HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
The Federal Government owns very little infrastructure. Most of its infrastructure is already leased out (e.g. the airports and ports). Outside of niche areas like national parks and military bases, Via is pretty much the start and end of the list.
The airports aren't really "leased out" per say, as airport authorities in Canada such as GTAA are just set up as non-profit quasi crown corporations. Same issue with the port authorities, which are just autonomous federal agencies.

Trudeau's epic failure in allowing pension funds to purchase a stake in Canada's airports is still a raw wound that has made Canadian pension funds weary from investing in our own country.

That's why this whole clown show where Trudeau and the Canadian oligopolies are publicly pressuring Canadian pensions to invest more in Canada is nothing more than political farce. The whole reason Paul Martin ring-fenced our pensions is to protect them from this kind of idiotic political interference that impacts the integrity of our pension funds.

If Trudeau wants more lending/investment to go to Canadian businesses, then stop backstopping the mortgage market and the real estate super bubble, and make it more lucrative for banks to redirect their lending from residential real estate to the real economy.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
I'll never forget what Wynne did on Southern Ontario HSR. She basically had most people convinced they were working on a project to eventually tender. In 2017, we find out they haven't done anything and Wynne announces she's appointing David Collenette as a High Speed Rail Advisor. 2018 election rolls around and Collenette hasn't even finished his study. But Wynne still runs on, "If you elect us, we'll build this."
Even GO RER was gaslighting given the constant delays and noncommital attitudes of Wynne. To the point where I realized Dougie has done most of the heavy lifting to bring the project to fruition. If Wynne was still in power, I have my doubts whether Ontario would have brought DeustcheBahn (or worthy equivalents like SNCF/MTR/RATP) and Alstrom onboard to spearhead the expansion.

I'm not surprised though by this gaslighting approach, since Justin's top advisors like Katie Telford and Gerald Butts were integral cogs of the McGuinty-Wynne machine.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
France would be the perfect model to follow in that regard. Having the whole of France accessible by TGV directly from CDG is nothing short of miraculous. It's a proof of concept that I think should be rolled out in the Windsor-Quebec corridor. The French government is so ahead in embracing the green economy that it makes Trudeau's half-hearted attempts look like amateur hour in comparison.
It really is incredible. You have an infrastructure project that could improve national unity with more people to people contact between Ontario and Quebec, could increase regional integration (like Ottawa-Montreal, Quebec-Montreal, Toronto-Kitchener-London, Toronto-Peterborough), reduce short haul flights and road traffic, and they didn't even bother funding definition studies for the first 4 years in government. Turns out like everything else, their rhetoric on climate wasn't about building anything, but cutting cheques.

I have no idea what the CPC will do with this project. But if they really want to demonstrate executional competence, getting this thing under construction would be a real accomplishment.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Even GO RER was gaslighting given the constant delays and noncommital attitudes of Wynne. To the point where I realized Dougie has done most of the heavy lifting to bring the project to fruition. If Wynne was still in power, I have my doubts whether Ontario would have brought DeustcheBahn (or worthy equivalents like SNCF/MTR/RATP) and Alstrom onboard to spearhead the expansion.

I'm not surprised though by this gaslighting approach, since Justin's top advisors like Katie Telford and Gerald Butts were integral cogs of the McGuinty-Wynne machine.
Yeah. I was skeptical of Ford. But just now looking at the original Big Move document, I'm starting to realize how much Ford has actually gotten moving. We're about 5 years behind in some areas and ahead in others on the 2041 vision.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:30 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what the CPC will do with this project. But if they really want to demonstrate executional competence, getting this thing under construction would be a real accomplishment.
Exactly, and strategic transit expansion (as proven by Dougie) is ideologically aligned with Conservatism, as it's not an entitlement social program. Rather, it's a much needed basic infrastructure investment in Canada's future that will boast business activity, the economy, QOL and productivity. Since the NDP refuses to publicly champion such investments as a top priority, if PP is smart he'd exclusively fill the vacuum and take over this space himself.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:35 PM

Quote:
The airports aren't really "leased out" per say, as airport authorities in Canada such as GTAA are just set up as non-profit quasi crown corporations. Same issue with the port authorities, which are just autonomous federal agencies.

My understanding is they have ground leases with the federal government. They are just incorporated non-profit companies, they have no real ties to the federal government other than the Minister of Transport appointing one board member.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
France would be the perfect model to follow in that regard. Having the whole of France accessible by TGV directly from CDG is nothing short of miraculous. It's a proof of concept that I think should be rolled out in the Windsor-Quebec corridor. The French government is so ahead in embracing the green economy that it makes Trudeau's half-hearted attempts look like amateur hour in comparison.
Sure, Canada misses small things like having functional modern transport, but we get the broad strokes right with the plastic straw and bag bans.

Banning things or implementing taxes is relatively easy while seeing complicated infrastructure projects like transportation networks through to completion is difficult. It's disappointing we haven't seen more of a push toward greener infrastructure as part of the focus on climate change. I wonder if the federal government even has the capacity to drive these projects or if it's just certain lower tiers of government that have experience with certain project types (like BC/ON/QC building transit, some other provinces building highways).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
My understanding is they have ground leases with the federal government. They are just incorporated non-profit companies, they have no real ties to the federal government other than the Minister of Transport appointing one board member.
They're formed by the federal government, so they can be dissolved at will by the government. Legally there's nothing that would stop the feds from regaining direct control over airport.

There's been a lot of discussion lately comparing Canada and Australia, and one thing Australia does particularly well is leverage proceeds from privatisation efforts to fund future capital projects. Canada's public ownership of airports hasn't given any of our international hub airports a competitive edge nor cheaper fares. The infrastructure is also barely inadequate, like the disastrous road network at YUL and the lack of regional rail connections.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Exactly, and strategic transit expansion (as proven by Dougie) is ideologically aligned with Conservatism, as it's not an entitlement social program. Rather, it's a much needed basic infrastructure investment in Canada's future that will boast business activity, the economy, QOL and productivity. Since the NDP refuses to publicly champion such investments as a top priority, if PP is smart he'd exclusively fill the vacuum and take over this space himself.
Whoever is in power around 2032 stands to win major points in the GTA. Just looking at Metrolinx's list of projects and the amount of stuff that comes online between 2030-2032 is Incredible. Scarborough Subway Extension. Ontario Line. Eglinton West extension. Hamilton LRT. And the majority of GO Expansion projects, along with a quarter of buses electrified. And this list doesn't include all the BRTs and LRTs finished before 2030 (like Finch West and Eglinton Crosstown this year). The GTA is probably going to have the best public transport network in North America by 2032. Pair that with transit improvements in a lot of Corridor cities and it's a real tragedy that we don't have a HxR project underway to go along with this transformation.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The Robertson (which no one, literally no one, calls that here -- it's just called "Square" and to be precise, the more common version by far is called "Square Number Two") is really THE one and only default here for everything except drywall screws.

I always assumed all of Canada was like this. (The Vancouver project a few years ago, all our stuff came directly from our American partner, so the Star screws (Phillips) were to be expected; I didn't really get to buy screws over there so I didn't notice what was standard.)
The Phillips is unquestionably the default in the States, and since we get so much of our stuff from there, we end up with a lot of unwanted Phillips screws. They are, however, preferable to flatheads.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Sure, Canada misses small things like having functional modern transport, but we get the broad strokes right with the plastic straw and bag bans. .
Not true!

We also get Trudeau's obligatory bi-weekly condescending diversity speeches. If he spent a little less time at Pride parades and a little more at trying to rebuild our economy and regain our standard of living, he might not be in the fix he's in

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 2:07 AM
recession proof

Na, he's been in power almost 9 years, which is about average for PM since the 1980s before voters tire of a leader.

Your friend PP won't be any different.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Whoever is in power around 2032 stands to win major points in the GTA. Just looking at Metrolinx's list of projects and the amount of stuff that comes online between 2030-2032 is Incredible. Scarborough Subway Extension. Ontario Line. Eglinton West extension. Hamilton LRT. And the majority of GO Expansion projects, along with a quarter of buses electrified. And this list doesn't include all the BRTs and LRTs finished before 2030 (like Finch West and Eglinton Crosstown this year). The GTA is probably going to have the best public transport network in North America by 2032. Pair that with transit improvements in a lot of Corridor cities and it's a real tragedy that we don't have a HxR project underway to go along with this transformation.
And you can thank the Trudeau government for financing most of these. will will return to a transit winter with the next government for sure as the 15-minute city limit your rights wing will not favour more transit funding over road funding.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
And you can thank the Trudeau government for financing most of these. will will return to a transit winter with the next government for sure as the 15-minute city limit your rights wing will not favour more transit funding over road funding.
I'm not worried at all.

1) Reneging on current commitments is exceptionally rare and unlikely to be done, simply because it would cause chaos for the business community (which the CPC cares about) and investment uncertainty. At worst, they'll avoid committing to new projects. But that's a long time away.

2) Neither the federal or provincial governments have anything to do with 15 min cities. Not once has Poilievre complained about zoning liberalization. And he's said he'll make transit funding conditional on cities doing so. I don't see how one can be against 15 min cities and support higher density and looser zoning at the same time.

3) Ontario is budgeting $7B per year through to 2033. If they have to spend $8B because of Poilievre or stretch the schedule to 2034, it's not the end of the world. Shows what a provincial government focused on building transit can do.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Matt Gurney rails about the inability to get a HFR train built.
https://www.readtheline.ca/p/the-lin...utm_medium=web

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Matt Gurney rails about the inability to get a HFR train built.
https://www.readtheline.ca/p/the-lin...utm_medium=web
Nailed it. I've had the exact same complaints. Specifically about HFR. But also the indecisiveness and unwillingness in general to invest in state capacity. I agree with them too that Poilievre won't change much either. Fundamentally, the problem is that our national parties are devolving to cheque cutters. One uses direct payments. The other uses tax cuts. But fundamentally their worldview that government shouldn't exist beyond cutting cheques is the same.

Heck, in this very discussion, the lead LPC proponent is not talking about what the Liberals built. He's bragging about how much the Liberals contributed to things that other governments are building. Cheque cutting.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Fundamentally, the problem is that our national parties are devolving to cheque cutters. One uses direct payments. The other uses tax cuts. But fundamentally their worldview that government shouldn't exist beyond cutting cheques is the same..
I'm partial to tax cuts (especially income tax, GST) over cutting cheques, as it would provide room for the provinces to increase their own rates. At the end of the day, the provinces are responsible for most of the programs that directly impact Canadians, and should be receiving the lions share of the tax revenue. We don't need the federal government to act as final judge and arbiter in deciding how this money is doled out to the provinces, it's a needless layer of bureaucracy and partisan politics.

In an ideal world, the federal government should transfer the taxation points directly to the provinces, stay in its lane and only focus on its core competencies like the border, defense, foreign policy, inter-provincial rail etc.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:32 PM

^ This vision is hard to accomplish in a country where to some extent national unity, or at least a semblance of universal quality of life, is achieved by the federal government using the power of the purse.

But when talking about HFR, we're talking about a project that is entirely in the federal domain. It's inter provincial transport.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:33 PM

It's honestly kind of stupid we even have a Federal government the size that it is. They are sort of spendthrifts on actual national matters and overwhelmingly just function as a massive middleman for local matters. I'm not convinced they are effective redistributors.

It might have made sense 100 years ago but the country is physically and functionally a dozen or so city states now. Yet tax collection is still decoupled from the immediate needs.

I honestly wonder how much better this country this could operate if the tax collection was shifted more from the federal level to the local level.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:38 PM

I would argue that it's provincial governments that are superfluous. Most of the services I interact with daily are delivered by my municipal government and most of the services delivered by the provincial governments are regionalized anyway and could be delivered by municipal governments. But, for a whole bunch of historical and cultural reasons, it's hard to imagine Canada as a unitary state.

Really, the feds are doing to the provinces what the provinces do to municipalities. Here's the question though. How many people would actually vote for a federal party that said they were doing to scrap the Canada Health Act and scrap equalization and just let every province fend for itself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada