HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I think the complaints about the arena are overblown. It looks fine, certainly an improvement on the hideous monstrosity we have currently. As for the other complaints, well if we as a city are firm on the cost (which I think we should be), then we can't expect to get everything we want too. We have enough half baked development sites in the city, I don't see anyone is so ambitious that this one will fill out in the way the others didn't.

We're paying for an arena and got an arena. I was happy to not do so and let the flames leave, but the deal we made was OK. But no one should have ever believed the fantastical claims from councillors and fan boys that an arena will revitalize the city. It was never going to do that. It's a just toy for the city that people will enjoy, the way people value that toy is personal.

I agree about the complaints about the parcade though. I don't see why they couldn't have put that on another lot. Well, money of course.
Agree. I'm happy for what it is. Just get the shovels in ground and get it done.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Someone on Skyrise said that the blank wall was originally supposed to have some kind of decorative elements but it appears that was a casualty of cost cutting.
Or, that IS the decorative element, compared to the originally planned bare concrete lol

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:01 PM
I am the law!

Promising. Will depend on materials.

Edmonton's is overrated. Hostile street. Cheap materials. A community rink wing that isn't remotely complimentary to the flowing curvatures. etc. It has wow factor over good design. Wow factor is fleeting as trends change. Consider how we view PoMo now including the well done PoMo by the leading architects of the style

I can't comment on atmosphere. The arena and seating looks great in Rogers

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:13 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Or, that IS the decorative element, compared to the originally planned bare concrete lol
Now you're just being mean! Probably right though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:19 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Promising. Will depend on materials.

Edmonton's is overrated. Hostile street. Cheap materials. A community rink wing that isn't remotely complimentary to the flowing curvatures. etc. It has wow factor over good design. Wow factor is fleeting as trends change. Consider how we view PoMo now including the well done PoMo by the leading architects of the style

I can't comment on atmosphere. The arena and seating looks great in Rogers
75% of the building's envelope is an impenetrable wall with an above grade parkade on the SE corner, a blank wall on the north side and one massive loading zone / blank wall on the entire eastern half. Also, based on recent Dialog projects that were designed featuring mesh I can guarantee it will look like crap. Just like the Platform parkade. In the end I expect it to look more like this:

Streetview the full fugly experience here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0432...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:22 PM
Fake News

Also, keep in mind this is meant to anchor the Entertainment district with Olympic Way being the main street. All I can see from the renderings is a windswept concrete plaza with tiny trees that are guaranteed to die within the first year of planting. Across the street you will see the ass end of the BMO expansion which is one massive blank wall. The entire area is shaping up to be a hostile dead zone.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:30 PM
Fake News

For reference:

Last edited by O-tacular; Aug 9, 2021 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:48 PM

I'm trying to look on the bright side here but it is going to be a very plain looking arena which is a bit surprising given Calgary's fondness for somewhat splashy signature architecture.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 4:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm trying to look on the bright side here but it is going to be a very plain looking arena which is a bit surprising given Calgary's fondness for somewhat splashy signature architecture.
Perhaps it's just me, but I almost prefer a bland, but perfectly functional building to an avant-garde one. I'm curious about how it will date as compared to Rogers in Edmonton.

There's many 1990s-era arenas that still work fine, despite being bland. I can think of some really awful stuff from the '70s that was cutting edge then, but just was atrocious aesthetics wise today.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 4:36 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's the result of stingy Billionaires throwing a temper tantrum because they weren't given a blank cheque to build their original pipedream in the West Village. For having some of the wealthiest residents in the entire country, Calgary has spent years with little to no investment in things such as the Arts or Entertainment. Philanthropy here usually involves the U of C or the Zoo. For reference our first contemporary art museum just opened in the old planetarium a couple years ago. Imagine the insane boomtimes we've had and Saskatoon upstages us with their art gallery.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
It's the result of stingy Billionaires throwing a temper tantrum because they weren't given a blank cheque to build their original pipedream in the West Village. For having some of the wealthiest residents in the entire country, Calgary has spent years with little to no investment in things such as the Arts or Entertainment. Philanthropy here usually involves the U of C or the Zoo. For reference our first contemporary art museum just opened in the old planetarium a couple years ago. Imagine the insane boomtimes we've had and Saskatoon upstages us with their art gallery.
Isnt the Glenbow closing for 3 years to be completely overhauled? Also Arts Common is undergoing a big reno right now, along with BMO. Its not all gloom.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 10:10 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Isnt the Glenbow closing for 3 years to be completely overhauled? Also Arts Common is undergoing a big reno right now, along with BMO. Its not all gloom.
It is and we are finally seeing investment in those institutions from government after decades of neglect. My point was that for a city as wealthy as Calgary there's been no largescale investment from philanthropists that I can think of. Saskatoon's art gallery was built because a rich business man there invested in it. I'm not saying institutions should rely on private investment but I always found it weird how a rich oil city like ours never saw any big institutions funded by our wealthiest citizens. There's generic pride about a can-do attitude and general optimism but when push comes to shove the 1% here are super conservative and hoard it all while demanding corporate welfare it seems.

Edit: On second thought Eugene Melnyk sounds just as horrible as Murray Edwards. I still stand by my general observation though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 11:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Edit: On second thought Eugene Melnyk sounds just as horrible as Murray Edwards.
Melnyk's far dumber. At least Edwards can field a decently competitive team and sort of work with government. Melnyk is more content to run the Senators into the ground and spurn anything that doesn't meet his every demand (see: failed Lebreton Flats proposal).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 12:21 PM

Centre Slush Puppie official opening on Friday the 20th. The Olympiques of the QJMHL (CHL) will play there first game at the new arena on October 1.

https://www.gatineau.ca/portail/defa...e_slush_puppie

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Also, keep in mind this is meant to anchor the Entertainment district with Olympic Way being the main street. All I can see from the renderings is a windswept concrete plaza with tiny trees that are guaranteed to die within the first year of planting. Across the street you will see the ass end of the BMO expansion which is one massive blank wall. The entire area is shaping up to be a hostile dead zone.

WE GET IT!! you don't like it.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 2:58 PM

Centre Slush Puppie is gorgeous, especially by the standards of venues built primarily for junior hockey... it basically looks like a half-sized NHL arena with a sleek interior and some real design flair with the curtain wall.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:56 PM

New renderings of Calgarys Event centre.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Calgary/com..._centre_arena/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 6:58 PM
ハルウララ

Yep, that's a box. Was there not a far better design previously?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yep, that's a box. Was there not a far better design previously?
The old West Village plan.

https://thehockeywriters.com/calgary...e-arena-plans/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2021, 7:06 PM

The new renderings are better, but still evocative of the HP Deskjet line of printers...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada