HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
At least the big three North American automakers make what are referred to as "police pack" versions of some of their vehicles.

Basically it's the same car but with some modifications to the engine, reinforcements to windows so prisoners can't kick them out, reinforcements to certain exterior elements for ramming suspects' vehicles, etc.

I am not sure if the average joe can buy these or if they only sell to police and other agencies (forest rangers, customs officers, etc.).
Pretty sure you need to be a government body of some sort to order one (of the police pack / ambulance versions), but as others have pointed out, unless police departments start to use their own exclusive vehicles like Checker taxicabs (or for a more modern example, London taxis) that they recycle/dismantle at the end of their service lives, it will still always be possible for someone wealthy and dedicated to build a perfect-enough-for-their-purposes imitation.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 8:49 PM

uhhh so apparently the RCMP shot at a building that people were sheltering in during the situation:

https://www.saltwire.com/news/canada...3yZ9UN.twitter

Quote:
The Onslow Belmont Fire Brigade hall was being used as a registration centre for evacuees from the Portapique Beach area Sunday morning when RCMP officers arrived on scene and opened fire.

“The hall was used to provide a place where residents could come take a break, register and get hotel and Red Cross information,” the brigade says in a Facebook posting, which has since been removed.

“We can confirm that around 10:30 a.m. there was gunfire at our hall and the gunfire caused considerable damage to our property, including taking one of our trucks out of service,” the posting said.

Pat Curran, SIRT’s interim director, said he could not provide much information because the investigation into the incident is in its early stages. He did acknowledge that two RCMP officers did discharge their firearms at the scene, though he could not identify which weapons were used or who the officers were shooting at.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 9:35 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 2:55 PM

Lots of details coming out now, and they are looking into why an emergency alert wasn't issued sooner (apparently they were ready to issue one just as the killer was taken out).

Not going to post any links, it's all over the place and easy to find now, with new info coming out all the time.

If one wants to look into it, they should be able to understand how complex and difficult it is to predict what will happen with an unknown perpetrator who has a plan, and all the steps that have to happen with a large organisation with many detachments who have to coordinate, plus coordinating with Halifax Police, etc. etc. Not to mention that it started with a report of gunshots, which is probably not all that uncommon of a report in a rural area in 'normal' times. It took awhile for the intel to come through as to what they were actually dealing with.

Regardless, I'm sure there are some inefficiencies in the system as well as communication road blocks that hopefully will be improved nation-wide, in the event that something like this happens again (hopefully it will never happen again - ever).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:53 PM

I was looking at The Weather Network for Halifax weather just now and got this.

===============

Alert
Issued at 16:03 Friday 24 April 2020

Importance
HIGH
Recommended Action
Residents are advised to shelter in place and refrain from travel until being advised otherwise.
Description
Police are currently on scene in the wooded area between Haliburton Hills and Highland Park Heights Subdivisions in Halifax Regional Municipality in relation to a report of shots fired. There has been a additional report of shots fired in the Omega Court area of Hubley, also in HRM.

Residents are advised to shelter in place and refrain from travel until being advised otherwise.
Area Description
Haliburton Heights area of Hammonds Plains/Tantallon.
Issued By
Nova Scotia Emergency Management Office

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:57 PM

RCMP in NS just called off the alert on Twitter.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 8:58 PM

May be some false alarms?

From the Chronicle Herald...

=========

Police on scene at at least three Halifax area locations, warn people to stay inside

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 12:07 AM

People are understandably jittery after the unimaginable events of last weekend, and after all the attention given to the lack of emergency alert, I’m sure they wanted to err on the side of safety this time.

I was working at home when it came through and since it’s only about 15 minutes outside the city, was quite concerned that some copycat nut job was going to try something similar, as I’m sure most were. When the alert comes out you just don’t know what to expect, and even though you’re safe at home you worry about everybody out there. Thankfully a false alarm this time.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 12:27 AM

Manitoba is already at 12 homicides this year. We may see 40+ murders once again.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Lots of details coming out now, and they are looking into why an emergency alert wasn't issued sooner (apparently they were ready to issue one just as the killer was taken out).

Not going to post any links, it's all over the place and easy to find now, with new info coming out all the time.

If one wants to look into it, they should be able to understand how complex and difficult it is to predict what will happen with an unknown perpetrator who has a plan, and all the steps that have to happen with a large organisation with many detachments who have to coordinate, plus coordinating with Halifax Police, etc. etc. Not to mention that it started with a report of gunshots, which is probably not all that uncommon of a report in a rural area in 'normal' times. It took awhile for the intel to come through as to what they were actually dealing with.

Regardless, I'm sure there are some inefficiencies in the system as well as communication road blocks that hopefully will be improved nation-wide, in the event that something like this happens again (hopefully it will never happen again - ever).
Tragically, it seems inevitable that it will.

I understand how chaotic this must have been for the RCMP but as we now know, even the US govt managed to get out some comms to their residents in the area.

Anyway, as you say, they'll be better prepared next time. Little consolation, I'm afraid...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Tragically, it seems inevitable that it will.

I understand how chaotic this must have been for the RCMP but as we now know, even the US govt managed to get out some comms to their residents in the area.

Anyway, as you say, they'll be better prepared next time. Little consolation, I'm afraid...
I will only say that if you haven't listened to the detailed account of the timeline in the press conference, that you should. It was a messed up situation, and I can't imagine what it would have been like for anyone having to deal with it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6862561/n...ailed-account/

It's beyond tragic, and if anything positive comes out of it, hopefully it will be a system that is more coordinated and functional.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post

They just forwarded the RCMP tweet.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
I will only say that if you haven't listened to the detailed account of the timeline in the press conference, that you should. It was a messed up situation, and I can't imagine what it would have been like for anyone having to deal with it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6862561/n...ailed-account/

It's beyond tragic, and if anything positive comes out of it, hopefully it will be a system that is more coordinated and functional.
For sleepy small town NS RCMP detachments, what actually happened is probably so far beyond the scope of what they ever expected to happen that it is, to some extent, understandable why there was so much confusion and chaos in their response.

I mean, there are plenty of small town psychos with guns, that's nothing new. But this turd's level of preparation with a false-flag cop car took things to a new level. I would imagine that as with the 9/11 attacks that were pulled off with box-cutters, it's the sort of thing that can only be gotten away with once. The RCMP must be in full prep mode to respond much more effectively to this type of scenario if it ever happens again. And that is no small legacy.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 1:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
People are understandably jittery after the unimaginable events of last weekend, and after all the attention given to the lack of emergency alert, I’m sure they wanted to err on the side of safety this time.

I was working at home when it came through and since it’s only about 15 minutes outside the city, was quite concerned that some copycat nut job was going to try something similar, as I’m sure most were. When the alert comes out you just don’t know what to expect, and even though you’re safe at home you worry about everybody out there. Thankfully a false alarm this time.
My heart sank when I first heard news of the alerts yesterday. I was glad it was a false alarm.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That is what is really really scary about this.
Why does that scare or surprised you? everyone is capable of doing harm to you and a mass shooting

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
They just forwarded the RCMP tweet.
...to an appropriate channel, yes.

I don't have Twitter. A lot of people don't have Twitter. The idea that this is an appropriate medium for the transmission of important information is foolish.

I'm going to drop the issue because I think everyone just needs time to mourn and to make sense of it all but I am really frustrated. I just get the sense that our authority figures have very little clue what they're doing...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:20 PM

Some beeyotch went bananas and stabber two girls. One died. Montreal now at 4.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 10:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Why does that scare or surprised you? everyone is capable of doing harm to you and a mass shooting
The sheer unpredictability of such things always scares me.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:36 AM

24 in Toronto. 126 shootings so far

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:04 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuelzJones View Post
24 in Toronto. 126 shootings so far

I was surprised to see that we're up 4 from this time last year - even in spite of the quarantine effect (but down 4 from 2018 - though by this time the North York van attack had already occurred too). And with the news cycle so thoroughly dominated by COVID stuff, it feels like it's been forever since I've even heard of any murders or shootings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada