HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
How many storeys is the retail base going to reach?
IIRC only about 6 stories, so not much higher than you see there. I wonder if 450 Park would consider installing windows to fill in that blank wall. I doubt the cost would be justified / the tenants would really care, but it would make the building look a lot better.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
What floors are we now? Is that 48 or 50 floors?
Counting windows 41 for the perimeter and 44 for the core.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
IIRC only about 6 stories, so not much higher than you see there. I wonder if 450 Park would consider installing windows to fill in that blank wall. I doubt the cost would be justified / the tenants would really care, but it would make the building look a lot better.
Thanks for the info.

I can see that space being eyed by ad agencies.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 12:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Counting windows 41 for the perimeter and 44 for the core.
sw5710 i just want to say thx again for keeping us right up to date with this info - it is appreciated!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 4:16 PM

^I second that!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2013, 5:10 PM

Thanks. That is appreciated We had another perimeter form jump yesterday. This will bring the perimeter up to level 42. The core is still on 44

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 2:15 PM
New Yorker for life

What a ridiculous article. As if air rights are something new in New York.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1557621

Developers are turning Central Park into Central Dark with mega-thin towers
A new wave of skyscrapers exceeds current zoning laws thanks to air rights. Shadows will cover the southern part of the park.

These before-and-after pictures show the potential skyline over Central Park with the proposed development of 57th St. mega-towers.

By Jan Ransom AND Matt Chaban
December 25, 2013

Quote:
Welcome to Central Dark.

A new generation of mega-tall skyscrapers being built along 57th St. for foreign billionaires will cast a long shadow over New York’s premier greenspace, a new report shows.

"It’s troubling that the sky's the limit when it comes to one of our most precious public spaces," said Vin Cipolla, president of the Municipal Art Society, which conducted the report to highlight the need for oversight of development around parks. "We need to protect these spaces," Cipolla added.

The shadow report reveals the worst-case scenario — every Dec. 21, the winter solstice, the sunless zone will extend 20 blocks into Central Park and reach the Lake and Ramble. Every Sept. 21 at 4 p.m., shadows would stretch a dozen blocks — as far as Sheep Meadow and the Naumburg Band Shell near the 72nd St. transverse.

The skyscrapers in question are rising “as of right,” meaning the public has no say over their size. Developers are able to build so high because they bought air rights from neighboring buildings — and technological advances now allow for the construction of super thin mega-towers on small footprints traditionally suited for 40 story buildings.

One of the studied towers, the Gary Barnett-designed One57 across from Carnegie Hall, reaches 1,004 feet. Just down the block is the proposed 1,350-foot minaret at 111 West 57th St., next door to the Steinway Building. It’s only 43 feet wide — the width of two townhouses — and it’s higher than the Empire State Building’s observation deck.

Nearby, Harry Macklowe is building the 1,397-foot 432 Park, taller than the World Trade Center minus its spire, and Barnett is working on a follow-up at 57th St. and Broadway that could reach 1,500-feet, making it the tallest apartment building in the Western Hemisphere.

The Municipal Art Society proposes that any project with significant shadow impacts on major public spaces should undergo public review. This would give public officials and the community board the opportunity to weigh in. "We should be studying these impacts before the buildings are going up, not after, when it's already too late," said Cipolla.

Skyscraper boosters disagree. “I don't think it's right to change the rules overnight," said Carol Willis, director of the Skyscraper Museum.

This is not the first time the Municipal Art Society has taken up the cause of shadows over Central Park. In the 1980s, the group led a campaign with former first lady Jackie Onassis to stop a pair of towers on Columbus Circle. The buildings were eventually build — but the resulting Time Warner Center was hundreds of feet shorter and set back from the park.

Shadows will go creeping across Central Park as the day drags on, if a slew of mega-towers gets built along Central Park.

Numerous Central Park amenities wouldn't be able to escape the shadows of proposed skyscrapers on and near W. 57th St.

'Accidental Skyline,' published by The Municipal Art Society of New York, outlines issues related to tall buildings and their influence on scarce open spaces in New York City.

The Muncipal Art Society's report 'Accidental Skyline' reveals how the southern part of Central Park would be almost entirely covered by shadows in winter thanks to new mega-towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 2:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Just had to quote this to emphasize the ridiculousness of it...

Quote:

The Muncipal Art Society's report 'Accidental Skyline' reveals how the southern part of Central Park would be almost entirely covered by shadows in winter thanks to new mega-towers.

Somehow, I fail to see the major changes in the before and after photos that would alter the park experience.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
What a ridiculous article. As if air rights are something new in New York.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1557621

Developers are turning Central Park into Central Dark with mega-thin towers
A new wave of skyscrapers exceeds current zoning laws thanks to air rights. Shadows will cover the southern part of the park.

These before-and-after pictures show the potential skyline over Central Park with the proposed development of 57th St. mega-towers.

By Jan Ransom AND Matt Chaban
December 25, 2013

Shadows will go creeping across Central Park as the day drags on, if a slew of mega-towers gets built along Central Park.

Numerous Central Park amenities wouldn't be able to escape the shadows of proposed skyscrapers on and near W. 57th St.

'Accidental Skyline,' published by The Municipal Art Society of New York, outlines issues related to tall buildings and their influence on scarce open spaces in New York City.

"When writing this article we forgot that the Sun moves throughout the day and that shadows don't actually do major damage to the trees!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2013, 5:12 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of December 25th, 2013 @ 12:00 PM EST...

432 Park Ave Webcam

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 2:51 AM

Where did these NIMBY's suddenly come in? San Francisco????????

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 2:51 AM

That NY Daily News article is incredibly idiotic.

Air rights have been an essential part of the NYC building code for 70 years now, and the lower half of Central Park is covered in trees, meaning visitors to the park will not get building related-shadows but tree related shadows. You could surround Central Park with 10,000 ft. towers, and will not make a difference at all in terms of shadows in most of Central Park.

And if shadows are inherently "bad", I hope these kooks will protest the tree cover in Central Park. Time to knock down the Central Park forestlands, and replace with concrete! Don't want any evil shadows!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 3:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^ If I lived near Central Park the last thing I'd be doing is complaining about shadows. I'd be looking at my bank account and drinking 1945 Chateau Petrus.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 12:32 PM
Ex Houstonian

Shadows from skyscrapers in manhattan????!!!! The horror!!!! If these morons don't like skyscrapers than they should move to the banal suburbs. Once these supertalls are built and their evil shadows creep over the park nobody will be able to enjoy it anymore and little kids will cry, but I don't want to go to the zoo, those shadows are just awful mommy!

Wtf do these people think shadows will do? Guess they despise cloudy days too.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 12:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

if shadows bother nimbys they should love towers like 432 park. thats as good as it gets as far as the shadow 'problem.'

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 6:56 PM

LMAO at the "shadows" complaints.. wow! it's NYC! it's not a forest for god's sake!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 7:09 PM
An Optimistic Realist

When is 432 likely to pass the 1,000 ft mark?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 7:45 PM
Frequent Lurker

Did they refer to 111 W 57 as a "minaret"? Seems lilke a subtle jab that these thin towers don't "belong".

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
When is 432 likely to pass the 1,000 ft mark?
With the core on level 44 or 682' and on average 1 jump per week of 15' 6'' I would think in about 20 weeks.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 9:29 PM

432 Park is looking great. In response to the article NYguy posted. The skyline will look amazing once all these towers plus Hudson Rail yards is complete. The only thing that annoys me how these NIMBY douche bags were against Tower Verre being 1,250' yet you have 3 buildings in that same area that are either at or exceed 1,350'. Oh well, here's to the future of towering supertalls in Midtown Manhattan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive