HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Ah, I think I understand what your real issue is now. You wanted a team in Hamilton and your bitterness is showing. We ended up with a team. You didn't. When will you accept this and move on?
Where do you get that from? I'm a Leafs fan, I couldn't care less if Hamilton had a team. I laugh at Hamilton being used as a pawn, or the silly idea some still have in their mind that his mediocre renovation of Copps will lead to a team.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Leafs win their 7th in a row...
And become one of very few teams who've had players score four hattricks in a month. Tonight it was Bertuzzi, breaking out of his goal drought emphatically, on his birthday no less.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I'm a Leafs fan
Meh, same same.

At the end of the day, opinions are like you know whats; everyone has one. So feel free to keep thinking we don't deserve a team or whatever it is you think of us.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Meh, same same.

At the end of the day, opinions are like you know whats; everyone has one. So feel free to keep thinking we don't deserve a team or whatever it is you think of us.
There you go with the stupid assumptions again. I never said Winnipeg doesn't deserve a team. I'm just commenting on the reality that it isn't just media hype when the chairman of the team is making the statements. Or like my earlier comment that people are saying on other forums that the team is completely safe because of how rich David Thomson is are misinformed.

But I get it, you hate the east, so you must think the east hates you. Keep up the inferiority complex, don't matter to me.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:02 AM

Quote:
There you go with the stupid assumptions again. I never said Winnipeg doesn't deserve a team. I'm just commenting on the reality that it isn't just media hype when the chairman of the team is making the statements. Or like my earlier comment that people are saying on other forums that the team is completely safe because of how rich David Thomson is are misinformed.

But I get it, you hate the east, so you must think the east hates you. Keep up the inferiority complex, don't matter to me.
You implied that we can't support out team in your previous posts. Quit acting innocent and own up to your own stupid assumptions.

Anyway, I won't waste any more of my time arguing with a holier-than-thou Leafs Fan (typical).

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:02 AM
Community Guy

Calgary doing a great job at throwing Edmonton off of its game, which seems to be more and more about giveaways and poor team play.

Hell of a game to watch thus far though.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:55 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

A glorious night.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 1:04 PM

Quote:
You implied that we can't support out team in your previous posts. Quit acting innocent and own up to your own stupid assumptions.

Anyway, I won't waste any more of my time arguing with a holier-than-thou Leafs Fan (typical).
No, I'm saying your chairman is implying that (outright saying it). How many games do your parents take you to?

Are you bitter because the Jets are ignored on Hockey Night in Canada unless they play the Leafs?

How come you stopped posting your team's standings in January by the way?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 4:25 PM
Community Guy

Let's be very clear here, it ain't Skinner.

Sure he should have had 1 of those first 4, but last night he had almost no support, faced multiple turnovers which led to breakaways or odd man situations.

Our forwards were generally soft on the puck in south of the hashmarks and simply didn't finish when they had the chance, unlike Calgary.

Love this guy and his head on analysis; Knoby knows.
https://www.nhl.com/oilers/video/pos...-6347614368112

Last edited by Coldrsx; Feb 25, 2024 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:14 PM

Big win over Boston for the Canucks at home. Down 2-0 with 7 mins to go and win 3-2 in OT.

All while suffering the indignities of another 4pm home game.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Big win over Boston for the Canucks at home. Down 2-0 with 7 mins to go and win 3-2 in OT.

All while suffering the indignities of another 4pm home game.
I actually thought of you last night when they played the end of the game after the Ottawa game ended. Thought that was only a Toronto thing lol.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
The talk in Winnipeg is because Chipman said it. All I see online is people saying "no way they are leaving, we have the richest owner in the league". No doubt True North can sustain the team if their rich owners want to keep stroking a check. But billionaires don't get to be or remain so by propping up a money losing enterprise. At some point, Thomson will look at how much the team loses compared to how much the value of the team grows and decide one doesn't over ride the other. It was well known going in that it was going to be a tough ride for Winnipeg. Smallest permanent arena in the league, smaller corporate base to draw on, higher ticket prices because of the smaller capacity. People already complained about ticket prices in the first few years and the salary cap has gone up, what, 30% since then?

The difference with this situation and Arizona is the Arizona owner(s) have all been bullish on keeping the team there. They weren't threatening to move. Well, there was that one guy who tried to sell the team to the Blackberry guy (and we'd probably be having the same conversation about the Hamilton/Kitchener Coyotes right now, if not sooner if that had been allowed to happen back then too. More so because of Ballsillie's rapidly disappearing wealth than anything to do with the team support).
Ottawa has the smallest corporate base. I'm pretty sure the Jets make money based on the numbers we have seen from Sportico and Forbes, but the question is is that enough money for Thomson and Chipman. Right now I am hesitant to say yes. National corporate sponsorships and the increase in the national and regional tv deals have allowed this to happen. Back to Ottawa, if they there percentage of season ticket holders is 45%, I see no reason why Winnipeg can't boost their percentage from the present 15% to somewhere around that number. The corporate community needs to step up.

The Arizona owner is able to sustain the team with moderate losses in large part thanks to his team's actual salary. They take on a lot of other teams' contracts for players on long-term IR to clear the salary floor but they are only paying a fraction of those contracts. The team's trading those contracts are paying for the vast majority of those contracts. If the owner can get his plot of land with substantial real estate development potential and a heavily subsidized arena then that team will stay. Right now, things don't look good and I suspect if there is no traction on a potential deal by this spring/summer, the team will likely move by next season or the following one.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
It isn't just made up media hype when the boss is telling me these things. The Sens and Flames are both averaging more than 4000 more per game than the Jets. What exactly does TNSE need to do to make fans get those warm and fuzzies? A top 6 team in the league isn't enough for you guys?
It's the corporate community that needs to step up and buy packages. That won't happen during the regular season, it will happen in the off-season. The non-corporate community has stepped up and done their job buying packages. The rapid rise in housing prices and grocery prices over the past year hasn't really changed (food inflation starting to slow down a little bit finally) over the past 3 years. That is why you really have only seen a few sellouts this season despite the team's performance. With that said, the attendance has averaged something like 14,300 over the past 7 or so games so there has been some recent positive movement. Still, we will see at least a few games with crowds in the 13,000 range throughout the rest of the season despite the team's performance.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 5:13 AM
Community Guy

Huge night for Skinner with 38 saves... even after the above.

The offensive side of things had improvements, but not a ton of quality chances once again and individual efforts versus passing plays.

BUT, again, little mistakes all over the place and a poor PP. We get given two PPs with what, 6 minutes to go and cannot get a shot on one and don't score on either? You have to capitalize on one of those to put these games away.

Better, but not good enough for almost March.

That said, a W is a W and I will take this one.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 2:50 AM

Golden Knights really love to break up Canadian team winning streaks lol.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 2:55 PM

Quote:
I will happily add to the list; our team isn't going anywhere bro, no matter how many negative articles are published saying they are. We, as a city, are already aware the Canadian media hates us and loves discussing our alleged potential demise; we knew this would be the deal from the start. Many teams are having attendance issues, but of course the focus will be on us because people love to be negative about anything that has to do with our city.

Jets fans: Where are the articles about Calgary's or Ottawa's attendance issues? They are way down as well.

Canadian media: Nope, let's just focus on Winnipeg. Rough patch for attendance at Jets games? Let's write multiple negative articles about them leaving because that will get us lots of clicky clicks!!!!

Same old unoriginal tiresome shite from our beloved Canadian media.It honestly feels like us vs the ROC much of the time.

What really needs to be fixed is how the ticket holders are treated by TNSE, and THIS is the primary reason for a lackluster seasons with ticket holders. When TNSE stop treating us like a cash cow and more like valued clients, people will come back. Attendance had already been increasing over the last few months as it is.
Thanks for the morning laugh! WOW, paranoia runs deep at Portage & Main. Must be due to the frigid cold. The ROC and the Canadian media does not think much about an inconsequential place like Winnipeg. Should they ever do, three words immediately come to mind: cold, mosquitoes, dump.

You may want to do some reflection. It's not the "Canadian" media or the ROC bringing up the issue of poor attendance at Jets games. It's coming from the OWNER of the Jets himself. Or is Chipman part of the hate conspiracy against Winnipeg?

Anyhow, the Jets issue is being picked-up by US sports commentators:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbeQqDRHVCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ous_cwLvLT0

The fact the Jets has $29 tickets available for last night's game against St. Louis and attendance was only 13,139 on the night when Bettman was in town does not speak well.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 3:35 PM
Community Guy

Calgary raising value for some players or wanting to make a run of it?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:51 PM

For the sake of the Jets franchise and fans, the team better make a deep run in the playoffs.With all the talk around poor attendance and lack of corporate support, if the Jets crash and burn in the first round, it will not be good times.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:37 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Thanks for the morning laugh! WOW, paranoia runs deep at Portage & Main. Must be due to the frigid cold. The ROC and the Canadian media does not think much about an inconsequential place like Winnipeg. Should they ever do, three words immediately come to mind: cold, mosquitoes, dump.

You may want to do some reflection. It's not the "Canadian" media or the ROC bringing up the issue of poor attendance at Jets games. It's coming from the OWNER of the Jets himself. Or is Chipman part of the hate conspiracy against Winnipeg?

Anyhow, the Jets issue is being picked-up by US sports commentators:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbeQqDRHVCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ous_cwLvLT0

The fact the Jets has $29 tickets available for last night's game against St. Louis and attendance was only 13,139 on the night when Bettman was in town does not speak well.
Very rude post - have you ever been to Winnipeg ?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 8:42 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Calgary raising value for some players or wanting to make a run of it?
Hoping for both (i.e. get value in return for pending UFAs Hanifin & Tanev) and try to sneak in. Will be next to impossible though at this point without those two on D.
Markstrom trade talk has died down since the Flames were in NJ a couple of weeks ago. If Marky gets traded it feels like a summertime deal. Without him the Flames chances of squeaking into the playoffs would be nil IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada