HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Barley Brothers closed their doors. First it was their Empress location, now it is their Pembina Highway location.

https://imgur.com/5EJ0LZi
That's shocking. That location is cursed. Earl's had a troubled history. Big fire and than close a few year's later.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
That's shocking. That location is cursed. Earl's had a troubled history. Big fire and than close a few year's later.
Did that location have a fire too? I recall the Applebee's 1 block south had a $200,000 fire in 2012 that kept them closed for almost 1 year to renovate

Last edited by cllew; Jul 1, 2018 at 2:15 PM. Reason: correct applebee location

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:17 PM

I found the Free Press article about the Empress St lawsuit.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...477997323.html

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Did that location have a fire too? I recall the Applebee's 1 block south had a $200,000 fire in 2012 that kept them closed for almost 1 year to renovate
Had a big fire when it was an Earl's and I think the old Perkins on the other side of Bishop had a fire too. I recall that was a lighting strike.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 4:44 PM

I recall the Perkins fire but not the Earl's one

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 7:29 PM

What happened to FB Hospitality anyways? They owned/managed Barley Brothers, Prairie 360, Carnaval, Hermanos...maybe a few others. Did a google search and it says they are closed. If so, who runs all these restaurants? Are they all independent?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 8:35 PM

^ Has the chain officially gone under?!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
What happened to FB Hospitality anyways? They owned/managed Barley Brothers, Prairie 360, Carnaval, Hermanos...maybe a few others. Did a google search and it says they are closed. If so, who runs all these restaurants? Are they all independent?
The two main ownership groups split up – divided the company in 2. One group has Carnaval, Prairie 360 and Barley Brothers. The other is Hermanos, Corrientes, and a stake in The Good Will.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The two main ownership groups split up – divided the company in 2. One group has Carnaval, Prairie 360 and Barley Brothers. The other is Hermanos, Corrientes, and a stake in The Good Will.
they are also involved in Sal's.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ners-1.4449272

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 2:30 PM

Yeah that just happened but it’s not the same group - Noel Bernier is the only overlap. It’s funny because he’s been the face of many of these places, and many people assume “the owner” but he’s more of the business person that link the people with money to open/buy all these places

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I recall the Perkins fire but not the Earl's one
I think Perkins was struck twice. they used to have a gigantic flag pole which I would have thought would take any strikes.

I dont recall Earls ever having a fire though.

That building seems really big and its situations so it faces away from Pembina. With the amount of young people in the area (u of m), I'd have thought things would do better but in that area, not so much. How many times did the old Chuck E Cheese turn over? Dylans/Marquee/Vodka Rocks?

Amazing that Applebees is still there actually.

As I recall, the issue with Earls was not that they did poor business, but that the rent was jacked too high to make it worth the effort.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:48 PM

Let's not forget that even Earls left that location due to extremely high rents – EARLS. Then, BB spent around $2,000,000 to renovate it, most of that going to reinforcing the floors so they could have 175 beer taps – and Bernier was quoted in the WFP saying they never really expected to turn much of a profit here.

So really – good riddance. It was overpriced and the food was bad, not a great business plan with such massive upfront costs.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
As I recall, the issue with Earls was not that they did poor business, but that the rent was jacked too high to make it worth the effort.
The other challenge with Earls is they opened a newer location not too far away on Kennaston. That reportedly heavily eroded the customer base for the Pembina location.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:22 PM

Might have been a mirage, but I’m pretty sure I saw a pho hoang poster on the old desart space as I rolled through the village this morning. If true, that’s a lot of expansion for the small business as I’m pretty sure they’re taking over the old Kim Long space on portage as well.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The other challenge with Earls is they opened a newer location not too far away on Kennaston. That reportedly heavily eroded the customer base for the Pembina location.
At St. Vital actually, but yes. Joey is on Kenaston. However, they ran both for about 3 years before shutting it down, and as I was involved in the company then, I can tell you most of the reason had to do with rent, and a brutal landlord unwilling to cover any costs of upgrading and maintaining the building – which is getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by factis View Post
Might have been a mirage, but I’m pretty sure I saw a pho hoang poster on the old desart space as I rolled through the village this morning. If true, that’s a lot of expansion for the small business as I’m pretty sure they’re taking over the old Kim Long space on portage as well.
Yeah I mentioned this in the OV thread, and someone mentioned that the Portage one may have fallen through as it's said "opening soon" for a year.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I think Perkins was struck twice. they used to have a gigantic flag pole which I would have thought would take any strikes.

I dont recall Earls ever having a fire though.

That building seems really big and its situations so it faces away from Pembina. With the amount of young people in the area (u of m), I'd have thought things would do better but in that area, not so much. How many times did the old Chuck E Cheese turn over? Dylans/Marquee/Vodka Rocks?

Amazing that Applebees is still there actually.

Don't know about the rest of of the week but I go to the Pembina AppleBee's one random Saturday a month around 6pm and its usually busy then.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:18 AM

edit

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jul 4, 2018 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:35 AM

Regarding the Pho Hoang location on Portage--

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah I mentioned this in the OV thread, and someone mentioned that the Portage one may have fallen through as it's said "opening soon" for a year.
I replied to the post in the OV thread, but may as well mention it here too since it's the restaurant thread. It hasn't actually been a year and the work site is still active; also their facebook page says that the Portage location is opening in July or August. So it still looks promising. I'm emotionally invested in this one because I live around the corner!

With Pho Hoang at Portage & Fort and Banh Mi King at Portage & Balmoral, it's a good time to be a Vietnamese food lover downtown! Banh Mi King has become quite the popular spot since they opened a year and a half ago. Fantastic menu and atmosphere.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:51 AM

Shindico Realty Inc. (@shindico) on Instagram: “We’re excited to welcome @lot88steakhouse to Winnipeg, opening this October at 2005 Pembina Highway

https://www.lot88steakhouse.com/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 1:58 AM

Strange that they found a place to replace Barley Brothers so quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan