HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
16 consecutive days for Extinction Rebellion protests targeting mostly downtown during peak hours and mostly Granville Burrard and / or Granville Georgia.
Domestic terrorism, plain and simple. I hope their planned stunt next week at YVR will land these clowns with federal charges.

Then again, same fools were allowed to hold the entire country hostage two years ago during the rail blockages. Tens of millions of dollars in damage and nobody saw any jail time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 6:23 PM

Justin Trudeau is going to honour their civil disobedience by going vacation next week.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Domestic terrorism, plain and simple.
Really? You don't think this is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Really? You don't think this is perhaps a bit of an exaggeration?
Speaking of exaggeration

Quote:
“We’re intentionally being arrested. We’re intentionally putting our bodies and our freedom at risk and putting ourselves in prison,” says Eichler. “This is our intention: to show the state that their inaction and malfeasance can’t continue.”
https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/10...ouver-climate/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Domestic terrorism, plain and simple.
Inconveniencing people is a far cry from terrorizing them. Careful, too much hyperbole and you'll start to loose credibility.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Domestic terrorism, plain and simple. I hope their planned stunt next week at YVR will land these clowns with federal charges.

Then again, same fools were allowed to hold the entire country hostage two years ago during the rail blockages. Tens of millions of dollars in damage and nobody saw any jail time.
I found it grossly offensive when they blocked Cambie from Broadway to 12th and people couldn't access the hospital or other nearby medical facilities. They should be charged by the new laws put in place that apply to anti-vaxxers blocking the area.

Human extinction? What are they trying to do? Be self-fulfilling?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 9:41 PM
SkyTrain Nut

They know what they're doing. They're untouchable.
Cashing in on those environmentalist points either for pushing their education/career or to carry on what their parents were doing when they were hippies and telling them Big Corp is going to ruin this world and you should never stand for normality (Read: Their parents were crazy ). Blocking streets and making a massive stink attracts the press and anyone touching them is material they use as propaganda, because everyone has a phone with a camera.

It's the same garbage that makes slums in the parks take months to clear out even when overnight camping is generally not allowed at all.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Inconveniencing people is a far cry from terrorizing them. Careful, too much hyperbole and you'll start to loose credibility.
Tell that to ambulances trying to get through downtown traffic.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:44 AM

Few dozen eco terrorists extorting public to comply with their demands. Same as the clowns at SFU threatening the university with hunger strike unless their demands are met.

These people should absolutely be charged with the new laws for blocking emergency traffic. Throw the book at them as any continued show of weakness only emboldens these fools.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Tell that to ambulances trying to get through downtown traffic.
Still not terrorism. I object to calling it terrorism because real, actual terrorism is a horrific thing, and I think you dilute and disrespect the tragedies that terrorists have wreaked by using the label on far less maleficent acts.

If you always use extremist language, then you normalize extremism and run out of ways to describe the horror of things that really are beyond reprehensible.

If you really think that a protest blocking traffic is equivalent to a car bomb killing dozens and maiming hundreds or a car plowing down people on a sidewalk, then I guess we're too far apart to really agree on anything.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:46 PM
Joshua B.

Productive things that can be done:
  • Create a political party
  • Stage sit ins at MP offices
  • Go to Ottawa, squat and protest in the lawns in front of parliament

What they will do:
  • Block traffic for local commuters
  • Get arrested
  • Cry foul

It's time to accept that climate change is not a priority for most of the world. It's a fight that cannot be won with many global leaders dead set on industrializing. Besides, nature will fight back and the human civilization will be forced to adapt or perish.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:48 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
Productive things that can be done:
  • Create a political party
You lost me at this one

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
It's time to accept that climate change is not a priority for most of the world. It's a fight that cannot be won with many global leaders dead set on industrializing. Besides, nature will fight back and the human civilization will be forced to adapt or perish.
this is what i find baffling about people. they insist Canada must do this, Canada must do that. their civil disobedience protests even lead to more green house gas emissions. and the thing they seem to fail to realize is doing that changes absolutely nothing.

good job! you made people sit in traffic for many hours longer, polluting the air more, and you got people against your cause, and you also didn't get anyone's "OMG! Now i just realized we must fix it now!!!"

humans will adapt; when it becomes do or die, we will do. that is humanity. humans by nature are procrastinators.

if people in Canada really cares, or in BC all that much. a lot more people would be voting for the Greens.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
16 consecutive days for Extinction Rebellion protests targeting mostly downtown during peak hours and mostly Granville Burrard and / or Granville Georgia. Stuck for an hour yesterday. Between the constant road closures and these protests, we're absolutely under siege as downtown residents and the city simply turns its back.
Email Mayor and Council. Call them out on Twitter and other social media for tolerating the disruption.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:00 AM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
this is what i find baffling about people. they insist Canada must do this, Canada must do that. their civil disobedience protests even lead to more green house gas emissions. and the thing they seem to fail to realize is doing that changes absolutely nothing.

good job! you made people sit in traffic for many hours longer, polluting the air more, and you got people against your cause, and you also didn't get anyone's "OMG! Now i just realized we must fix it now!!!"

humans will adapt; when it becomes do or die, we will do. that is humanity. humans by nature are procrastinators.

if people in Canada really cares, or in BC all that much. a lot more people would be voting for the Greens.
Most of these kids are either university students with plenty of time on their hands, found an issue and want to feel like they are apart of something and can influence governments. These people don't have a single idea how the economy works and how it feels like to commute to and from work on a daily basis. If they did, they would ensure to minimize disruptions for the average person.

Personally, I think Canada should be divesting from any efforts to preventing climate change and fully allocate funds to adaption strategies. Think infrastructure like cooling centers or projects aimed at creating firelines, and expanding water reservoirs.

The cold hard reality is that you are not combating climate change until China, India and the USA get on board, and they will never do that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:35 AM

Well the protestors blocked Hornby, too bad everyone is already avoiding it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:46 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
These people don't have a single idea how the economy works and how it feels like to commute to and from work on a daily basis. If they did, they would ensure to minimize disruptions for the average person.

Personally, I think Canada should be divesting from any efforts to preventing climate change and fully allocate funds to adaption strategies. Think infrastructure like cooling centers or projects aimed at creating firelines, and expanding water reservoirs.
Do you have any idea how the economy works? People who live in cities and commute to and from work have very little knowledge of the financial impact of climate change. Were you a little hot this summer? Was your hydro bill a little higher because of using your AC more? Try running a vineyard that lost its entire crop to wildfires, or a farmer that couldn't grow wheat in Saskatchewan because there was no rain all summer or a rancher who slaughtered his herd because there was no hay due to a lack of moisture. Climate change is having tangible impacts on the economy right now, but if you think sitting in traffic for an hour is worse, I wish I was as blissfully ignorant as you.

The environmental movement may have been virtue signaling for most of history, but there is real teeth behind it now with large institutional investors and governments supporting companies that are developing clean tech. They wouldn't be doing this if the business case didn't support it. As for "adaption strategies", creating new infrastructure is the least of our concerns. The bigger issue is existing infrastructure that may be made obsolete because of more frequent severe weather events. Think of the trillions of dollars of prime real estate across the world that occupy cost lines becoming inhabitable because of rising tides. Think of the Hoover Dam not generating any electricity because Lake Mead is dropping by 100 feet per year. Think of New York subway lines being shut down for good because of flooding risks.

I have seen plenty of articles recently that claim the spike in oil and natural gas prices in Europe, Asia, and North America show why renewables can't be relied upon. On the contrary, spikes in demand caused by freezing temperatures in Texas or a lack or truck drivers show that the world's energy infrastructure is not at all resilient and that we need better ways to generate, store, and transport electricity.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Still not terrorism. I object to calling it terrorism because real, actual terrorism is a horrific thing, and I think you dilute and disrespect the tragedies that terrorists have wreaked by using the label on far less maleficent acts.

If you always use extremist language, then you normalize extremism and run out of ways to describe the horror of things that really are beyond reprehensible.

If you really think that a protest blocking traffic is equivalent to a car bomb killing dozens and maiming hundreds or a car plowing down people on a sidewalk, then I guess we're too far apart to really agree on anything.
Spare us the righteous outrage. The attempts to cowe, intimidate and disrupt ordinary citizens that these eco losers practice is the same tactics used by terrorists. Otherwise they’d be protesting where the government power is, thousands of kilometres away. They probably can’t spend the time away from their Socioligy 100 classes. Or were there the usual ragtag band of professional protestors like Listen Chen there too?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 2:46 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Spare us the righteous outrage. The attempts to cowe, intimidate and disrupt ordinary citizens that these eco losers practice is the same tactics used by terrorists. Otherwise they’d be protesting where the government power is, thousands of kilometres away. They probably can’t spend the time away from their Socioligy 100 classes. Or were there the usual ragtag band of professional protestors like Listen Chen there too?
It's not righteous outrage. Calling this terrorism is hyperbole.

I'm not sure how these protestors were intimidating ordinary citizens. Also, the best way to influence governments is to turn public sentiment. Most Canadians have no idea how much the government gives to oil and gas companies, airlines, and other fossil-fuel intensive industries. Maybe these protests will increase that awareness.

Protesting is a democratic right, being free of traffic jams is not.

I'm not sure if anyone read the news coverage, but some of the demonstrators were arrested. I am not sure how you would like the mayor and city council (who have no say in this matter anyways) to be less tolerant.

At least those "eco losers" know how to spell sociology.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
It's not righteous outrage. Calling this terrorism is hyperbole.

I'm not sure how these protestors were intimidating ordinary citizens. Also, the best way to influence governments is to turn public sentiment. Most Canadians have no idea how much the government gives to oil and gas companies, airlines, and other fossil-fuel intensive industries. Maybe these protests will increase that awareness.

Protesting is a democratic right, being free of traffic jams is not.

I'm not sure if anyone read the news coverage, but some of the demonstrators were arrested. I am not sure how you would like the mayor and city council (who have no say in this matter anyways) to be less tolerant.

At least those "eco losers" know how to spell sociology.
I'd wager the only motivation given by the eco-weenies to ordinary citizens to call the government would be to clear the protestors off the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure