HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:04 PM

Goaltending remains a big problem. Again, last night, Hellybuck blew the first goal. Had he stopped it, the Jets would have won in regulation the way things turned out.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:08 PM

I don't get what Chevy's game plan is... after all, you can only go so far with the draft, and in fairness, he has done very well on that front. But at some point, trades and FAs have to enter the equation. The Jets are stuck in a frustrating rut of being bad but not really bad enough to get a bunch of blockbuster draft picks the way that Edmonton did. In some ways the decade of abysmal Oilers hockey is starting to pay dividends...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:26 PM

I think it would be wise for him to trade for a solid goaltender with some experience. There are some out there. Can't wait for the Toronto game next week, hopefully Laine will crush Matthews and Marner. It's hilarious the way the Toronto media is assuming one of them will win the Calder when Laine has as many goals as Matthews, and as many points as Marner, with a lot fewer games played.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:27 PM

Jets have done well at the draft. But that can be attributed to there scouting staff, not necessarily Chevy. Anyways, they've done pretty good at the draft. A couple miscues (Logan Stanley trade up thing..), but overall pretty good.

I give them next season and if it's a shit show Maurice is gone mid-season. Chevy, maybe not far behind.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I think it would be wise for him to trade for a solid goaltender with some experience. There are some out there. Can't wait for the Toronto game next week, hopefully Laine will crush Matthews and Marner. It's hilarious the way the Toronto media is assuming one of them will win the Calder when Laine has as many goals as Matthews, and as many points as Marner, with a lot fewer games played.
Toronto media is sickening. Constant garbage articles on Matthews and his new haircut, ooooh Matthews what do you think of Tom Brady. Garbage like that lol

Yes they're good of course. But it's like Laine is automatically out because he's not a laugh. What's the status on Marner. He injured a shoulder and are awaiting MRI results. That could be his Calder shot gone right there.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I give them next season and if it's a shit show Maurice is gone mid-season. Chevy, maybe not far behind.
I agree. Chevy in particular has to show some ability to build a team capable of reaching the next level. So far that just hasn't happened.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:31 PM

I personally don't find Maurice that impressive. He's a great guy, and a community guy, but his overall record pretty much everywhere he's been hasn't been great. I'd like to see Hawerchuk make the jump up in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:33 PM

^ Yeah... safe to assume this is Maurice's last shot at being a NHL HC?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:37 PM

Maurice is a nice, likeable guy for sure. My uncle met him out at West Hawk this past summer. PoMo kids was out at some sort of camp. All day long they talked, had beers. Nice guy. But I think he ends up back in Europe.

The Hawerchuk thing seems like such a good fit. Maybe it's a bit too dreamy though. Is he an NHL caliber coach? I really have no clue.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^This is the problem.

Jets forward crop is just fine. Towards the top in the league. Scheif, Ehlers, Laine. Wheeler and Little are solid but aging now. Bottom 6 they have many options.

Defense we need help. Buff needs to get straightened out. Trouba and Morrissey have looked solid. Enstrom is Enstrom. Bottom pair needs to be better. Just overall more consistent play.

Goaltending. Oyy. Hellebuyck still the future. He's only 23. We need a good vet back-up. Pavs would be a good back-up I believe, if he actually stayed to he back-up role. Otherwise he needs to be gone and bring in someone else. Just move on.

There was an article posted recently on Paul Maurice last time he was fired by Carolina. Virtually identical scenario to what's happening with the Jets. Line blender out constantly. Goaltending questions. Shit defense. New coach time?

Chevy has done an okay job. But his lack of will to make trades to shore up areas is frustrating. If he's waiting until we're a legit playoff team before he makes some moves, we'll never get there I don't think. Trade for a decent LH defender maybe and a goalie. Send Hutch to the A.
Bolded, some guy named Sip!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:49 PM

I'd love to Byfuglien traded for something good. Sometimes he does amazing things but more than often does completely bone-headed things. Don't think he is wired to be put in line.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'd love to Byfuglien traded for something good. Sometimes he does amazing things but more than often does completely bone-headed things. Don't think he is wired to be put in line.
If you overuse certain things they are bound to break down, your seeing that with Buff playing 30 minutes a game. Your going to make more mistakes on the ice in 30 minutes than if you were playing 20 minutes. His mistakes are magnified.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 7:09 PM

Well, we probably don't have the playoffs to look forward to but at least there are off season MTS Centre improvements!!!

Anyone know what's in store for this year?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see Hawerchuk make the jump up in Winnipeg.
Quote:
The Hawerchuk thing seems like such a good fit. Maybe it's a bit too dreamy though. Is he an NHL caliber coach? I really have no clue.
I'd like to see this my self personally, but I do agree, PoMo is a hell of a nice guy, family as well.

Seasons pretty much done for me. I've accepted this for some time already.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Maurice is a nice, likeable guy for sure. My uncle met him out at West Hawk this past summer. PoMo kids was out at some sort of camp. All day long they talked, had beers. Nice guy. But I think he ends up back in Europe.

Personally don't understand the Hawerchuck thing. Would anyone be clamouring for a junior hockey coach with a 14-33-7 record this season not named Hawerchuck?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 1:27 AM

Quote:
It will be Mathews becuase he is with the Leafs. Don't get me wrong, he is a great player but Laine has 52 (28/24 - .96 GPG) points in 54 games (including today's in Ottawa), and Mathews has 48 (27/21 - .84 GPG) in 57 games (not including today's game in Carolina).

Last edited by DLLB; Feb 20, 2017 at 1:53 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, we probably don't have the playoffs to look forward to but at least there are off season MTS Centre improvements!!!

Anyone know what's in store for this year?

Complete overhaul of the concourse/concessions, I believe.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:41 AM

Was at the game tonight. We ran out of gas...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:50 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Was at the game tonight. We ran out of gas...
Eh, I don't think we did. Our defence has massive holes though, and since we haven't had Myers all season, and Trouba currently suspended starting with last night's game didn't help our cause that much. Had Trouba been in, we could have at least won that game in OT.

Still, we gained at least a point throughout the road trip, with 6 out of the possible 8. It could have easily been 4 out of the possible 8 had we done badly in Pittsburgh or in Toronto.

And Laine, if it weren't for him, we would be nowhere. He's leading in rookie scoring, rookie goals scored, and set a franchise record of 30 goals as a rookie over the 29 goals of Ilya Kovalchuk when he was a rookie.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:43 AM

Watching Wheeler and Buff before and after the deciding goal in overtime they both appeared exhausted. Apart from what they (and others) looked like, watch the post-game videos. Maurice references the grind of five games in eight nights (and three in four). A rather sweat-drenched Wheeler specifically mentions the team "running on fumes"...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan