HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 2:54 PM

Riding with a guy on a Penny Farthing here. You can get quite the head of speed on it. We were doing 2-3% grades and he had no issues. The stopping was interesting. He had worn out his shoes in a season. We were averaging 30k/hr on the flats which is a good average speed.

On downhills he would get off his seat and drag his foot on the wheel. No real braking.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
A Penny Farthing in the wild! You don't see those... ever. Glad he has his helmet on.
Ah, didn't know that's what it's called. Someone would have to pay me a lot of money to try one. I feel like I'd break several bones.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 8:30 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
With these I'll see if there's anything I can do to make them a little better before donating. Unless they're garbage. Then I'll cannibalize for parts like I did with my old 1996 Nakamura the last two summers.
There's a shop in Hamilton that takes donated bikes, fixes them up, and gives them to charity. I had an old Trek mountain bike that I hadn't ridden in about 20 years and had sat on a balcony in all weather for 10, so the steel parts had rusted (mostly screws and the chain). I hope someone is getting great use out of it now!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada