HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 12:57 PM

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 12:59 PM

Cool

910,240!

We did it!!!

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:09 PM

Canada has been on the extreme end of immigration post pandemic. Adding people at a rate of over 1 million people per year.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:18 PM

Why do people celebrate this when our city’s infrastructure is barely sufficient for a city of around 600,000 people. More sprawl, more pollution, more wildlife trapped and killed by endless traffic. Housing for our locals is becoming more unaffordable by the week. It’s not something to celebrate.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:30 PM
What could go wrong?

I guess the fun race between the "next 3" has kind of been put to bed.

2022-2023
Winnipeg 910,240 (+34k)
Quebec 880,875 (+22k)
Hamilton 841,146 (+14k)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:42 PM
What could go wrong?

I suppose the thread poll is moot now as we are in 2024 and already surpassed the highest figure in the poll. We will probably hit the million mark before 2030.

What is the guess as to where we are at in 2024? Stats Can lists us at 910K as of spring of 2023.

I figure we should be in the 935-940 range.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:43 PM

At this rate the CMA will be at 1,000,000 by 2026 and the City will get there in 2028.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I suppose the thread poll is moot now as we are in 2024 and already surpassed the highest figure in the poll. We will probably hit the million mark before 2030.

What is the guess as to where we are at in 2024? Stats Can lists us at 910K as of spring of 2023.

I figure we should be in the 935-940 range.
Immigration hasn't really slowed as far as I can tell. If we're increasing at a 3.9% pace last year, I imagine its similar this year. I peg us at ~945,000.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:49 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

It's nice to see we broke through to 910,000+ people in the city. I guess we'll find out the real numbers and how fast our population has actually grown in a couple years when the next census hits.

I just hope we are able to build more housing to accommodate the amount of people we have now, and quickly adjust our needs.

Quote:
Why do people celebrate this when our city’s infrastructure is barely sufficient for a city of around 600,000 people. More sprawl, more pollution, more wildlife trapped and killed by endless traffic. Housing for our locals is becoming more unaffordable by the week. It’s not something to celebrate.
Why sprawl though? Just build up now. Renew older neighbourhoods and roads. Develop more medium density residential properties.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Immigration hasn't really slowed as far as I can tell. If we're increasing at a 3.9% pace last year, I imagine its similar this year. I peg us at ~945,000.
Immigration is at all time highs.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:55 PM

Much of the recent surge in population growth across Canada, and here in Winnipeg, has been in the non permanent resident category of immigrants. So people moving here to "study" or work, in hopes of gaining permanent residency in the coming years. I don't think these students or low-wage workers are contributing to buying large, single detached homes at the edges of the city. Rather, they are more likely to occupy apartments. This is evidenced by the fact that the city-wide apartment vacancy rate fell from 5.1% in October 2021 to 1.8% in October 2023.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:26 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
I definitely agree with some aspects of this post. While its amazing to see this type of growth in Winnipeg, I just drove down Route 90 last week, as an example, and I am floored at how poor our road infrastructure is on many main streets- potholes, significant cracks and breaks, etc. No plans for LRT or even expanding the rapid transit and how long are we going to wait for work to occur on Route 90? I think a lot of these infrastructure projects need to be expedited.

I, too, am concerned about the housing crisis, especially for lower income individuals. The costs are driving up and salaries are not keeping up with the cost of living.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:36 PM

i wonder what % of that increase pay taxes and contribute? the school my wife works at is bursting and they cant handle the huge class sizes. the add'l wear on our roads is showing.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i wonder what % of that increase pay taxes and contribute? the school my wife works at is bursting and they cant handle the huge class sizes. the add'l wear on our roads is showing.
My understanding is that immigration(non-refugees), has a high rate of employment since Canada's immigration is based on a points system to ensure that people coming to Canada will meet the job needs of the country. For the most part they would be paying income tax, sales tax and any other tax that would apply to them. I'm not an immigration expert however.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 5:51 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Yup. We talk so much about the positive aspects of immigration, but how much of the system can't support the growth- from education to health care and infrastructure? There's an important counter-balance here that I feel is missing from the dialogue.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Yup. We talk so much about the positive aspects of immigration, but how much of the system can't support the growth- from education to health care and infrastructure? There's an important counter-balance here that I feel is missing from the dialogue.
I think this is a fair question, but I suppose it'a a chicken-and-the-egg kind of thing. Capacity is needed to support increased immigration, and increased immigration is needed to justify the cost of expanding capacity (not to mention fill gaps in certain economic sectors and start paying taxes).

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:20 PM

Eventually Ottawa will crack down on immigration, potentially hard if the Tories get in. When that happens, these record growth rates will disappear because the city is not a top destination of choice for Canadian citizens. I think this is the crux of the situation and something that both the city and provincial governments need to address in order to keep a reasonably steady growth rate during leaner times.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Eventually Ottawa will crack down on immigration, potentially hard if the Tories get in. When that happens, the growth will disappear because the city is not a top destination of choice for Canadian citizens. I think this is the crux of the situation and something that both the city and provincial governments need to address in order to keep a reasonably steady growth rate during leaner times.
What can we do for the attractiveness of interprovincial migration since increasing birth rates are out of the question as they've been declining across the entire West.

Jobs is the big thing imo, people will move for good jobs. How do we attract high paying jobs to Manitoba? How do we incentivize small and medium business to expand or relocate to Manitoba? What kind of public projects and policy can help facilitate this? These are all questions I have no answers for but are things I'm hoping the government is thinking about.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
What can we do for the attractiveness of interprovincial migration since increasing birth rates are out of the question as they've been declining across the entire West.

Jobs is the big thing imo, people will move for good jobs. How do we attract high paying jobs to Manitoba? How do we incentivize small and medium business to expand or relocate to Manitoba? What kind of public projects and policy can help facilitate this? These are all questions I have no answers for but are things I'm hoping the government is thinking about.
Spot on. These are the fundamental types of issues that need addressing in order to attract and retain people here. The leadership models in this province and city have been horrendous in these aspects since the 70s/80s and we have lost a lot of ground (and people) since then. Many times it has felt like provincial/civic governments have given up caring about the well-being of the province/city and simply revering to bare minimum governance, which is why things are the way they are today....not great.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 7:38 PM

Canada's population is likely growing too fast for our infrastructure, housing, healthcare, etc. to adapt accordingly. However, most immigrants and especially non-permanent residents generally are more open to denser housing options and public transportation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan