HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:10 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-way-dude View Post
I think Nova Scotia would also be ok for a name (like B.C. or Saskatchewan). It would depend on the nickname.
Nova Scotia Tartans

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 10:29 PM

CFL Commissioner Mark Cohon on TSN Radio talking about a variety of things. The podcast is on page 2. Talk about Halifax is about 5 minutes in.
www2.tsn.ca/window/podcastcentre/#podcastid:21246&id=62

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 3:28 PM

The Atlantic Griffins. Would make for a cool logo.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 4:28 PM

Halifax Privateers

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 12:11 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I like the Halifax Privateers!!!! we would even have our own song, Barretts' Privateers, I believe it is... I'm a thirsty man on a Halifax Pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers, only change the title to Halifax Privateers!!!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:10 AM
Salty Town

Hopefully they don't reduce the number of seats:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...um-bids-sought

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:49 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Hopefully they don't reduce the number of seats:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...um-bids-sought
I hope that SMU and the city are talking about a joint venture. However, it doesn't have to be on the SMU campus. SMU could tear up their remaining seats and berm, keep the football field for practice and expand their track to 8 lanes. If the city and SMU considered a joint venture off-campus then it could be at a site that could eventually be expanded for the CFL. SMU, like most universities, already has experience raising money for capital projects and can probably issue charitable tax receipts for tax deductions.

A joint venture would benefit everyone. SMU would have more space available for other uses on campus and the city would have a significant contribution towards a stadium. For a joint venture though, I think SMU would want the stadium somewhere close-by. (VG site, Commons area, ???)

I wonder what Waye Mason thinks about this? I know he was in favour of a joint SMU/Dalhousie/HRM arena.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 3:46 PM

Our Mayor has been on local media lately talking about a CFL team and a stadium. I believe Cogswell was mentioned at one time. He has met with Gary Cohen and he talks about it as well.
I tried to talk to him at the Mayor's Garden Party but was brushed off or shall I say quickly and rudely dismissed.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:59 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Our Mayor has been on local media lately talking about a CFL team and a stadium. I believe Cogswell was mentioned at one time. He has met with Gary Cohen and he talks about it as well.
I tried to talk to him at the Mayor's Garden Party but was brushed off or shall I say quickly and rudely dismissed.
I admire your effort and hope that you won't be discouraged by your first attempt.

I don't think that there is enough room at Cogswell without major modifications to the road network. Also, I think the plan is to restore the street grid as much as possible.

Are there any places along the water (Northwest Arm or harbour) that can be partly filled in? Perhaps some site with a steep incline next to the water would be good - a steep incline would provide fill as rock is removed for a sunken stadium. A great location would make up for having a no-frills stadium.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 11:06 AM
Salty Town

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 11:39 AM

I'd love a waterside stadium. Is there any vacant industrial property by the seaport/grain elevator area? Or isn't the refinery in Dartmouth closing soon?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 4:10 PM

New $1 million CFL-regulation size football turf in Bedford for the new C.P. Allen High School.

Emily Kitagawa
Metro News Halifax
http://metronewsca.files.wordpress.c...a-football.jpg

http://metronews.ca/news/halifax/774...n-high-school/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 12:15 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Thanks for posting the link Empire.

The CRA poll seems to indicate strong support.

"On Wednesday, Corporate Research Associates released a survey showing the majority of people in Halifax, Bedford, Dartmouth and other areas of HRM – 65 per cent in fact – would support a CFL team.

Another 21 per cent were opposed, and 14 per cent were unsure
."

Last edited by fenwick16; Aug 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 8:41 PM

NS Election

Seing as how Nova Scotia is going to the polls on Oct. 8th, is there any party that would be more inclined to fund a stadium in Halifax?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:04 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSmith View Post
Seing as how Nova Scotia is going to the polls on Oct. 8th, is there any party that would be more inclined to fund a stadium in Halifax?
It is tough to say, however, the NDP has never indicated any real support for a stadium.

Interestingly, Mayor Mike Savage was a former Liberal MP and is a supporter of a Halifax based CFL team (and presumably a stadium). Possibly he would have more influence with a provincial Liberal government than the current NDP.

I don't follow the provincial Nova Scotian parties closely enough to know which will do a better job in government, however, a NDP win will probably mean 4 more years of no provincial support for a stadium.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSmith View Post
No.

Currently, the Liberals are attempting to frame the NDP as 'only for Halifax'. The Liberals won't support a stadium because they are currently pandering to rural Nova Scotia.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2013, 9:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I don't follow the provincial Nova Scotian parties closely enough to know which will do a better job in government, however, a NDP win will probably mean 4 more years of no provincial support for a stadium.
I do try to follow the parties.
I have voted Progressive Conservative before; I have voted Liberal; and I have voted NDP. I do not consider myself a faithful voter for any party. I vote for ideas, as well as policy records.

The best chance Halifax has to get a stadium is to elect a provincial government that can afford to contribute to a stadium. This means no deficits. This means voting NDP.

The NDP supports the Nova Centre, so they'll support a stadium, too. The NDP supports the Irving shipyards, so they'll support a stadium, as well.

There are just so many large projects on the go, and so many regions of the province to please, that a stadium has not been a provincial priority. Soon. Very soon.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I do try to follow the parties.
I have voted Progressive Conservative before; I have voted Liberal; and I have voted NDP. I do not consider myself a faithful voter for any party. I vote for ideas, as well as policy records.

The best chance Halifax has to get a stadium is to elect a provincial government that can afford to contribute to a stadium. This means no deficits. This means voting NDP.

The NDP supports the Nova Centre, so they'll support a stadium, too. The NDP supports the Irving shipyards, so they'll support a stadium, as well.

There are just so many large projects on the go, and so many regions of the province to please, that a stadium has not been a provincial priority. Soon. Very soon.
The NDP said 'NO!" to a stadium just a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
The NDP said 'NO!" to a stadium just a couple of years ago.
It was not a capital NO with a freaking exclamation point. A stadium is currently not a provincial priority. If Halifax wants a stadium immediately, then Halifax can fund it, solely, immediately.

The province helped with the Nova Centre and the Irving Shipyards -- which are both located in Halifax.

The NDP has funded these Haligonian projects even when an obvious anti-Halifax atmosphere exists throughout rural Nova Scotia. The province generally believes too much is done for Halifax.

A stadium for Halifax would have appeared to be spending in excess -- and then the NDP would have been criticised still!!

The NDP chose instead to balance the budget.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
It was not a capital NO with a freaking exclamation point. A stadium is currently not a provincial priority. If Halifax wants a stadium immediately, then Halifax can fund it, solely, immediately.

The province helped with the Nova Centre and the Irving Shipyards -- which are both located in Halifax.

The NDP has funded these Haligonian projects even when an obvious anti-Halifax atmosphere exists throughout rural Nova Scotia. The province generally believes too much is done for Halifax.

A stadium for Halifax would have appeared to be spending in excess -- and then the NDP would have been criticised still!!

The NDP chose instead to balance the budget.
The NDP said 'No' to a stadium just a couple of years ago.

There you go, no capital letters or exclamation marks.

Believe me the NDP will be criticised, but hopefully we will not hear from them after Oct 8, and Darrell will go to Liverpool and retire.

You don't really believe they balanced the budget, do you? A 2 percent increase in HST and they could not balance anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment