HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 9:07 PM

Do architects and engineers determine whether a building has historical value? I thought the heritage committee did that.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

From council meeting today

https://twitter.com/SamCraggsCBC?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Lawyer Tim Bulloch & David Blanchard speaking. They plan apts & retail, 30 ft deep, 5 stories, 20k sq ft in the Gore

This presentation is for "Gore Park Apartments." They're ready to apply for site plan approval & a demolition permit. Want to start this yr

Sounds like the facades of 18-22 would be saved. 24 King has no heritage features left, Blanchard said, & 28 King is too unstable

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:36 PM

So where is the high rise?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:57 PM

Disappointing. If they're going to sacrifice the old buildings at least make it worth while with something tall...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

Wilson Blanchard plans apartments and retail for vacant Gore buildings
The buildings have sat empty since 2013, when there was outcry over their potential demolition

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ings-1.3523314

A downtown developer has unveiled plans for a critical row of historic buildings in the heart of Hamilton's downtown that have sat vacant for more than two years.

The company, Wilson Blanchard, is proposing to build Gore Park Apartments, a five-storey building with 14 units in the row of boarded-up buildings in the Gore, which run from 18 to 28 King St. E.

Architect David Premi and lawyer Tim Bullock, representing the developer, told city councillors on Wednesday that the plan includes maintaining the facades of 18 to 22 King St. E., and having more than 3,000 square feet of retail on the ground floor.

The remaining facades, and the back ends of the buildings, would be demolished.

There was community outcry in 2013 when Blanchard bought the buildings and obtained a pair of permits to demolish them.

It's the first formally presented plan for the buildings since then.

City councillors negotiated with Wilson Blanchard and pre-approved $1.1 million in development grants if the developer was willing to designate them as heritage.

During a dramatic city council meeting that December, the city moved to designate the buildings as heritage to prevent their demolition. Wilson Blanchard is appealing that.

City staff will come back to the general issues committee in a month with a report on the plan. The company hopes to apply for site plan approval as soon as possible, and to start work this year.

Jason Farr, the Ward 2 councillor who prompted the last-minute heritage designation attempt, says he feels the two sides have a workable plan that maintains the heritage feel of the Gore.

Bullock said the company still hasn't determined whether the units will be condos or rental units.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 6:18 PM
Hammer'd

If the new build ends up looking like what the Templar Flats on King William are shaping up like, I could get behind it. The lack of height is a bit disappointing but if it has a quality look to it that respects the heritage of it's neighbors, I think it'll add to Gore Park. At this point given how long the buildings have deteriorated and how much back and forth has gone on with the developers and the city, I think this is the best we can hope for...
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:26 PM

Here's a bigger rendering...

source

The taller residential tower was originally proposed for the Main Street side of the property, I wonder if it will still be built as a future phase?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:37 PM

better than what it has been in the past couple of years.

get it done. need more people of decent income living and frequenting Gore Park.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post

get it done. need more people of decent income living and frequenting Gore Park.
^ this.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:12 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'm still a bit suspicious of him, but this seems somewhat reasonable. Hope the taller Main St. ideas can still happen.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 11:37 PM

meh.

Disappointing for such a high profile site.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:44 AM

I actually really like this design; I hope this happens.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 2:19 AM

blah
don't hate it, certainly don't love it

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 3:12 AM

It's got a bit of a Yorkville vibe - I dig it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:38 AM

I think it's a very suitable proposal. Much better than some tower sticking up from among the historic buildings.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconPoutine View Post
I think it's a very suitable proposal. Much better than some tower sticking up from among the historic buildings.
Once these buildings come down, there won;t be any historic buildings on the block along that side of King St. It'll be modern buildings only.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
Once these buildings come down, there won;t be any historic buildings on the block along that side of King St. It'll be modern buildings only.
With preserved facades on a portion. "the plan includes maintaining the facades of 18 to 22 King St. E." That's more in line with the character of the park than a high rise, in my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:45 AM
Concerned Citizen

Totally unimpressed. What a waste of space in the centre of the core. A five story apartment building in the main intersection of the downtown. Only in Hamilton, would such a uninspired piece of real estate be acceptable.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Totally unimpressed. What a waste of space in the centre of the core. A five story apartment building in the main intersection of the downtown. Only in Hamilton, would such a uninspired piece of real estate be acceptable.
you'd be surprised how uninspiring some pieces real estate are in just about every other city in the country.

this "main intersection" of downtown has a mix of medium rise and low rise buildings. why would we stick a 30 story tower there to stand out like a sore thumb.

seems like whatever happens people are never happy.

"why isn't this a big tower for a major intersection"

"why is this a big tower that sticks out like a sore thumb and ruins the character of the street"

"why does this big/small building look like shit"

I guess the alternative would be better... an abandoned building crumbing to the ground in the core

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Gore park really reminds me of the triangular slice of park along Front street in Toronto near Church. That could be considered "the centre of the core" or pretty close to it, and it's surrounded by historic 4 to 5 story buildings not skyscrapers. The taller towers are set back behind the low rises. Looks great and doesn't completely block out the sun.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64824...2!8i6656?hl=en

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton