HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
I'm still convinced they're going to take advantage of the Federal Opportunity Zones. Here are all of the Federal Opportunity Zones in Travis County. Only one of which is in the path of rail lines, the area south of Hwy 290 between Manor and Elgin.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...7.2325,30.4691
Compelling.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:23 PM
Rundberg & I35

How about Tesla buying the Circuit of the Americas and building their headquarters there?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
How about Tesla buying the Circuit of the Americas and building their headquarters there?
Open it up to the pubic and sell it as "the Tesla driving experience."

"Come experience Ludicrous Mode in person!"

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:32 PM

Quote:
I'm still convinced they're going to take advantage of the Federal Opportunity Zones. Here are all of the Federal Opportunity Zones in Travis County. Only one of which is in the path of rail lines, the area south of Hwy 290 between Manor and Elgin.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...7.2325,30.4691
You and I are talking about the same area. That is the Cap Metro rail line. It's currently used for freight and part of a future extension of the Green Line Commuter Train. However, Project connect is only funding the Green Line to Loyola/Colony Park.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Open it up to the pubic and sell it as "the Tesla driving experience."

"Come experience Ludicrous Mode in person!"

I'm in.

Actually headed over there to ride my bike with the kiddos at 5. Pumped!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 7:00 PM

Hmmm. Maybe the increased density in the Velocity development is correlated with the Tesla factory. That would put the factory near 130/71 in another development zone. The only thing is there is no freight rail line. All cargo would need to be trucked to a freight rail facility via 130.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
You and I are talking about the same area. That is the Cap Metro rail line. It's currently used for freight and part of a future extension of the Green Line Commuter Train. However, Project connect is only funding the Green Line to Loyola/Colony Park.
Yea, I was just reinforcing your theory. I'm guessing east of Kimbro Rd, north of the rail tracks on the border of the Austin ETJ.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 2:11 AM

"underutilized site that is in clear need of revitalization and it would be a perfect fit for an environmentally focused organization like Tesla" ...the last time I heard of any piece of land discribed as such was the Martin Marietta gravel quarries off of 130, otherwise known as the Austin Green project. A 2000+ acre piece of land that was to become master planned community with 12,000 homes. The PUD has been recommended for approval by staff but hasn't made it's way to council yet.

But of course there's no rail there...yet. With rail coming to the airport within a few years (pending voter approval), any logistics to haul supplies and vehicles to a rail yard on Burelson Rd would be temporary if they can eventually extend the line to 130. The other option is to lay down tracks north along 130 to meet up with the line in Manor.

Just spitballing. Of course "underutilized site that is in clear need of revitalization" could refer to a number of sites, including COTA, but few are as large and are within Travis county.

Quote:
Charisse Bodisch, the vice president of economic development at the Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce, said her organization has had "multiple conversations" with Tesla and that the electric carmaker hasn't made a final decision about its next assembly plant.

"The potential location being explored is an underutilized site that is in clear need of revitalization, and it would be a perfect fit for an environmentally focused organization like Tesla," she said in a statement to Austin Business Journal. "We are home to a talented and diverse workforce, and we are grateful that Austin is being considered. We will continue to make the case for why this would be a win for Tesla and for our community when it comes to job creation, economic impact and workforce development."

She did not disclose the potential site.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 4:20 AM

Quote:
"underutilized site that is in clear need of revitalization and it would be a perfect fit for an environmentally focused organization like Tesla" ...the last time I heard of any piece of land discribed as such was the Martin Marietta gravel quarries off of 130, otherwise known as the Austin Green project. A 2000+ acre piece of land that was to become master planned community with 12,000 homes. The PUD has been recommended for approval by staff but hasn't made it's way to council yet.

But of course there's no rail there...yet. With rail coming to the airport within a few years (pending voter approval), any logistics to haul supplies and vehicles to a rail yard on Burelson Rd would be temporary if they can eventually extend the line to 130. The other option is to lay down tracks north along 130 to meet up with the line in Manor.

Just spitballing. Of course "underutilized site that is in clear need of revitalization" could refer to a number of sites, including COTA, but few are as large and are within Travis county.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline
While I agree with others that the lot between Manor and Elgin on 290 and the lot between Hutto and Taylor make the most sense, I'm starting to think its the Eightfold/Austin Viie/Tech 3443/Old Motorola site on 183. That place needs revitalization and you could build a short rail spur off the green line on the southern end of the property. It is not in one of the opportunity zones, but it is the heart of East Austin. That property could house a large manufacturing facility and corporate offices. Would be a good fit IMO

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:

But of course there's no rail there...yet. With rail coming to the airport within a few years (pending voter approval), any logistics to haul supplies and vehicles to a rail yard on Burelson Rd would be temporary if they can eventually extend the line to 130.

The proposed light rail isn’t freight rail, and isn’t set up or rated for such.

Also I’m guessing the existing PUD agreement doesn’t allow industrial uses (though I haven’t looked that up yet). So reset that whole process for a small subset of the property? I don’t think that’ll be the location.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 1:36 PM

We'll know the Tesla details by Tuesday.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
While I agree with others that the lot between Manor and Elgin on 290 and the lot between Hutto and Taylor make the most sense, I'm starting to think its the Eightfold/Austin Viie/Tech 3443/Old Motorola site on 183. That place needs revitalization and you could build a short rail spur off the green line on the southern end of the property. It is not in one of the opportunity zones, but it is the heart of East Austin. That property could house a large manufacturing facility and corporate offices. Would be a good fit IMO
I think it'll be outside COA city limits to avoid taxes. The greater Austin chamber of commerce has been working it which also suggests outside city limits.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
We'll know the Tesla details by Tuesday.
Why Tuesday?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:13 PM

They are not just looking in Travis County. They're also looking in Williamson and Hays counties, as well as other locations in Texas and a couple of other states. Travis is the only one that has leaked talks so far. Tesla is looking for 3 separate requirements - terafactory, cybertruck plant and potential office space. Those three requirements can be together or separate including being in separate cities or states.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 6:51 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
They are not just looking in Travis County. They're also looking in Williamson and Hays counties, as well as other locations in Texas and a couple of other states. Travis is the only one that has leaked talks so far. Tesla is looking for 3 separate requirements - terafactory, cybertruck plant and potential office space. Those three requirements can be together or separate including being in separate cities or states.
Out of curiosity - do you have a source for that information?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Out of curiosity - do you have a source for that information?
Second-hand. I've talked to other commercial real estate brokers who have been talking to them.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 1:01 PM

Quote:
I think it'll be outside COA city limits to avoid taxes. The greater Austin chamber of commerce has been working it which also suggests outside city limits.
The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce (Opportunity Austin program) coordinates ALL economic development deals in the Austin Metro, including inside City of Austin limits.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 1:35 PM

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

And the winner is the Austin Green development along 130 between FM 969 (MLK) and 71. Exact site is the NE corner of 130 and the Colorado River.

Quote:
Tesla Inc is evaluating the possible development, design, and construction of a high tech electric vehicle manufacturing plant in Travis County within the Austin Green property located at the intersection of SH-130 and Harold Green Road. Attached is an exhibit that shows the planned layout of the facility on the site and is subject to confidentiality assertions above.
Construction is proposed to commence in Q3 of 2020 pending all required approvals.
Proposed improvements for which the tax limitation is sought would include but are not limited to supporting infrastructure and equipment manufacturing buildings, operations buildings to support the manufacturing process, access roadways, parking lots, loading docks, logistics facilities, material storage tanks, utility distribution improvements including underground utility piping, structural foundations, pads, supports, electrical substations, cooling towers, fire prevention, safety equipment, stormwater management facilities, waste management facilities, and wastewater treatment infrastructure.
The construction would ultimately comprise a 4 -5 million square foot manufacturing
plant. Construction timing is still to be determined but anticipated to be sometime over the next 2-3 years pending required approvals. Construction would include some or all of the following scope.

Last edited by freerover; Jun 18, 2020 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Construction timing is still to be determined but anticipated to be sometime over the next 2-3 years pending required approvals.
I'm a little tempered in my enthusiasm. Elon wants to roll out vehicles by the end of the year. While he tends to make grandiose goals to push and motivate his people, 2-3 years is a far cry from end of the year. His end of year goal could have been a negotiating tactic. Giga Nevada took 2 years just to complete after ground breaking.

Del Valle needs this economic driver. If for nothing else, it'll spur HEB to finally open a store in the food desert. ACC is planning on opening a technical trade campus which will include, among other things, studies in automotive skills. The area is a good fit for Tesla.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin