HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:05 AM

258-264 Christie Street | ?m | 8s | Batay-Csorba l pre-construction

I could live here. Matches my teal blue cotton shirt.

This firm does amazing stuff with brick. Originally from Ontario, Batay-Ssorba are a husband and wife architecture team who returned home from Los Angeles in 2010, where they had worked under Frank Gehry and Thom Mayne.

UT

UT

Love this courtyard.

UT

Last edited by Maldive; May 25, 2024 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:50 PM

2 interesting proposals for the Portlands further east of the planned Villiers Island community and parks. Both proposals are located near McCleary Park, which will be seeing a number of new proposals in the future… nice to see signs of a future build-out of residences/mixed-use on the eastern portion of the Portlands.

The 2 sites are just south across Lake Shore Blvd. from Cadillac Fairview’s massive East Harbour development. The East Harbour GO Train and new subway station/interchange, which has begun site work, is seen upper left below.

The Villiers Island community (Lower Don Lands) will be on the bottom left of the Context Plan below:

Northern Light

120 Bouchette St l 156.2m l 49s l 1956565 Ontario Inc l Turner-Fleischer l pre-construction

Turner-Fleischer doing their (best yet) imitation of BDP Quadrangle architecture. Three towers of 43, 46 and 49 storeys. The 49 storey tower (156.2m) would make it in to the 150 metre+ Proposals thread.

Northern Light

Northern Light

115 Saulter St. S l 140m l 45s l Castlepoint Numa l COBE l site Massing

Great to see Danish architects Cobe’s name attached to a proposal further east of the planned Villier Island community. The 45 snd 40 storey split pyramids massing is... intriguing ;-).

Northern Light

Northern Light

Last edited by Maldive; May 25, 2024 at 2:00 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:58 PM
sick transit, gloria

The Christie st proposal is great. Love the brickwork, colour and scale. Only complaint I’d have is that there’s no retail and it replacing existing retail units. But that’s minor - build a ton of these.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:16 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Here is a screenshot from the architectural plans, showing the heights including the mech. penthouse of 120 Bouchette St.

Building A - 145.5 metres, 43 floors

Building B - 154.35 metres, 46 floors

Building C - 163.2 metres, 49 floors

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:52 PM

Eastern Avenue Transit-Oriented Community | 44.4m | 11s | Infrastructure ON | SvN l pre-construction

UT

UT

UT

1400 Gerrard East | 27.2m | 7s | Percy Ellis | Brander l Approved

UT

UT

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:39 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I like the style and scale of those two!

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:41 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

It'd be better if the brick carried all the way up instead of switching to stucco (?) past the front facade, but the scale & massing of 1400 Gerrard is great. This is the kind of building we need thousands more of on commercial streets in our city - and fewer block-spanning, wide mid-rises.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:30 PM
sick transit, gloria

Indeed. Many more of these and fewer land assemblies on historic main streets would be great. Looking at the proposal map on UT I see there's quite a few more proposed than I'd thought, and anecdotally I'm seeing more 2 storey additions on existing main street buildings.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:30 AM
surely you agree with me

That green building is the best thing posted in this thread in a long time. So many boring Toronto towers. Finally something interesting.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 12:38 PM
I am the law!

Indeed however, the green building isn't going to cram in the masses like ubiquitous Bouchette block. The courtyard is a little too communal for my tastes.

Gerrard, eh? It's so thin the design matters less. What matters is the number of suites per floor. Anything more than 2 (or 1) is warehousing people.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 1:10 PM

The redevelopment of Duck Island in Richmond. Strategically located between Vancouver and YVR and adjacent Bridgeport Station on the Canada Line.

Quote:
Dubai developer announced as partner for approved Richmond Night Market site redevelopment into an entertainment district

Last week in a public hearing, Richmond City Council unanimously and swiftly approved the official community plan (OCP) amendments and rezoning for the redevelopment of the Richmond Night Market site at Duck Island into a “world-class” entertainment district, with hotels as the largest use.

This will be a significant project with 100% commercial uses, entailing 1.32 million sq ft of hotel uses, 910,000 sq ft of office/institution space, 540,000 sq ft of entertainment space, and 622,000 sq ft of retail/restaurant uses — all within nearly a dozen mid-rise buildings up to 12 storeys. This is intended to be a lively vibrant tourist and regional destination.
Quote:
The amount of hotel floor space slated for the redevelopment could potentially generate several thousand hotel rooms, plus supporting spaces for events, meetings, and conventions. It could become one of the largest clusters of hotel rooms in Metro Vancouver outside downtown Vancouver.
Quote:
“Duck Island has all the elements to become a leading international commercial hub and a premier entertainment complex, including multiple hotel brands that can attract business and leisure travellers from every segment,” said Matt Wehling, senior vice president, development of US and Canada for Hilton.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/rich...on-cayan-group

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 1:31 PM
I am the law!

I would take this more seriously if they instead proposed a supertall in Richmond.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I would take this more seriously if they instead proposed a supertall in Richmond.

<anxious airport flightpath noises>
+ <gurgling the land is wet sand noises>

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:53 PM

3730 Kingston Road | 72.5m | 22s | TAS | SvN l pre-construction

Site is the parking lot (and small building) in the center of pic.

TwinHuey

UT

UT

TwinHuey

UT

UT

Rushden Station | 138.1m | 39s | Fitzrovia | bKL Architecture l site shoring

39, 37 and 29 storeys with nearly 1,000 rentals, community centre, public space/park and retail.

TwinHuey

UT

TwinHuey

Pape Transit-Oriented Community | 99.72m | 29s | Infrastructure ON | SvN l demo complete/site prep

Huge block busting for this one. Rentals (incl affordable) and retail.

flonicky

UT

UT

From a couple of weeks ago.

TwinHuey

UT

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:14 PM
I am the law!

They are dropping foundation caissons and walls at Rushden. No shoring for excavation required. Tallest towers without basements in Toronto and perhaps Canada. Just to cover the bases, East tower has a utility basement

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:30 PM

There's a bunch of Waterloo Region projects to update, however this one kinda stands out and deserves it's own post.

Isabella Waterloo

https://www.therecord.com/news/water...7c9cf6721.html
Boutique condo in Waterloo will have units starting at $1.85M
The 11-storey building at 28 Dorset St., Waterloo, across the street from the old Carnegie library, will have only 29 residential units, ranging from 1,222-4,884 square feet.
Catherine Thompson Reporter May 29, 2024
Quote:
“The design will be reminiscent of New York in a Beaux-Arts architectural style,” said Colleen Whitney, sales representative with Whitney and Company Realty. “There isn’t another multi-res building existing or in the works featuring this design style in Kitchener-Waterloo.” The building will add to the streetscape, said architect Richard Wengle of Richard Wengle Architect Inc. in a promotional video. At street level, the building will have recessed arcades, similar to those in European cities. As well, the upper storeys step back gradually away from the street, and feature large terraces. “We wanted the building to have a bespoke quality, one of luxury,” Wengle said. “We really want this to feel like a New York building. They’re elegant, they’re very friendly at the pedestrian scale, they’re identifiable, but they have a warmth to them. It’s not a cold, frosty building.” Residential units will have 10- to 14-foot ceilings as well as balconies. Upper-level units have higher ceilings as well as large terraces.
The development proposal is in the final stages of site plan approval, Whitney said. Construction is expected to start next spring, with occupancy in the fall of 2027.
The boutique Isabella condo is slated to go up on Dorset Street in uptown Waterloo. Whitney and Co

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:29 AM

13 fl. - Quebec City (Ste-Foy)
Construction starts this summer

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:12 PM

Not sure why you would want to live in Waterloo if you've got $2 million to bandy about.. Somehow I suspect this will end up being occupied by wealthy students.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Not sure why you would want to live in Waterloo if you've got $2 million to bandy about.. Somehow I suspect this will end up being occupied by wealthy students.
Wow!

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Wow!
To be clear, I don't mean the KWC metro area. I mean downtown Waterloo itself. I imagine people with that kind of capital will go to more desirable areas of the city. I don't imagine people with that kind of money want to be listening to drunk 18-19 year olds hollering up and down the streets at 3am.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada