HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 1:55 AM

But eventually if we had a super tall there , in time midtown and downtown will merge with highrises and it could right in the middle! Wouldn't that be nice

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 1:59 AM

To ever have a great skyline we need a signature REAL HiGHRISE tower to offset all are 350 footers! Preferably more than one! It will happen one day I guarantee it this whole FAA high restriction is so BS! Have you ever flown into Vegas or NYC!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 12:59 AM

I have a client meeting every week near VB and 10th Ave and try to take different scenic routes each time; I noticed this week that the bike lanes on Grand Ave have been painted a bright green.

Looks like this is part of a $450,000 improvement plan from the city that will also include planters, lane reduction, and on-street parking. I left a rather nasty comment, as I am not pleased with the tone of the article - it goes from talking about street improvements to mentioning strip clubs and homeless shelters that are admittedly further west?
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...nd-avenue.html

I am completely unfamiliar with Grand Ave. I know a while back, Phoenix won a grant (something like "greening America's capitals") to improve the area; has that work been completed? If not, is there a timetable or plans that I can review? Seeing how the city has let so many amazing areas decay on a weekly basis during my drive has really started to piss me off, so I really hope they're taking advantage of whatever they had been given as a result of that program.

I hope the on-street parking helps the businesses in the area - though, from what I have seen, there seem to be plenty of lots unfortunately - and maybe can convince those with a say to finally say okay to including it in the Roosevelt streetscape plan?

Given my unfamiliarity, can someone provide a brief review of the area? I have the opportunity to write blogs for a tourism entity that plays a heavy hand in promoting the state, so I would love to give some love to this part of town.
- What defines "lower" Grand Ave?
- What are some of the must-see businesses? Any on the way?
- Is parking free in the empty lots as we await on-street additions
- Is it an everyday, weekend, or First Fridays type of destination?

It's really a shame how cut off this area is from the heart of downtown; so close, yet so far. Given the popularity of First Fridays and the attention it receives, I wish the city would realize the potential of the event to give the city a national identity and pour some resources into developing a plan to connect the two.
1) The insane intersection of 7th/Grand/Van Buren - what can possibly be done here? The discussion on narrowing 7th has been hashed out to death and the consensus is that it will never happen. Would painting lines on the street to better defined the crosswalks do anything? What about shade structures?
2) Signage - Could additional signage be created to make it clearer that Lower Grand is a defined district and part of the arts scene? I have always thought Roosevelt needed a large sign extending over the street like in California's many neighborhoods, so something like that on both make it clear that each is a trendy, arts-focused area.
3) Light-posts/Street Signs/Other Markers - What if the street-lights, or street-signs were either changed out or modified so each district had its own 'branding' for lack of better word? The simplest would be the inclusion of fabric flags/posters with 'ARTS DISTRICT' ; this doesn't have to be citywide, it could simply be used to unify the arts area... but, with the government/capital district so close, I thought it might be able to go further.
5) A.R.T.S Program - I believe that is the name of the program started to fill lots with temporary uses; is Lower Grand part of this program? How does a lot get identified and/or selected? Have you heard any ideas from local businesses, or have ideas of your own?

Thanks and sorry if any of these could be answer via search; I read that article after seeing the lanes yesterday and just started thinking.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 1:44 AM

Great news for those concerned about the shrinking heights of the new projects in the northern part of downtown. An 8-story PARKING GARAGE is coming to 5th and Fillmore soon.

http://azbex.com/phoenix-biomedical-...arking-garage/

I think it's time to plan a move. It's exhausting to continually think of ways to make this place better and then have the City itself just not give a shit.

There is apparently another Biomed building going up near TGEN, but who cares?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:12 AM

http://downtowndevil.com/2013/10/15/...ntown-phoenix/
I'm afraid the unmentioned ground-floor retail will be filled in with blank walls on three sides of the lot. Not to mention, 6 stories is too short for that lot. I hope that 17 story housing tower goes through with plans.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 2:31 PM

Double post

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Ryan Walker, an ASU public service and policy junior who has considered pursuing a law degree, was skeptical about the cost of the project.

“They’re just trying to move locations to expand and attract students.” Walker said. “It’s logical, but they couldn’t do it for any cheaper? That’s going to have to be a pretty high-tech building.”

Walker also said he didn’t see the need for a new building if the previous one remained functional.

“Unless they’re overcrowded in that building in Tempe and they don’t have a sufficient amount of resources to keep it running, then maybe I would say to move it or open up a second branch,” Walker said. “But if there’s nothing broken then what are you fixing?”
Ryan Walker sure sounds like a forward thinking person with well reasoned opinions. What makes him think he's qualified to decide what a 250,000 sq ft building should cost to build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I hope that 17 story housing tower goes through with plans.
What 17 floor building are you talking about?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 8:50 PM

I thought part of the plan with the law school was to take it private (at least, that's what Dean Sylvester has been telling the alumni) so that the law school would no longer be stuck with our state constitutional provisions governing the cost of public tuition and that it remain as close to free as possible. If they take the law school private, is it really a public building any more? It doesn't ultimately matter for development purposes, but it undermines some of the questions raised in the article.

As a graduate of ASU's law school, I find the most offensive part of that article to be the statement that ASU's law grads will be competing with grads of the Phoenix School of Law for jobs. That is patently ridiculous. ASU is a tier 1 law school (ranked #29). Phoenix School of Law isn't ranked at all. Part of the reason that so many new law grads are unemployed (based on NALP's numbers) is the fact that for-profit institutions like PSL are pumping out graduates who had little to no business going to law school in the first place. When my firm has looked at new hires, I can assure you that the PSL candidates are much lower on the list for interviews than an ASU grad.

From a development standpoint, the law school is a great addition. Law students keep much different hours than undergrad students, which should add to the activity in that part of town at night. Also, that Ryan Walker kid, while considering law school as an option, has apparently never visited Armstrong Hall because that place is a dump. I also don't know how you would open a second branch like he suggests. The first years all have to be in the same location because they all take the same classes together at the same time. I guess you could move the second or third years, but I don't imagine the professors would be too keen on traveling between branches to teach classes each day.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 3:27 AM

After all the hype, this thing will end up the same size as Walter Cronkite. Nestled in the middle of dorms and other classrooms, and without mention of any component that would be of use to community residents, this will do little more than fill an ASU/ self-made parking lot.

Oh well, I'm sure the 8 story garage on Fillmore will block most sight line.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
I thought part of the plan with the law school was to take it private (at least, that's what Dean Sylvester has been telling the alumni) so that the law school would no longer be stuck with our state constitutional provisions governing the cost of public tuition and that it remain as close to free as possible. If they take the law school private, is it really a public building any more? It doesn't ultimately matter for development purposes, but it undermines some of the questions raised in the article.
A public university cannot "go private" instead ASU is considering severing direct state funding to make the law school self-sufficient. That means it will use donated funds, endowments and higher tuition rates to cover costs. ASU has been considering this option for a few of their graduate programs because the state, over the years, has been cutting funding for higher ed and research.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
After all the hype, this thing will end up the same size as Walter Cronkite. Nestled in the middle of dorms and other classrooms, and without mention of any component that would be of use to community residents, this will do little more than fill an ASU/ self-made parking lot.

Oh well, I'm sure the 8 story garage on Fillmore will block most sight line.
I like the size and design of the new law building in downtown. It is a well designed mid-rise and will have room for a taller residential component.

What I do not like is the large garage at the Biomed Campus that will match the one across the street at the Arizona Center. They really need, at the very least, to build underground structures to deal with the parking situation. What I have noticed however, is that many of these medical centers across the country (even in Manhattan) require large parking in order to accommodate the number of visitors, many of whom must drive. It is still a shame they can't bury this thing and build a tower on top.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 9:09 PM

forgive me for jumping in, but i got a kick out of your comment and the one above. this sounds so much like memphis, the king of the 14-16 story buildings. the work, about 2 billion dollars, on the bioscience park downtown has some of the highest buildings at 8, 6, and 4 stories. one did make it to "tower" status, when they rehabbed a building at 21 stories. now, they are readying to build a series of 4 "towers", but no details about ht. the same is true w/ st. jude, which is building a 7 story proton beam building, the only one in the world for a children's research facility, however, it has actually surpassed the 7 story mark, and it is approaching above 14 stories. last word was that it would ultimately be 19 stories, but still it would be noted as 7 stories. it doesn't matter the ht in ground to roof. several other projects are underway, which are similar to that above. memphis is 700,000+ in the city proper. the county is considerably above the 1 million mark, but it looks about like a city of 200,000, if you are judging the downtown business district. the dual core at poplar and I-240 has almost as big a central business district as downtown. it is discouraging, when you have these silly ht limits. our main airport is 12 miles from the central business district. you should look at the business parks that are literally scattered all over the perimeter that take up 60 to hundreds of acres. they are nice looking; however, they should have been built downtown and built as skyscrapers. memphis has some very beautiful buildings, and it has done a fabulous job at placing buildings on the NHR; however, we are in desperate need of significant ht downtown. that gets everyone's attention, especially corporate headquarters. consequently, i surely understand your frustration. if you can shame the civic leaders in to clearing the way to build, let us know. again, liked the comments. i wrote an article recently about the very comments you and the poster above you wrote. i commented that memphis had built so many 14-16 story buildings that downtown was beginning to take on the form of a concrete block. it will take several significant rising skyscrapers to get out of the present form, especially, since memphis has so few recent, if any, latest photos of the city. the new lebonheur---another anomaly re: ht---is 12 stories, but it is 251 ft in ht. although completed in dec. of 2010, their is no current professional photos published, which is another problem w/ memphis. bill cobb does beautiful work in urban photos, however, i think the latest photos of anything in memphis is of one building in 2007. i need to recheck phoenix, before i say anything about it. phxflyer11 is correct about the faa and its' power to regulate or inhibit the ht of a proposed building. they are allowed to recommend and petition both the governmental bodies involved, e.g. metro, city, county, state governments. however, the liability would fall on the governmental bodies that allowed the building, and ultimately, a ripe claim for neglience on behalf of those who were injured or lost their lives, in addition to civil liability, etc. most government bodies, such as city commissions, county councilman, and the like would not position themselves in such a way as to open themselves, the city, county, and others to liability.

Last edited by kingchef; Oct 16, 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 5:51 PM

I was checking out the Austin page... It left me pretty envious, especially this quote "It's amazing to see that Austin now has 21 tower cranes"

Maybe some day that will be PHX!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 9:05 PM

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelback28 View Post
Please make it so. That's too nice of a building to sit empty.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

What 17 floor building are you talking about?

In the original plans for the Law School and I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere on the ASU development thread, the possibility of a 17 story student tower atop the school was there. Maybe I'm confusing facts with fantasy but it was mentioned on this forum.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
In the original plans for the Law School and I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere on the ASU development thread, the possibility of a 17 story student tower atop the school was there. Maybe I'm confusing facts with fantasy but it was mentioned on this forum.
I think there was a Plan for a second Taylor Place tower. I don't remember seeing any plans for student housing being built with the law school though. Either way I don't think there are any current concrete plans for more student housing. Maybe soon though with Taylor Place being overbooked earlier this year and the rapid growth of the downtown campus.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 8:40 PM
them bones

Shot these last night on the flight from HOU-LAX. Not great, but the best I could do with the lens I had available to me:

Uggghhh...Photobucket pixelated the hell out of them...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 3:53 AM

Phoenix spending $560,000 on First Street face-lift, more storefronts sought

Mike Sunnucks
Senior Reporter-
Phoenix Business Journal

The city of Phoenix is spending $560,000 on street improvements, decorative sidewalks, new trees and pedestrian-friendly upgrades along First Street in downtown Phoenix.

Downtown business owners, hoteliers and restaurants are also talking to the city about other improvements along First Street as a way to link Arizona State University’s downtown campus with CityScape, US Airways Center and the Phoenix Convention Center.

Tom Delaney, general manager of the Hyatt Regency Phoenix at First and Adams streets, said business owners and the city are kicking around a number of ideas.

“The goal is to make it more pedestrian friendly,” Delaney said.
He said there could be more storefronts and restaurant spaces developed along First Street, especially in between Washington and Monroe streets.
There has been some talk of closing at least part of Adams Street near the convention center and Hyatt to make it into a pedestrian mall.
Delaney said that idea is less likely to happen, but there is consensus to perhaps close other downtown streets for special events. “We’re really brainstorming ideas,” he said.

Ideas include narrowing First Street and putting in decorative sidewalks, crosswalks and landscaping to give the area a pedestrian-friendly feel.
Delaney said another goal is to make the downtown area more inviting for convention attendees and tourists.

The First Street road and sidewalk improvements are running from Washington Street to Moreland Street. City spokesman Matthew Heil said the first wave of street improvements will be done by Oct. 25.

That projects echo the $450,000 the city has spent on improvements, bike lanes and narrowing of Grand Avenue just west of downtown.
Delaney said business owners and city planners are looking at downtown development efforts in Denver and San Antonio to get ideas for making First Street into a more vibrant area.

The street connects to US Airways Center and CityScape to the south and ASU to the north. It is already home to a number of restaurants and cuts in between the Hyatt and Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

Popular Glendale restaurant, La Piazza al Forno, has recently opened on a new downtown location on First Street and Cartel Coffee Lab moved into a large space in the same building at First and Washington streets. Cartel will expand its hours later this month to stay open later in the evening. The cafe has also started to serve a beer and wine.

That follows up on Duck and Decanter’s First Street location also serving beer and wine and staying open into the evening. Downtown Phoenix for years has been dogged by the reputation of being a ghost town after the workday ends, and a number of downtown restaurants still close before dusk.

Several of CityScape’s restaurants — which stay open at night — sit on the First Street side of the development.

However, there are some empty storefronts and underused blocks on the downtown stretch of First Street. The Burger King restaurant at First and Washington streets closed recently, as did another franchise location near Arrowhead Town Center in Glendale. The Matador Restaurant space has been vacant since it closed last year after a fire and revelations of the ownership’s financial troubles.

Delaney said what to do with the former Mexican restaurant space is part of the greater discussions about First Street. He said the space could be divided up into more than one tenant.

Like other parts of downtown, improvement efforts will have to deal with so-called dead blocks that abut parking garages or sides of buildings without storefronts, as well as homeless transients and panhandlers who populate the area during the day.

Heil said the city is trying some new ideas as part of the current street improvements.

“Large-format original local artwork will also be mounted on the south and west face of the Hyatt Regency Hotel,” he said.
The project will also be Phoenix’s first foray into something call a parklet.
“This project will install Phoenix’s first parklet at Matt’s Big Breakfast on First Street and Garfield Street,” Heil said. “A parklet is a platform constructed within an on-street parking space to provide an area for people to sit and relax.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n....html?page=all

Old Posted Oct 20, 2013, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Shot these last night on the flight from HOU-LAX. Not great, but the best I could do with the lens I had available to me:

Uggghhh...Photobucket pixelated the hell out of them...
Nice pics Plinko! What's the bright stuff on the left side, the State Fair?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest