE GRAND PALACE'S IMPLOSION ON SUNDAY AT 8AM!?!?!?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
The City of New Orleans is currently advertising for a City Planner position. The application deadline is Friday, July 20th. If interested, visit www.nola.gov.

I'm about to start my masters in urban planning at UNO in the fall. Hopefully, I will see this posting again in a year or two!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 5:16 PM

The cranes are finally in the sky, better late than never.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
The cranes are finally in the sky, better late than never.
@Hizzoner: I knew Blakely could get it done! #selfindulgence

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 7:11 PM

Southern Food & Beverage Museum

It is partnering with the NOLA Public Library to create the largest culinary library in the South which will be just down the street from the museum and close to Reconcile....nifty!

http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2..._river_default

Quote:
It's official: New Orleans will have the largest culinary library in the South, a partnership between the Southern Food and Beverage Museum and the New Orleans Public Library.

The library will be located in the same block as Cafe Reconcile at 1609 O.C. Haley Blvd., and is scheduled to open in 2013, just down the street from the new location of the Southern Food and Beverage Museum, scheduled to open at 1504 O.C. Haley Blvd. in the spring of 2013 in what used to be the Dryades Street market.

The area has not had a library since the 1940s.

The museum already has more than 9,000 volumes of cookbooks, menus, recipes, archivial documents and other literature about food and foodways of the South that will be housed there.....
- Rendering credit: Thoron

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:17 PM

St. Roch Market

According to their facebook page, St. Roch Market is holding the groundbreaking on Monday, July 23 at 2:15pm!!!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:22 PM

Magazine St. Dat Dog!

Dat Dog is expanding into a space on Magazine- 3336 Magazine. That is the old uniform shop across from the new Jamba Juice!

That strip of Magazine is turning into an eaters row!

http://www.gardendistrictassociation.com/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 8:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
- Rendering credit: Thoron
More images here:
http://officejt.com/sofab

The same architect is also developing a proposal for the east building of the Dryades Market, to become performance space for the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra.
http://officejt.com/nojo

He's also doing the apartments on Saratoga that I posted a few months ago.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 4:26 AM
-

There is also a sign on Carondelet and Terpsichore showing the master plan for the New Orleans Culinary Institute. This area town is destined to be a foodies information heaven.

Found this rendering on the Sofab architects website. What is this very large tower in the rendering? do they know something we dont lol

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:00 AM
TL;DR

It's not a real skyline, the buildings are just pasted together. I think the big one is supposed to be Place St Charles.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:01 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's not a real skyline, the buildings are just pasted together. I think the big one is supposed to be Place St Charles.
Everyother building is in its right place and this doesnt look like Place St Charles. Just curious why they did it!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Everyother building is in its right place and this doesnt look like Place St Charles. Just curious why they did it!
It looks like it's about where Trump Tower would be (right around Poydras and Camp/Magazine).

And no, I don't think it's intended to be Trump Tower!

The K&B building to the far right of the picture is also terribly out of place.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 5:22 AM

I saw that too, it's definitely not Place St. Charles. Hopefully it is a new tower planned, even if it isn't too fancy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
There is also a sign on Carondelet and Terpsichore showing the master plan for the New Orleans Culinary Institute. This area town is destined to be a foodies information heaven.
Most of that block was owned by Alton Doody who passed away last February or March. My exgf was his personal assistant who then went to Columbus, OH to work for the family in their corporate offices. They founded Bravo, Brio, and a variety of other restaurants which many are localized to that area of the country, but of course we do have Bravo down here.

I knew Alton fairly well in the last year or two of his life and he worked hard to open the institute up until the day he died, but the family has no interest in pursuing the project and those parcels, including the mansion and parking lot, have been up for sale for quite some time. I've seen the for sale signs change from time to time, but I'm not sure if any of the parcels have sold.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2012, 3:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
Most of that block was owned by Alton Doody who passed away last February or March. My exgf was his personal assistant who then went to Columbus, OH to work for the family in their corporate offices. They founded Bravo, Brio, and a variety of other restaurants which many are localized to that area of the country, but of course we do have Bravo down here.

I knew Alton fairly well in the last year or two of his life and he worked hard to open the institute up until the day he died, but the family has no interest in pursuing the project and those parcels, including the mansion and parking lot, have been up for sale for quite some time. I've seen the for sale signs change from time to time, but I'm not sure if any of the parcels have sold.
Given the changes occurring a block away in relation to food a culinary institute there makes more sense than it ever has! Lets hope something occurs as I think the synergy of all those places together will be quite interesting. I think food and beverage can be just like the biosciences and putting people together from all aspects of the process could lead to interesting thoughts concepts and creations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations