HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMIII View Post
This is due to those large windows, and that's why I am not fond of this tower.

This tower will always look shorter than it is, quite ironic for the tallest in NYC.

They should have covered with glass the whole facade to mask them, exactly like they did on Trump world tower for the duplex at the top.

But who cares ? only me I guess
It is preferable that the tower and city look good, not just "tall". ;-)

But seriously, it is great to see something other than boring, all-glass completely flat facades as are found on most modern buildings. In my opinion, plain glass rectangles are the worst form of architecture. Glass clad skyscrapers are relatively cheap and easy to maintain. However they turn the cityscape into a cold featureless expanse of nothingness.

Granted, that's just my personal opinion on facade material and level of intricacy.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 9:48 PM

How does a 1,400 ft. building "lower the skyline" because the windows are big? Am I missing something?

Perspective of relative height is mostly based on a building's built context.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
It is preferable that the tower and city look good, not just "tall". ;-)

But seriously, it is great to see something other than boring, all-glass completely flat facades as are found on most modern buildings. In my opinion, plain glass rectangles are the worst form of architecture. Glass clad skyscrapers are relatively cheap and easy to maintain. However they turn the cityscape into a cold featureless expanse of nothingness.

Granted, that's just my personal opinion on facade material and level of intricacy.
I am neither a fan of all-glass facades nor do I think that tall is what matters the most .
However, to use glass on this tower's facade was the only way to hide those huge windows (at least during the day).
If you look at Trump Place on the Upper East Side or the four seasons hotel right next to 432, those towers are the perfect example of "relatively" short towers looking good and "very" tall while they are not (very tall)
If I was an architect and if I had been asked to design this tower (I know it's a lot of "If") I would have come up with something similar to 99 church street, which is, according to me, the quintessence of what NYC has best to offer.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
How does a 1,400 ft. building "lower the skyline" because the windows are big? Am I missing something?

Perspective of relative height is mostly based on a building's built context.
Lower may not have been the right word to express what I meant. What I mean is that this tower won't enhance the skyline as the Empire State, Chrysler, or the Twin Towers did and the reason lies in its facade. The tower is not finished yet and I may be wrong (I hope I am) but when I read that some people who went on the construction site think "it looks shorter than it is" while the tower's ratio height/width plays clearly in its favour, the only reason left to explain that feeling lies in the facade.
But that's just my humble point of view.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Lower may not have been the right word to express what I meant. What I mean is that this tower won't enhance the skyline as the Empire State, Chrysler, or the Twin Towers did and the reason lies in its facade. The tower is not finished yet and I may be wrong (I hope I am) but when I read that some people who went on the construction site think "it looks shorter than it is" while the tower's ratio height/width plays clearly in its favour, the only reason left to explain that feeling lies in the facade.
I see what you're saying now. You may be right; we'll have to see once it's built.

Keep in mind too that there are many projects planned for the general vicinity, and the relative heights of those projects will also play a role in how "tall" nearby buildings like 432 Park look.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 3:35 AM

Quote:
The tower is not finished yet and I may be wrong (I hope I am) but when I read that some people who went on the construction site think "it looks shorter than it is" while the tower's ratio height/width plays clearly in its favour, the only reason left to explain that feeling lies in the facade.
Its all about perspective and I do not think facade plays major role here. Super tall towers tend to look "short" at close distance. Let's take 1WTC as an example.WTC 7 looks almost as tall as 1WTC on the picture below.

ILNY

But when you look at both towers from a little further....

ILNY

This is why 432 seems "shorter than it is " to some visiting people.

Quote:
What I mean is that this tower won't enhance the skyline as the Empire State, Chrysler, or the Twin Towers did and the reason lies in its facade.
This tower won't enhance the skyline...really?

Credit: www.designboom.com

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 8:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

Look who's hiding ...

NY on Air

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 9:36 PM

^that view will be so imposing and inspiring when the central park towers are finished.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 10:51 PM

I think that view is a bit too far towards due northeast to see that.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 3:24 AM

The perimeter is on level 40 or 620' The core is on level 42 or 651' There might be a core jump tomorrow.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
This is due to those large windows, and that's why I am not fond of this tower.

This tower will always look shorter than it is, quite ironic for the tallest in NYC.

I find it will be just the opposite. This building will appear "alarmingly" tall, almost too tall to some, due to the height to width ratio. It will be a striking, soaring tower as it reaches into the sky, taller than anything and everything around it.

http://www.skyscraper.org/EXHIBITION...ough_intro.php

I think the large windows give the tower a larger than life quality. Bring on King Kong.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:43 PM
BANNED

^IIRC, that's Harry Macklowe. Unless he's 5' tall, those window openings are closer to 12x12, than the 10' we've been making comparisons with. While I don't doubt that the windows themselves are 10' square as advertised, this just adds to the sheer size of the monster that is 432.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 1:44 PM
don't *meddle*...

By kooljoe, on SSC:

Quote:
Taken today from my office @ Lex & 58th

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 2:54 PM
don't *meddle*...

Core jump, 666' now! Finally over 200m.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 5:32 PM

Yes the 43rd level, or 666'

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:01 AM

Interior designer Deborah Berke talking about the interiors she has envisioned for 432. Amazing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3BGP8Au68I

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:00 PM
New Yorker for life

December 17, 2013

Snowy morning...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:31 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;6376894]December 17, 2013

Snowy morning...

The 40th level perimeter has been poured.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:29 AM

Cool! three more core jumps and it rises over 700 feet. I wonder if they could do it before the new year

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:56 PM

Perimeter forms are being jumped to level 41 or 635' 6'' The core is on level 43 or 666' 6''

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive