HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
I'm a bit hesitant about how "real" this might be. Although, it would be an incredible addition if it were to happen.

On a bit of unrelated news, it looks like Tempe just passed Tucson in number of posts on this forum. I mention this not because of the rivalry between the universities in each city, but rather because it shows how incredibly smart Tempe has been in the past couple decades. It is pretty incredible how Tempe keeps bringing in large developments and creating an urban hub that cities much larger than them wish they had. Being land locked is pretty much the best thing that could have happened to this city, since it has forced planners and city officials to deal with what they have rather than just keep expanding.
I'd like to think our Tucson thread might have some more discussion without the onslaught of delusions from a few posters. Nevertheless, Tempe has been a model of success for Arizona. I find myself checking this thread more than the Phoenix thread.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:31 PM

Interesting thought posted on the PHX Business Journal article in the comments. It is really just speculation, but someone commented that Alibaba is looking for sites in the US and could Anchor the Pier 202 development.

If this is the case this would be tremendous! Tempe has been unusually quiet on this. However, this may not be a bad thing. I thought it was interesting that according to an article, there was no discussion or debate, the vote just took place on the sale.

There must be some big vote of confidence behind this that they are not yet willing to announce.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:39 PM

New location for Food Truck Block Party on Wednesday (north of College Avenue Commons). I wonder if it'll have similar setup ala Phoenix Public Market.

h/t Satay Hut

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:37 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...-asu/14711827/

New Tempe hotel reflects the spirit of ASU

Laurie Merrill, The Republic | azcentral.com 8:04 p.m. MST August 27, 2014

Developers of Tempe's newest boutique hotel want to pick up the spirit of the city and nearby Arizona State University in their decor.

Optimistic. Intellectual. Science-inspired.

The Graduate Tempe hotel, the Normal diner and Tapacubo Mexican eatery are rising from the gutted hulks of the former Twin Palms Hotel and IHOP restaurant that for decades occupied the site across from the campus, near ASU Gammage.

The hotel is scheduled to open Sept. 23.

If it sounds more like a college than a lodge, that may be because the 141-room hotel has partnered with ASU's School of Life Sciences Social Insect Research Department and the ASU Art Department for decorations.

Guests will see a front desk created from a digital print of Charles Darwin's "Origin of the Species," an enormous ant farm in the lobby and Native American art work, said Christian Strobel, Graduate Hotels president.

"At Graduate, we are looking to create an experience where you wake up feeling the vibrancy and energy of the town you are staying in," Strobel said. "Our goal is to capture Tempe's unique spirit throughout the hotel."

Graduate Tempe is one of at least seven Graduate hotels that AJ Capital Partners plans to open in the next year, all in college cities, Strobel said.

Graduate Tempe will be the first to open and will do so in time to capture some of the business the Super Bowl at University of Phoenix Stadium will bring next year.

The partnership paid about $5.88 million for the Twin Palms Hotel, which shut its doors in May, according to published reports.

Room rates will average about $159 a night, Strobel said.

"This particular location is plagued by under-investment," Strobel said of the site.

Hotel General Manager Jeremy Dougherty said the location is ideal for capitalizing on the influx of new businesses in the area as well as ASU's visiting alumni, parents and educators.

USA Basketball is moving to University Drive and Mill Avenue, and the Marina Heights project, anchored by an 18-story local State Farm insurance company headquarters, is under construction at Tempe Town Lake.

"We want people to say, 'This is really different, this is really cool,'" Dougherty said.

The hotel has views of nearly every mountain range in the area.

It will have an outdoor space conducive to tailgating and a 90-inch TV by the pool.

The idea is for the hotel to appeal to the traveler who now does business in Tempe or Chandler but spends the evenings in Scottsdale or elsewhere.

Developers also want the hotel and its restaurants to be a gathering place for the community, a place that feels wide open and inviting, where people can sit down at the diner counter or grab a quick cup of coffee on the run.

The hotel will feature the Normal, a "diner-chic" restaurant that will serve breakfast all day in addition to salads, sandwiches, shakes and La Colombe coffee, Strobel said.

It also will house a new Mexican restaurant called Tapacubo, which means hubcap. Strobel described it as a street-food outpost. The bar is made using 38,000 Mexican pesos, he said.

The coffee shop will have a window where people walking, biking or skating by can stop and get a cup.

"We want to be (the) hub for the community to come and meet," Strobel said.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 5:39 PM

Looks like Big Bang didnt close, they sold to a new company:

http://ktar.com/22/1762192/New-owner...empe-piano-bar

I hate the name but at leat they are keeping it a music oriented place instead of another crappy club.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 8:23 PM

Could just be coincidence/a common name, but I wonder if this is this the same Andrew Walter who used to QB at ASU and just ran for congress...if so, I love that he is investing in the community he went to college in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

I hate the name but at leat they are keeping it a music oriented place instead of another crappy club.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 4:34 AM

USA Basketball Project Canceled?

Drove by the supposed site of the future USA Basketball complex today to see what progress is being made, seeing as construction was planned to begin in early Spring. There has been no progress made besides shuttering Chili's. Even that's still standing.

Is the project canceled or no?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Is the project canceled or no?
USA Place has not been cancelled but the timeline has been pushed back by nearly a year. Instead of a completion date in 2015, the hotel and USA Basketball offices and facilities will be completed in 2016.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
USA Place has not been cancelled but the timeline has been pushed back by nearly a year. Instead of a completion date in 2015, the hotel and USA Basketball offices and facilities will be completed in 2016.
Plus, isn't Sacks still open till December/January?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 12:12 AM

Some news, at least for me:

1) The Tempe Municipal Garage should be gaining another tenant soon alongside Yoga to the People; Erbert and Gerbert Sandwich Shop is set to open September 11th.
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all

This might fill out the retail space within the garage as there didn't seem to be much room leftover next to Yoga to the People. Perfect timing with the Brewery opening over at the Transit Center - a healthy mix of retail in that area is needed to keep each alive. Now, for the Residence Inn to get an anchor tenant...

Meanwhile, Apache Corridor keeps trucking along with:
2) The Terraces: 1325 S. Terrace Rd; 110' - Under preliminary site plan review.
3) EASTLINE [PHASE I + II]: 2001 E. Apache Blvd.; 75' - Under preliminary site plan review.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2014, 2:03 AM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:00 AM

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:06 AM

Is this Skywater or Argo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
Confused is some other project or Argo?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Confused is some other project or Argo?
Argo is now known as SkyWater.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:15 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...ther/15114029/

We'll see...December is only 3 months away.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...ther/15114029/

We'll see...December is only 3 months away.
This sounds like a positive update. Also looks like the plans were revised, due to new financing allowing for a single phase built. The event space was next to the Omni tower, now it is at the south most edge.

On the negative front, I noticed 230 W. 5th was pulled from the next DRC agenda. Not good.

Also, the Council was supposed to vote last night on an aspect of the pier 202 development. Anybody hear anything?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:40 PM

It's not always a bad thing if they pull their proposal off the agenda. Some times they need more time to work on logistics such as traffic reports, geo surveys, etc. Some times it also means that they intend to resubmit a revised design. Who knows, maybe they've decided to downscale the proposal?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

New Music Venue/Bar RCK CTY to Take the Big Bang's Spot in Tempe

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 7:02 PM

Projects you want next

With HFL III ready to go vertical and Marina Heights about 5 floors from topping out, what projects do you most want to see break ground next?

For me I'd say 1) USAplace (hoping for Dec) and 2) Hotel at HFL (name is escaping me ATM) 3) Street Car

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 11:29 PM

Marina Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
With HFL III ready to go vertical and Marina Heights about 5 floors from topping out, what projects do you most want to see break ground next?

For me I'd say 1) USAplace (hoping for Dec) and 2) Hotel at HFL (name is escaping me ATM) 3) Street Car
Speaking of Marina Heights the rebar they use on that project ,looking at it from the construction camera, sure looks very minimal. I get it that it is to code but they better hope they never have a serious earthquake in Phoenix or that thing is coming down like a stack of cards and for that matter any concrete building that is built to the same code. Then again it's no where near as bad as I have seen in Fiji ,in my water filter trips there, where it looks like they are using coat hangers for rebar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest