HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:06 PM
keep the good times going

Does anyone know if the old salvageable brick/wood gets reused or dumped in most of these cases (maybe not this one specifically, but is it common practice here?)

I bet that there was some great old-growth wood in there, and the bricks may have been made in MB bricks.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 5:10 PM

Rakowski Demo runs a crushing plant for brick and concrete in the industrial area of the far edge of northeast Transcona. They also do wood grinding there and recycle metal in St. Boniface.

I am guessing that when they took down this building they separated the wood, brick/concrete and any metal and took it to their plants for processing and resale.

There are few other places that also take concrete/brick and crush it for recycled concrete aggregate.

I'm not sure where the other big demo companies like Imrie get rid of their brick/concrete though, but their web site says they attempt to recycle 98% of what they demo.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 6:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

The brick gets sold by the truck load I beleave.

The wood chipper I built part of it.

The MCC cabinates are from fox mine was funny seeing my scobling from when I was six in the one panel. And the rest was from troute lake and red lake I beleave useless.info but yes

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 6:52 PM

This wasn't the EV battery company that was considering setting up in Winnipeg, was it? Did we actually dodge a bullet?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ario-1.7276431

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 7:07 PM

I'm not sure exactly, but seems they started right at the big EV market slowdown. The one near Winnipeg, along with other battery/lithium projects here, are mostly on hold right now.

Once the market picks up, maybe they'll re-start. We've got a number of projects at work that are paused currently.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 7:10 PM

Here's the news from recently on the Winnipeg plant. It went to Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lant-1.7185499

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Here's the news from recently on the Winnipeg plant. It went to Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lant-1.7185499
Can't be having economic development in the colonies...ermgh provinces.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2024, 10:18 PM
What could go wrong?

the one that was speculating a location in Wpg was HIPORE a division of the Asahi Kasei Corp. It was for Lithium Ion Battery Separators...what ever that is.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 2:50 PM

The shovels in that cbc article photo cost almost a hundred bucks a piece.

There are 1000 dollars worth of shovels in that picture. All for a fucking photo op.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 6:38 PM

Well look who's an expert on bougie shovels now

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 2:55 AM

Winnipeg turns 150 and there's no proper celebration? Is that true? Why? I heard that it wouldn't be fiscally responsible. Sounds awfully scroogey to me. I mean... 150 for heaven's sake. Thoughts anyone? Enlighten me.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
Winnipeg turns 150 and there's no proper celebration? Is that true? Why? I heard that it wouldn't be fiscally responsible. Sounds awfully scroogey to me. I mean... 150 for heaven's sake. Thoughts anyone? Enlighten me.
Winnipeg was incorporated as a city on November 8, 1873. We missed it.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Money and we don't want to be too colonial. That's basically the gyst of it. It sucks, the anniversary should have been marked with a festival and a parade.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 12:52 PM

lol The teachers and police took all the money. Sorry kids.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 2:26 PM

Quote:
I don't think that many people noticed until the CBC article came out and it ended up featured on their national feed.

Of course it would have been nice of there was some kind of commemoration other than a few T-Shirts with the 150 logo for sale at The Forks. Since the city has recently taken the national lead on real economic reconciliation with Indigenous people , I feel that could have been a basis for a celebration. Not marking the occasion kind of feeds into the Winnipeg hater's narrative.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
lol The teachers and police took all the money. Sorry kids.
Yeah why fund actual services when you could spend it on some lame parade that nobody under 55 would give a single fuck about lol. There are a lot of things I'd rather do with the police budget but this ain't one of them.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 10:51 PM

Thank you FactaNV and pspeid for responses free of attitude and snark. I’m one of those people who read that CBC article so, yes, I was a bit taken aback. I understand that we have money for little more than a meetup at Sals, but a simple and inclusive event at the Forks would have been nice. Maybe a firecracker or two? It could've been a chance to generate some positive press to help offset our less than stellar reputation—thanks to the usual doom and gloom stories. It just feels like a missed opportunity, that's all. You only turn 150 once. We could have leveraged that better.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Thank you FactaNV and pspeid for responses free of attitude and snark. I’m one of those people who read that CBC article so, yes, I was a bit taken aback. I understand that we have money for little more than a meetup at Sals, but a simple and inclusive event at the Forks would have been nice. Maybe a firecracker or two? It could've been a chance to generate some positive press to help offset our less than stellar reputation—thanks to the usual doom and gloom stories. It just feels like a missed opportunity, that's all. You only turn 150 once. We could have leveraged that better.
It is more than a missed opportunity. That word opportunity some will have an issue with.
You just celebrate age 150 & that's that.
No overthinking.
Not doing anything just cements and mirrors the attitude that we in Winnipeg don't deserve anything special ever & we are city of Cheap people who can't enjoy a penny spent. Just sit and stew over all things negative & bash that into our heads constantly.
With all the crime, stabbing, machete attacks on newcomers and longtime residents, having a retail job now as dangerous as driving a taxi etc..we could have used a win here.
Maybe at age 200? Doubt it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Money and we don't want to be too colonial. That's basically the gyst of it. It sucks, the anniversary should have been marked with a festival and a parade.
Too "colonial?" lol

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 2:52 PM

Anyone else having problems with the city agenda site? By now you'd think there'd be agendas uploaded but it's just a wall of "Board of Revisions"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan