HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Wow, the development sounds impressive. My favorite factoid that I especially like in that story is that the first name of the Chinese development official is Oswald. That's awesome.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:28 PM

WOW indeed! Tempe continues to impress but overall...great news for the entire metro area and the State!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
WOW indeed! Tempe continues to impress but overall...great news for the entire metro area and the State!
Indeed! I spend the vast majority of my time in Tempe and Scottsdale but all of these projects make me shake my head.

Phoenix what are you doing!

The Mayor and City council need to get these huge buisness oppourtunities to locate centrally, everything is going to the east valley.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:12 PM

W-O-W.

This would be huge! For the entire Valley! Something like that on Tempe Town Lake would just really explode the entire area. Imagine the increase in demand for high-rise hotels and CONDOS, for once, instead of apartments!

I hope even a fraction of this happens.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:26 PM

Holy cow. More fantastic news, and it makes the decision by Council last month to deny those 4 story apartments on the northern lots of Pier 202 even smarter! Maybe the developer of those other parcels will come back with more appropriate height and density, and maybe the parcel that had been slated for an assisted living tower will either get moving or reimagine itself in light of this development!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Dare I say, Hong Kong on the Rio Salado or Shanghai on the Salt?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Holy cow. More fantastic news, and it makes the decision by Council last month to deny those 4 story apartments on the northern lots of Pier 202 even smarter! Maybe the developer of those other parcels will come back with more appropriate height and density, and maybe the parcel that had been slated for an assisted living tower will either get moving or reimagine itself in light of this development!
Awesome news! Can't wait to see renderings! Let's hope they max out the height like some of the buildings planned for that location pre-recession. Tempe is kicking ass and the lake is going to be amazing in another 10 years.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:57 PM
Skyriser

The reason that guy's first name is Oswald is that it's a common English name for when Hong Kong was a British Dependent Territory before the handover from the UK to China in 1997. Had he been born in mainland China, it'd be a lot different.

Anyways, projects like this are exactly what the Federal government would need before they'd subsidize a streetcar extension on Rio Salado--still needs a lot more residential density tho.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsRider View Post
Well, if this goes through it is fair to say that all the old proposals will be scraped away entirely. My guess is that if they have such a big vision, they will be implementing their own master plan rather trying to piece together a bunch of different projects.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 9:25 PM

More on Pier 202

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/c...4021511985.PDF

So it looks like Tempe RFQ'd this out late last year and only rec'd one response.

Here are some details from the document:

Quote:
TrendEx Holdings, LLC represents the real estate interests of a commodity futures exchange established in 2007 that received regulatory approval by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) in 2010. It is one of only seven U.S. based commodities exchanges. A portion of the Pier 202 location would become the firm’s headquarters with the balance being mixed use development including condominium residences, Class A office, and retail space. The TrendEx proposal includes a site plan and renderings for a two-phase project. Phase I, to be built on Lots 7 – 9, would include 600,000 squarefeet of residential, 450,000 square-feet of office and 75,000 of retail space. Phase II would be built on Lots 2 and 4 and include an additional 250,000 square-feet of residential condominiums, 300,000 square-feet of office and 70,000 square feet of retail.

TrendEx Holdings, LLC principals expressed support for future development of a streetcar route adjacent to the property.
New info from above:
  • Support of Street Car
  • Two Phased Build
  • Lot #'s - Does anyone have a map so we can see hte parcel #'s?
  • Apparently Renderings were developed, but not included anywhere for the public to see

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

So it looks like Tempe RFQ'd this out late last year and only rec'd one response.

New info from above:
  • Support of Street Car
  • Two Phased Build
  • Apparently Renderings were developed, but not included anywhere for the public to see
Can't wait to see 850,000 sq feet of residential in that area after both phases are built out. Does anyone know the height limits for that part of the lake? Dying to see these renderings.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post

New info from above:
  • Support of Street Car
  • Two Phased Build
I took this from the Maricopa County Interactive Maps site. These the parcels and they are all referred to as Pier 202.

http://pdf.leeazmail.com/pdfs/Full%20page%20photo.pdf

If you zoom in, you can see the parcel #'s.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 12:25 AM

Tempe Town Lake

This is a bit out there…but all the recent development along the lake got me wondering- has there ever been any talk of extending the lake? I know it’s not on the books now, especially with the new dam and the difficult terrain east and west of the lake…but through engineering and a vision could it be done, with money of course? I see this massive undertaking in LA across many municipalities to make the LA River a multi-city green belt and encourage development along its shores. Granted, they aren’t filling it up with water, but in a similar nature, what possibilities would extending the lake from Mesa, through Tempe, to just south of downtown Phoenix do for the region? It could serve as another large reservoir, help cool the area and counter the UHI effect, spur development in areas that can be developed, create new neighborhoods, bridge the 3 cities like the LR did. Obviously just pie in the sky thinking but wondered if there had ever been any talk and thought it would be fun to discuss the possibilities, pros and cons, etc.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
This is a bit out there…but all the recent development along the lake got me wondering- has there ever been any talk of extending the lake? I know it’s not on the books now, especially with the new dam and the difficult terrain east and west of the lake…but through engineering and a vision could it be done, with money of course? I see this massive undertaking in LA across many municipalities to make the LA River a multi-city green belt and encourage development along its shores. Granted, they aren’t filling it up with water, but in a similar nature, what possibilities would extending the lake from Mesa, through Tempe, to just south of downtown Phoenix do for the region? It could serve as another large reservoir, help cool the area and counter the UHI effect, spur development in areas that can be developed, create new neighborhoods, bridge the 3 cities like the LR did. Obviously just pie in the sky thinking but wondered if there had ever been any talk and thought it would be fun to discuss the possibilities, pros and cons, etc.
I was thinking about this as well the other day. I'm guessing it is not feasible for many reasons, but I really wish it were. I think it could do wonders for South Phoenix redevelopment, and Mesa has to be wondering too with all the great benefits Tempe has soon.

Perhaps Phoenix could start small. Maybe it isn't a continuous lake to start, rather there is a gap between damns, with a narrow river that can be used to let water flow from Tempe Town Lake to Phoenix City Lake. Around the narrow channel, the riverbed could be made into a sort of park with plants and bike/running paths on either side. Just an idea.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 1:35 AM

This development excites me as I was just in Quing Dao, China last week and Hong Kong earlier this year, and the bulk of their city centers amaze me. Each high-rise has it's own unique style and especially in Hong Kong where many skyscrapers have light displays running up and down the height of the structure. And even more hopeful, from what I've seen in these cities, is their exceptional talent in waterfront parks. Instead of the bland stretch of running path and dry grass maybe we can get an amphitheater or a ferris wheel. Maybe they could set up a restaurant ferry that runs up and down the length of the lake and lights up at night; Hong Kong has these floating around the harbour all day.

As for extending the lake idea; I had similar thoughts like PHXFlyer11. Small lakes could be scattered in the riverbed encouraging an oasis growth similar to whats already in place. With a small stream flowing between them, the trees that sprout alongside provide shade for a bicycle/ walking path. There can be community gardens, soccer fields or grass openings further from the water. Also, partly for the roar of traffic and partly for aesthetics, trees should planted on the lips of the riverbed to provide a cushion from the airport and industrial grit. More towards Central Avenue those trees could be replaced by condos similar to Portland Place.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:10 AM
Skyriser

The lot numbers for Pier 202 can be accessed at the following link. Basically, start at 1 from the block on the NW corner of Pier Dr and Rio Salado, then count clockwise till 9 till you hit the NE corner of Pier Dr and Rio Salado.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/v...ileid=18209864

I have no idea what the context or currency about that document, as I can't find on Google what specifically links to it. But Pier 202, to my knowledge, has always had special zoning approval wherein what they build is quite flexible so long as it's more or less within certain numbers, and to that effect, the map looks close to what is proposed.

Last edited by combusean; Aug 23, 2014 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The lot numbers for Pier 202 can be accessed at the following link. Basically, start at 1 from the block on the NW corner of Pier Dr and Rio Salado, then count clockwise till 9 till you hit the NE corner of Pier Dr and Rio Salado.

http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/v...ileid=18209864

I have no idea what the context or currency about that document, as I can't find on Google what specifically links to it. But Pier 202, to my knowledge, has always had special zoning approval wherein what they build is quite flexible so long as it's more or less within certain numbers, and to that effect, the map looks close to what is proposed.
What you found there may actually be current. Note that the parcels highlighted in the doc, correspond directly to what was sold/mentioned in the article.

However, it could be coincidence since those were the parcels that the city apparently owned. The breakout does look correct though between office, hotel and res.

My only hesitation with this whole thing is why has Tempe not been promoting what we think is a great victory? Is it perhaps more pie-in-the-sky than we wish to believe? Usually the mayor would've had a press conference and Tempe would be promoting the crap out of this like USAPlace and Marina Heights.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 8:45 AM

Given the fact that Phoenix has screwed around with Tempe so much in the past (the Cardinals stadium fiasco, challenging the height of developments during the boom such as Centerpointe), why should they 'play nice' and share what's become their greatest economic asset - perhaps the state's greatest economic asset aside from Sky Harbor?

There were initial plans for an extension to Priest back during the boom, and I think an extension within Tempe city limits or perhaps in partnership with Mesa, would be the only slightly realistic option. I also think Phoenix has way too short-sighted of a vision to ever reconsider the original Rio Salado Project in any form, especially considering that it would run through areas it has continually treated as a dumping ground.

Soleri and I had an interesting discussion regarding city's and their need for a unique/prosperous natural environment to truly succeed and be World Class. Phoenix has yet to use the few they have - Camelback, Papago Park - so, I wouldn't imagine them using a lake as any more of an asset.

Great news for Tempe, and even if only a portion gets built, it's a huge win. The HQ alone will bring high paying jobs not found anywhere else in the state and could finally plug the brain drain, as well as the connection to China and international economy that will set the city up for much bigger things.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
This conversation might be best for the General Phoenix Discussion Board, since it could spark off to a very large tangent from development in Tempe. That being said, I don't think it would be appropriate to expand the lake for a few different reasons.

First and foremost, what makes the lake so successful for Tempe is that it is such a unique feature in the valley, and in the southwest. It's scale is just right, were it offers a large amount of lakefront property , without being something so large that would never be developed. The lakefront is finally starting to be significantly developed, but it is still far from being filled up. Imagine if this was 3 times the size, it would just be made up by a bunch of scattered projects. Not as impressive.

Second, logistics. Any development west of the current dam would be severely limited by it's proximity to Sky Harbor. We already complain about how the FAA is restricting growth in downtown Tempe, imagine how much worse it would be moving further west.

Lack of connectivity is also an issue. The reason why Tempe has had such success is because the river was so close to downtown and very well connected. This is not the case anywhere else in the valley. The areas surrounding the river for most of its run through greater Phoenix are made up by sand and rock quarries, industrial lots, water treatment plants, and basically everything the city didn't want near its neighborhoods. That also means that it is disconnected from mass transit routes during most of its stretch.

But most importantly, environmental issues. Big lakes in the desert lose a lot of water to evaporation. Yeah, some of that evaporation leads to a cooler feeling along the water, but where is this water coming from? We can't bring water hundreds of miles from an already decreasing water source to have it evaporate. The decrease in UHI would be negligible, and not worth the loss of such a precious resource.

I do think the river needs to be fixed. It is a shame that most of the valley has given its back to it, but building dams and lakes really is not the way to go. I think what LA is doing is a good case study to follow. The idea of having a long linear park linking the valley would be a much better solution. Another example to look at would be San Antonio, everyone knows the iconic river walk around their downtown, but the park extends much longer beyond that. It goes from being a very urban element like that of Tempe Town Lake, to an awesome linear park with rehabilitated wetlands, rebuilt riparian landscapes, and great bike paths.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Didn't Phoenix propose something like Tempe town lake decades before Tempe completed their lake?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest