HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 2:11 PM

If air quality (temperature, moisture, etc.) is such an issue at MTS Centre, why don't they install revolving doors to cut down on drafts?

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:36 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If air quality (temperature, moisture, etc.) is such an issue at MTS Centre, why don't they install revolving doors to cut down on drafts?
Because moving 15000 people out of an arena with revolving doors would be a gong show.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Because moving 15000 people out of an arena with revolving doors would be a gong show.
Ever been to an event at BC Place or the Metrodome?

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 3:57 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^I was going to say they used to funnel 64,000 people out of the revolving doors at the Metrodome in Minneapolis with no issues.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Because it's a flat out lie.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 6:24 PM

I guess it's been under way since Monday, but I walked by today and just noticed that the MTS Centre front atrium is closed until mid June for renovations. I don't think I realized they were working on that part of the building too... I don't seem to recall seeing renderings for that space. Anyway, it's nice to see that TNSE will be improving the atrium too. Looks like work is well underway on the main concourse in general.

Incidentally, I find it amazing that there is no general MTS Centre thread, or at least not one that I could find. How'd that happen?

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Incidentally, I find it amazing that there is no general MTS Centre thread, or at least not one that I could find. How'd that happen?
Yeah, can't find a thread for it's construction, would of been around 2004, long before my time on the forum.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:21 AM

B C Place no longer has revolving doors since the 2010 reno.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 2:50 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Yeah, can't find a thread for it's construction, would of been around 2004, long before my time on the forum.
That thread has been long gone, but it did exist if I recall correctly.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 5:32 AM
BANNED

I remember the thread too when I joined. Is it archived?

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
B C Place no longer has revolving doors since the 2010 reno.
Revolving doors were a requirement throughout all domed stadiums that were pressurized to support the fabric roofs. I'm not sure what stadiums still exist with this configuration. Most of them have been demo'd or altered, such as BC Place.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 10:21 PM

After Manchester I am completely for the no reentry model. Ibdont want that crap happening at mtsc

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
After Manchester I am completely for the no reentry model. Ibdont want that crap happening at mtsc
Didn't the incident in Manchester happen outside the venue, or at least outside the ticketed area?

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Didn't the incident in Manchester happen outside the venue, or at least outside the ticketed area?
Yes. It was as people were exiting the venue after the show. Not sure how something like that can be prevented.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:18 PM

On the news I see MTSC has a po0lice dog now. At least they're paying for one. I always find it odd the knee jerk reactions after these sorts of things. Terrible thing no doubt.. But why wouldn't you have the dog in place before hand anyways? Basically admitting their security protocols have been lax and they are now beefing it up.

These things happen no matter what anyone does... No re-entry policy changes nothing. Someone could easily do something similar right after a game or concert outside MTSC. What would the no re-entry thing change? Not much, it would prevent groups of people smoking between periods. Same security procedures for people entering before the game or during the intermissions.

Old Posted May 24, 2017, 3:26 PM

^ Stringent security reduces TNSE's liability and makes their insurers happier.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 10:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
On the news I see MTSC has a po0lice dog now. At least they're paying for one. I always find it odd the knee jerk reactions after these sorts of things. Terrible thing no doubt.. But why wouldn't you have the dog in place before hand anyways? Basically admitting their security protocols have been lax and they are now beefing it up.

These things happen no matter what anyone does... No re-entry policy changes nothing. Someone could easily do something similar right after a game or concert outside MTSC. What would the no re-entry thing change? Not much, it would prevent groups of people smoking between periods. Same security procedures for people entering before the game or during the intermissions.
Exactly.

There is not enough security in the World to have prevented what happened in Manchester, England. Who would have believed a concert, with the main demographic being girls 12-18 would be targeted? It's horrific, but I would rather live my life and take chances, rather than have Western society turn into a Police state.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 1:18 PM

was at the Tim & Faith concert last night up in the 300's. The concourse is a major construction zone, floor ripped up, walls have cement board, concessions mostly ripped out just temporary carts selling and even the newly added lounge overlooking True North square was boarded up.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 2:56 PM

You can actually see progress of the renos walking down Donald. Look through the windows. Same thing. Walls ripped apart, flooring is the same. Should be looking pretty sweet by the time October roles around.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:23 AM

Here's a bit of an update on the flooring in the concourses.

https://twitter.com/antex_western/st...17517868253185

It's Reazzo, which a poured, polished concrete made from 100% recycled materials. I think it's gonna look awesome with all the industrial-themed decor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan