HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 4:39 AM

Upcoming sandwich chain overkill for Mill Avenue District: Ike's Love & Sandwiches, Earl of Sandwich, Erbert and Gerbert's and Firehouse Subs after seeing Capriotti's Sandwich Shop and Quiznos (twice in last two years including MU) close. As if Subway, Jimmy Johns, Sacks, Corleones, Silver Mine, and Port of Subs weren't enough.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Upcoming sandwich chain overkill for Mill Avenue District: Ike's Love & Sandwiches, Earl of Sandwich, Erbert and Gerbert's and Firehouse Subs after seeing Capriotti's Sandwich Shop and Quiznos (twice in last two years including MU) close. As if Subway, Jimmy Johns, Sacks, Corleones, Silver Mine, and Port of Subs weren't enough.
Don't forget Which Wich lol....Although Earl of Sandwich is probably one of the best sandwich places out of all. It's big on the Vegas Strip!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 8:39 PM

Firehouse is also pretty popular; haven't heard of Earl's or Ike's, are they new to the Valley? As in, national chains making an expansion here a la Potbelly's? There's also that Boston/NY place underneath the old Terraleaver- is that still there/is it sandwich-oriented?

Will try looking it up, but do you have an idea on the locations? Agreed that it's overkill, but Mill is essentially bars and fast food at the moment - there's also quite the pizza boom going on and there's certainly no shortage of Mexican food.

Hopefully, more and more residents will give way to more houseware-type stores and sit-down restaurants. But, the influx of business workers will still demand the quick-stop lunch places.

In the end, as long as these are quality places - which Earl's and Firehouse at least seem to be - they should be OK additions to the area. Subway will be in every market, in multiple locations, same with Jimmy John's. Corelone's seems like a bit of a step up, as in more of a Firehouse than a Subway, no? And, Silver Mine has its own cult following. The only one I could see struggling is Port of Subs, but that's probably wishful thinking since it's been there for, what, 8 years? Wish some of that College strip included a non-fast food chain.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Firehouse is also pretty popular; haven't heard of Earl's or Ike's, are they new to the Valley? As in, national chains making an expansion here a la Potbelly's? There's also that Boston/NY place underneath the old Terraleaver- is that still there/is it sandwich-oriented?

Will try looking it up, but do you have an idea on the locations? Agreed that it's overkill, but Mill is essentially bars and fast food at the moment - there's also quite the pizza boom going on and there's certainly no shortage of Mexican food.

Hopefully, more and more residents will give way to more houseware-type stores and sit-down restaurants. But, the influx of business workers will still demand the quick-stop lunch places.

In the end, as long as these are quality places - which Earl's and Firehouse at least seem to be - they should be OK additions to the area. Subway will be in every market, in multiple locations, same with Jimmy John's. Corelone's seems like a bit of a step up, as in more of a Firehouse than a Subway, no? And, Silver Mine has its own cult following. The only one I could see struggling is Port of Subs, but that's probably wishful thinking since it's been there for, what, 8 years? Wish some of that College strip included a non-fast food chain.
Agreed, as USA Place and Marina Heights gets built out and the area becomes more diversified with newly relocated state farm residents and tourism from USA Place, I hope we start seeing a wider selection of nice, sit-down cuisine (Thai, Indian, Middle Eastern, Chinese, etc) rather than the sandwich and pizza places that Mill is overrun with.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 10:40 PM
self-important urbanista

The sandwich and pizza places on Mill get a lot of attention because they're new, but there are plenty of alternatives such as Med Fresh (Turkish), Restaurant Mexico (self-explanatory), Caffe Boa (Italian / Eastern European), and Umami (Japanese). Mill Avenue dining is more diverse that many people realize, although there's always room for improvement.

Last edited by exit2lef; Aug 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:19 PM

Im kind of shocked by the Earl announcement since they normally open in Class A retail spaces (Downtown Disney/ Las Vegas Strip). Not saying that Mill Ave isn't a Class A retail environment per se......Earl's try to locate near entertainment areas.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Ike's is originally from San Francisco and got a lot of acclaim from Man vs Food. Got a tough location within The Brickyard.

The Boston/NY place isn't listed on Mill Avenue site anymore so I suppose it closed. That's been like the second or third business since Dunkin Donuts moved out to Broadway and Vista del Sol locations. It was a pizza and sub shop.

Speaking of closing, curse of the former Ruby Tuesday continues with Firehouse Tempe going out.

Free Lunchtime Trolley has been extended till September.

Last edited by MegaBass; Aug 20, 2014 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBass View Post
Ike's is originally from San Francisco and got a lot of acclaim from Man vs Food. Got a tough location within The Brickyard.

The Boston/NY place isn't listed on Mill Avenue site anymore so I suppose it closed. That's been like the second or third business since Dunkin Donuts moved out to Broadway and Vista del Sol locations. It was a pizza and sub shop.

Speaking of closing, curse of the former Ruby Tuesday continues with Firehouse Tempe going out.

Free Lunchtime Trolley has been extended till September.
Boston/NY place is gone. I was on mill yesterday. As far as Firehouse goes, both locations (Mill and Old Town) are undergoing renovations for a new concept. Should be reopened by the first ASU home game.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 10:49 PM

Ike's already has an existing location in Mesa near Fiesta Mall (of all places). I have been to the original one in SF and it's always busy (so much that the neighborhood complains). Not sure if this location will have the same effect....

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 AM

Yikes if it's in the Brickyard - hopefully it develops a cult-like fanbase that can support it. Sounds like it'll be next to Steak n Shake, along 7th? Where is Earl's going? Lastly, did Spinelli's open where a series of clubs have been in recent years? Below the stairs essentially?

If anyone has time for my lazy question, what's going on at the Brickyard in general? Is it still Steak n Shake, Sliders (I think that was the name), La Bocca, and BofA?

Such a perfect example of how height does not equal urban success... that place has been a graveyard. There was the ice cream place, Urban Angelz, Bistro, Bamboo Club... doesn't help downtown's vacancy rates at all.

Exit - what/where is Umami?

Really wish the Palms parking lot and/or Mill were developed... I love the look of the buildings on the northern end but it's so hard to survive. The retail at Gateway has done well, but I can't see the northern spots getting filled, nor the former Cactus Sports spot across by Rula Bula. The south side has also done OK, but some great stores that are needed for a well-rounded downtown couldn't make it and were replaced by more food: Loft A Go-Go, Those Were the Days, and there was a bookstore, as well, I think. The original Dunkin Donuts spot has also been hard to lease, though somehow the side street retail has done fine, right? The clothes shop and Palettas? Either way, some midrise lofts between the Mill and Rula Bula would be fantastic, as would a simple 2-story retail+apartment addition to the west side of the Mill to make a continuous strip of retail frontage, since I have given up on M7's lot for now.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Aug 21, 2014 at 2:03 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:31 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:

It's a restaurant specializing in ramen. It's a little hard to find because it's hidden in the back of the Brickyard / Orchid House development, but it's well worth seeking out.

http://umamitempe.com/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's a restaurant specializing in ramen. It's a little hard to find because it's hidden in the back of the Brickyard / Orchid House development, but it's well worth seeking out.

http://umamitempe.com/
Nice marketing with the details on how to find them, looks like it's where Bistro once was - one of my favorites from a while back; they were one of the first I knew of to try the whole yoga + healthy restaurant concept. Sucky location, though I love that area and those townhomes+main Orchidhouse building.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Yikes if it's in the Brickyard - hopefully it develops a cult-like fanbase that can support it. Sounds like it'll be next to Steak n Shake, along 7th? Where is Earl's going? Lastly, did Spinelli's open where a series of clubs have been in recent years? Below the stairs essentially?

If anyone has time for my lazy question, what's going on at the Brickyard in general? Is it still Steak n Shake, Sliders (I think that was the name), La Bocca, and BofA?

Such a perfect example of how height does not equal urban success... that place has been a graveyard. There was the ice cream place, Urban Angelz, Bistro, Bamboo Club... doesn't help downtown's vacancy rates at all.

I think you're thinking of Slickables (Sliders) ice cream sandwich shop. There's also Endgame Bar that's opening full-time in the Fall after soft opening in the summer. Not sure if that'll stick when Bison Witches Bar and Deli and Gringo-Star Street Bar have similar video game console concept. ASU Art Museum Brickyard, Ceramics Research Center took part of Borders as did Fulton Engineering.

Plus Bistro you're thinking of was replaced by Umami.

Spinelli's is listed at the northwest corner of 5th.

I noticed some odd establishment (Hippie Gypsy-esque) at old Cactus Sports spot during the Spring. Not sure if its still around.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 11:17 AM

Spinelli's is right next to Starbucks on 5th and Mill. right under Gordon biersch

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 1:48 PM

I got my hair cut at Great Clips there on Mill the other day and I asked the crew there what is being built in the old Abercrombie & Fitch spot. They told me that there is a tanning salon going in. So now that whole Centerpoint strip on the west side of Mill will be full again from PF Changs all the way to El Hefe.

If you guys haven't seen it, the strip between PF Changs and Mellow Mushroom now contains:
Great Clips
Dr. Tatt off (tattoo removal)
Rita's ice/ice cream
a candy / fudge store - can't remember it's name...
AND a future tanning salon

It's really cool to see life finally restored to this area of Mill.

Now let's get that grocery store!!!!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:31 PM

Thanks for everyone who helped me out there - hadn't been to the area in a while and Google Maps is only updated through April, so trying to piece everything together.

Hopefully, the tanning salon has signage - the former art gallery didn't, and I don't see how you could succeed without it given the shade trees, etc. I would think such a place would fit better at W6 or University House, but I guess it does qualify as some kind of service retail? =/ Miss the days of at least having Sunglass Hut and a cellphone store; A&F was obviously always a bust. I was a college freshman when it went out of business and thought opening a club called "Fierce" would be the best business plan ever - I'm sure the walls still smell of it! Such a big space... I have to think it's being wasted. It probably is big enough for a Fresh and Easy if they were still around.

Regardless, glad that area filled up again after DMB killed it during the boom to try and get condos going. There's still a few spots as you head toward AMC on 7th, right?

Whole Foods has been expanding over the recent years into several markets you wouldn't expect... including Harlem. So, I definitely am not as skeptical as I once was. Really hope the project is a good one, though, the 5-story ones have done their job and given the residential numbers needed for such stores... now, let's see some towers please.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 1:20 PM

Quote:

There's still a few spots as you head toward AMC on 7th, right?
Yeah, as you head west on 7th now, you'll find Zipps on the NW corner, and just west of Zipps they are building a new bistro - and the name escapes me... It's not open just yet though.

On the SW corner, you have Mellow Mushroom and in the spot where Grilled Expedition used to be, there is now a very busy restaurant called "Hot and Juicy Crawfish."

I'm hoping that something soon goes into the spot where Islands used to be.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:21 PM

The Hayden at Dorsey

I thought this had come up before, but maybe I was confusing it with another project, as I didn't recall ever seeing these plans before:

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=27219

I think maybe I was confusing this with McClintock Station, which for some reason I cannot find now on any of the old agendas. Maybe I'm losing my mind.

Anyways, nice use of another odd shaped lot, right across from The Grand. That area of Apache will really be built up.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I thought this had come up before, but maybe I was confusing it with another project, as I didn't recall ever seeing these plans before:

http://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=27219

I think maybe I was confusing this with McClintock Station, which for some reason I cannot find now on any of the old agendas. Maybe I'm losing my mind.

Anyways, nice use of another odd shaped lot, right across from The Grand. That area of Apache will really be built up.
I loved reading the dissenting opinion at the end. Apparently this is godzilla! When most of us wish that these projects added more units and height along Apache, these neighborhood groups are furious about anything over 3 stories. I hope the city continues to allow Apache to grow as a denser urban corridor. If not, what was the point of investing so greatly on infrastructure such as the light rail and replacing sewer and water mains. Unfortunately, these type of groups tend to yell louder at council meetings, and often force developers to go back to the drawing board or give up on proposals completely.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 5:00 PM

International Development Group Selects Prime Tempe, Arizona Real Estate Opportunity After Unanimous City Council Vote

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101932296

TEMPE, Ariz., Aug. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- On Thursday night the Tempe City Council voted unanimously to adopt an ordinance approving the sale of City-owned land and authorizing the Mayor to execute a deed and related documents necessary or appropriate to effect the sale and other transactions along its iconic Town Lake to a developer consortium that includes Phoenix-based TrendEx Holdings, LLC and its partner Hong Kong incorporated China International Development Investment Corporation Limited (CIDIC) and several internationally renowned global development firms.

The five city owned parcels known as "Pier 202" are located along the south side of Town Lake and east of Rural Road in the community that is home to the largest university in the United States and a Tempe, Arizona real estate market that is among the hottest in the Southwest.

The development's vision has been created through a joint venture between USA and Chinese financial service businesses with intent to serve as a corporate headquarters for these and other international institutions including SOEs, financial institutions, commodities service providers and technology and service companies. The plans for the estimated $1.2 billion USD investment for the 2 million square foot project is comprised of 750,000 square feet of office space, 100,000 square feet of retail space, 400 condominiums, 150 apartments and approximately 240 rooms, of a 4 or 5-star hotel. The development plans to incorporate leading green sustainable technology similar to Shanghai Financial Center that represents the values of its international partners and to benefit the community at large.

The development project plans include the establishment of a world class International Financial Center (IFC) similar to Dubai International Financial Center and Qianhai Shenzhen-Hong Kong Modern Service Industry Cooperation Zone. The IFC development will benefit the State of Arizona as the development becomes a major global financial services hub that will act as the linkage to strengthen the financial cooperation between the USA and China together with other international firms.

The businesses will add to the growing number of financial services businesses that have selected Tempe Town Lake for operations. Leading factors that resulted in the selection of this site by the group include the favorable business economics in the State of Arizona, close proximity to a major international airport, collaborative opportunities with local academia and high quality life style benefits. The proposed investments are keeping with Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell's "Think Big" theme that was incorporated since taking office in 2012.

"I have had the opportunity to work closely with the principals of this project and am pleased with the positive results the proposed project will have for not only the Tempe Community but for the State of Arizona at large," stated John Berry, Esq. of Berry Riddell and Rosensteel LLC.

CIDIC's President and CEO, Mr. Oswald Wong, expressed that the development, "represents a new era for Chinese financial industry in the North America. It is no longer a simple bilateral cooperation between two countries' financial institutions, but is also Chinas first opportunity to directly participate in the ownership and operations of a new financial center in North America. This opportunity along with related experiences is significant. More Chinese oriented US enterprises and US-oriented Chinese enterprises will benefit by and from this development. The IFC creates the opportunity to create many senior-to-medium level job opportunities to the US community. In return, the Chinese community will gain the opportunity to learn and directly participate in the financial structures and management skills from its US partners. Innovation will happen and business cultures will be exchanged."

"We are excited to be doing business with our Arizona partners and look forward to deploying substantial resources for a signature development in the dynamic Tempe market," said Alan Tay, CIDIC North America CEO who has visited the site and met with various members of the City leadership.

Further announcements will be made following the company's completion of its planned diligence over the next several months.

SOURCE TrendEx Holdings, LLC

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest