HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I think I showed this before, my idea of what to do at Regent & Lag. My only question is how to connect to Almey properly (because I am no civil engineer)
Am I seeing it correctly that you have no "left turns" at Reenders? Just right turns and across?

(Note, I like that)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:24 PM

I think the answer for the Almey properties is fairly simple, you have a yield from north bound Lag onto the street/CU and the exit is only to north bound Lag. Running the access street just east of Lag seems like a non-starter as it would connect too close to the Lag/Renders intersection and likely also be too close to the front door of the Olive Garden. Losing access to/from south bound Lag would benefit the residents of Almey in the long term by significantly reducing the amount of traffic using the street as a shortcut to points east with the trade off being they lose some access.

I have said it before, if Winnipeg is going to get serious about improving the flow of traffic on our existing streets people will need to be willing to give up the shortest path from their house to an "expressway" like Lag or Bishop.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:34 PM
Mooderator

If (ever) the province decides to make some sort of interchange at the Perimeter with hwy 2 and 3, what's going to happen with that Petro-Can/Humpty's place.. will they have to be expropriated? No big loss as their pancakes suck.

I would close the access from 2 entirely.. feed it into the new 3/perimeter interchange.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:38 PM

Olive Garden has to go, there is no other answer. Almey is being closed as of Jan. 1, 2015, when the Reenders extension will be open. So the Credit Union will be stuck in it's own little island. I'm pretty sure they're taking down the lights at some point as well and making it a right in/ right out thing. So there would really be no option for the credit union. The land across Almey from the CU is also up for sale/development. So seems like the Olive Garden has to go, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I have said it before, if Winnipeg is going to get serious about improving the flow of traffic on our existing streets people will need to be willing to give up the shortest path from their house to an "expressway" like Lag or Bishop.
This. Couldn't agree more Cory. I understand everybody wants direct, easy access from residential areas to these "expressways". However if streets like Lag, Bishop are to ever truly function as intended it will take compromise by residents and the political will to see these infrastructure improvements through. The latter seems to be the toughest part!

I really like Biffs idea for Lag...would be a huge improvement over the current mess. Next up would be what to do with the Grassie/Springfield/CPT nightmare. Honestly with CPT now open I can't believe Springfield @ Lag is still a signalized intersection. Is the plan to cut Springfield access eventually?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
This. Couldn't agree more Cory. I understand everybody wants direct, easy access from residential areas to these "expressways". However if streets like Lag, Bishop are to ever truly function as intended it will take compromise by residents and the political will to see these infrastructure improvements through. The latter seems to be the toughest part!
The problem is that councillors can meddle in the process and override the decisions of planners and engineers who understand how these things are supposed to work.

Quote:
I really like Biffs idea for Lag...would be a huge improvement over the current mess. Next up would be what to do with the Grassie/Springfield/CPT nightmare. Honestly with CPT now open I can't believe Springfield @ Lag is still a signalized intersection. Is the plan to cut Springfield access eventually?
I doubt access to Springfield will be cut... it is too important of a route to carve off. The little stub west of Lagimodiere could be relegated to using DeVries as an access route, but the the eastern portion is a moderately major route and there would be an outcry if it were blocked. I guess if an interchange were ever built at McIvor, maybe then Springfield traffic could be directed to Norris Road. I don't see that happening for decades, though... get used to the traffic light there.

Apart from the interchange issue though, I can't believe that Lag is still only 4 lanes the way it was in the 70s. How has there not been any discussion about turning it into a 6 lane road? The congestion between Marion and the north Perimeter is so bad it makes me feel sorry for anyone who has to contend with that every day.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:19 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Apart from the interchange issue though, I can't believe that Lag is still only 4 lanes the way it was in the 70s. How has there not been any discussion about turning it into a 6 lane road? The congestion between Marion and the north Perimeter is so bad it makes me feel sorry for anyone who has to contend with that every day.
Thanks for feeling my pain Esquire. I have grown a major hatred towards Lagimodiere that only started about 5 years ago. The stretch between Marion and Dugald is about the biggest gong show of a road I have ever seen.

The line-ups at the north Perimeter (north-bound) are outrageous almost every evening...frequently extending south past McIvor Ave. It has really degenerated from an almost expressway like roadway into something to be avoided.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I would close the access from 2 entirely.. feed it into the new 3/perimeter interchange.
I always figured it'd be the opposite - if the interchange was at #2 it would give #3 an "Oak Bluff Bypass".

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for feeling my pain Esquire. I have grown a major hatred towards Lagimodiere that only started about 5 years ago. The stretch between Marion and Dugald is about the biggest gong show of a road I have ever seen.

The line-ups at the north Perimeter (north-bound) are outrageous almost every evening...frequently extending south past McIvor Ave. It has really degenerated from an almost expressway like roadway into something to be avoided.
I'm not often in that neck of the woods, but I have learned that Lagimodiere between Marion and Dugald is best avoided unless I want dramatically elevated blood pressure. I don't understand why that short stretch is like molasses, but it's clear that the road is way over capacity there.

I remember the days when Lagimodiere was much freer-flowing than it is now and when there were fewer signalized intersections as well. In some ways it's very similar to the experience with Kenaston - when I was a university student in the 90s I used to barrel down Kenaston to the U of M making great time. Now, during rush hour, Kenaston (also still only 2 lanes despite explosive suburban growth in SW Winnipeg) is barely different than your average city arterial.

Even though Winnipeg never had freeways we sort of got by with the quasi-expressways like Lagimodiere and Kenaston for cross-town traffic, but Biff's right - even those are deteriorating to the point where they barely function that way anymore.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 4:32 PM

Marion is to be closed, made a right in/right out thing whenever the Marion Goulet connection goes forward. The RFP for functional design closed a couple months back. Didn't ever hear who got that contract. It's in the short term range on the Cities planning list. Will it include an overpass at Dugald and Lag, I doubt it. But here's hoping!

So theoretically:
Marion is closed.
Overpass at Dugald of some sort (diamond?).
Somehow close Warman just south of the CN overpass.
Diamond at Regent.
Diamond at Reenders.
Close Almey.
Diamond at Grassie.
Stack at CPT.
Close Springfield and reroute to diamond at possibly McIvor or to Headmaster(might be a stretch.)
Diamond at Headmaster.
Compete Perimeter cloverleaf/fly-over (planned).
Diamond at PR 202 (potentially included with the above).

Freeway from Symington yard to the floodway. Cost anbody? $500M just for the overpasses, never mind the road works in between.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 5:03 PM

Quote:
I think I showed this before, my idea of what to do at Regent & Lag. My only question is how to connect to Almey properly (because I am no civil engineer)
Thanks Biff. I thought I saw it on here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Marion is to be closed, made a right in/right out thing whenever the Marion Goulet connection goes forward. The RFP for functional design closed a couple months back. Didn't ever hear who got that contract. It's in the short term range on the Cities planning list. Will it include an overpass at Dugald and Lag, I doubt it. But here's hoping!

So theoretically:
Marion is closed.
Overpass at Dugald of some sort (diamond?).
Somehow close Warman just south of the CN overpass.
Diamond at Regent.
Diamond at Reenders.
Close Almey.
Diamond at Grassie.
Stack at CPT.
Close Springfield and reroute to diamond at possibly McIvor or to Headmaster(might be a stretch.)
Diamond at Headmaster.
Compete Perimeter cloverleaf/fly-over (planned).
Diamond at PR 202 (potentially included with the above).

Freeway from Symington yard to the floodway. Cost anbody? $500M just for the overpasses, never mind the road works in between.
That sounds fantastic...can't see most of that happening in our lifetimes but we can always dream.

Question on the Marion/Goulet connection. Is a grade separation at Archibald and the adjacent rail line part of this plan?

As for a Dugald/lag diamond..this would seem more possible due to the current existence of the eastern ramp in the form of the rail overpass.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
If (ever) the province decides to make some sort of interchange at the Perimeter with hwy 2 and 3, what's going to happen with that Petro-Can/Humpty's place.. will they have to be expropriated? No big loss as their pancakes suck.

I am not the expert here but seems to be enough land south of Humpty's to just leave them in place, the west side of the intersection could be the bigger problem in and interchange here. I am not fully aware of the traffic patterns but might it be possible to make Hwy 3/McGillvary a "left only" over pass and Hwy 2 a full interchange instead?

Quote:

Thre reality everyone needs to face is if you give up the shortest access path (ie Almey @ Lag, River @ Bishop) in trade of the expressways being able to move traffic faster the overall impact to your total compute team should be minimal. It is the same idea with every small crossing on the Perimeter, elminating a lot of them would make the Perimeter safer for everyone including the handful of people each closing inconviences.

As for Grassie/Springfied/CPT start with a full interchange at CPT then make Grassie and Springfield both left only no overpass routing the traffic through the CPT/Lag interchange if they need to left turn or cross over. The side effect there being that traffic that does not need to be on collector streets (Grassie/Springfield) would be strongly encouraged to use the expressway.

I too am shocked that Springfield is still a signaled intersection. I suspect the businesses on the eastern portion of Springfield pushed strongly to keep that access. I really wish they would close the Springfield closing completely with traffic for south bound Lag needing left turn access to Springfield being able to to it at McIvor and then use and access road east of Lag to get to Springfield. Not a perfect solution but solves the issue with the near useless light so close to CPT.

Quote:
I think the existing grade seperations are exactly why Lag has not been expanded. The Perimeter overpass, the rail overpass south of Lag, the bridge under the CN line south of Marrion and the overpass at the south Perimeter all can only handle four lanes. If you increase the number of lanes between those points you are just creating choke points. The only real hope is having really long exit/merge lanes between the choke points to seperate out the through traffic to try and get it flowing better.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not often in that neck of the woods, but I have learned that Lagimodiere between Marion and Dugald is best avoided unless I want dramatically elevated blood pressure. I don't understand why that short stretch is like molasses, but it's clear that the road is way over capacity there.
My experience is that the light cycle at Dugald/Lag is much too short for the Lag traffic. The light is turning amber once the 10th car back in the lineup is starting to move. Lag has far heavier traffic than Dugald does yet the green light cycles both directions do not reflect this.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Question on the Marion/Goulet connection. Is a grade separation at Archibald and the adjacent rail line part of this plan?
Yes, there will be. That's where the bulk of the money will be spent on that project. Similar to the Disraeli overpassing Point Douglas. This one will be really interesting seeing as how the plan is to demolish all the houses on Doucet Ave. west of Archibald. Again, the functional design is out, but who knows how long it will be until construction. 5 years, 10 years, never?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:45 PM

Quote:
My experience is that the light cycle at Dugald/Lag is much too short for the Lag traffic. The light is turning amber once the 10th car back in the lineup is starting to move. Lag has far heavier traffic than Dugald does yet the green light cycles both directions do not reflect this.
That's a very likely explanation. This situation is endemic throughout Winnipeg... there are a lot of intersections that have ludicrously short green lights, or ludicrously short left-turn arrows. The end result is you have dozens of cars stacked up on major arterials because hardly anyone can get through on a green. In the winter when streets are icy, traffic barely starts moving before lights turn red again.

I find that in many US cities that I've driven in, secondary streets tend to have long red lights while the major streets have long greens.

Last edited by esquire; Oct 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:50 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Marion is to be closed, made a right in/right out thing whenever the Marion Goulet connection goes forward. The RFP for functional design closed a couple months back. Didn't ever hear who got that contract.

MMM Group has been awarded the Functional Design.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:06 PM

Quote:
That's a very likely explanation. This situation is endemic throughout Winnipeg... there are a lot of intersections that have ludicrously short green lights, or ludicrously short left-turn arrows. The end result is you have dozens of cars stacked up on major arterials because hardly anyone can get through on a green. In the winter when streets are icy, traffic barely starts moving before lights turn red again.

I find that in many US cities that I've driven in, secondary streets tend to have long red lights while the major streets have long greens.
It really is. And sadly, the city seems in no hurry to improve these situations. I emailed the city months back about light cycle at Pembina and Plaza Dr. During evening rush hour, Plaza has green light just as long as Pembina does, cars sometimes are lined up all the way north to Chevrier. It's ridiculous. Their response at the time? Basically, they said they need to hear more complaints about it before anything will be done. I actually received a voice message two months or so back, from councillors office stating that they investigated my complaint and agreed with my assessment. Was told changing the cycle has been deemed a priority. As of last night, this cycle is still the same.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
MMM Group has been awarded the Functional Design.
Cool, thanks. They did the PTH 59N/PTH 101 re-functional design update.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 8:23 PM

Quote:
It really is. And sadly, the city seems in no hurry to improve these situations. I emailed the city months back about light cycle at Pembina and Plaza Dr. During evening rush hour, Plaza has green light just as long as Pembina does, cars sometimes are lined up all the way north to Chevrier. It's ridiculous. Their response at the time? Basically, they said they need to hear more complaints about it before anything will be done. I actually received a voice message two months or so back, from councillors office stating that they investigated my complaint and agreed with my assessment. Was told changing the cycle has been deemed a priority. As of last night, this cycle is still the same.
Funny... I recently called 311 to complain about the same issue, but they told me the city was already aware of the issue. Nothing about noting my complaint. Pembina and Point/Windermere going northbound during the afternoon is pretty bad as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan