HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Is it just me or did they put room for three little shops going down prince street?
I think they are just windows aren't they?

Now I want some baklava.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Way back when I remember reading a comment about how there would be display cases to decorate parts of the ground floor level, similar to what's in the MetroPark (on the Granville Street side if I remember correctly). I'm also guessing that's what those are. Better than nothing I guess.

I'm not all that upset about Market Street. It's a little better than I expected, and if the loading bays have to go somewhere above ground I'd pick that spot for them. I'm most interested to see how Grafton and Argyle turn out. If the covered portion of Grafton is well-executed it could be a unique new kind of public space in the city and tie together blocks on either side that have been separated by a wasteland for as long as I can remember.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 3:40 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I would really like to see the configuration of Grafton St. and how the interior streetscape will turn out.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 4:25 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I would really like to see the configuration of Grafton St. and how the interior streetscape will turn out.
Yeah I am quite curious about that, and when I look at it from the sidewalk now, I feel like this will come down to two keys things 1) what fronts onto that interior stretch that is of public interest, and 2) how will they light it such that it generates interest, feels safe, and welcomes you in.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 7:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here's another rendering. The glass doesn't really seem to match what has gone up but there's a lot of detail showing what the lower levels are going to be like:

Source

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 7:34 PM

Geez, that rendering makes it look almost garish. I'm glad it doesn't really look like that!

The "punched window" effect on the hotel *might* be growing on me a little, but I still prefer slate over dark brick on the podium levels. I think we could use more of that "West Coat aesthetic" here. I love that about the Clayton Park library - the K$sha Goodwill or whatever it's called.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 9:40 PM

Who will be the major tenant in the BMO building on George St?

Also do you think they have enough BMO branding on that tower? good god.

Hopefully those huge signs don't actually cover up the windows.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:42 PM

The signage is pretty overbearing, honestly. Mars the facade. And it doesn't feel very Argyle-like to have a huge bank brand looming overhead.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:54 PM
Honored Member

I think the rendering makes the Nova Centre appear shorter than it would be from that vantage point.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think the rendering makes the Nova Centre appear shorter than it would be from that vantage point.
Actually pretty accurate.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 12:22 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
I think you're right. Also, the open area beyond the Carleton sign seems like a stretch. I think this would all be Nova Centre.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 12:17 PM

I couldn't wait to come here and post this juicy blog post from the Willow Tree Group (Peggy Cameron et al).

https://willowtreehalifax.wordpress....-of-the-trade/

Tricks of the Trade
April 8 2016

"Have you walked past the new Nova Centre? Like everyone else, you must be shocked by the enormous mass it has become in the middle of downtown. You didn’t expect that, did you? But the developer – in this case, supported by municipal and provincial officials – can reply that everything was shown in the drawings, so you shouldn’t be surprised. It’s your fault for not noticing. Therefore, let’s go back to the drawings to see where you went wrong..."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:55 PM

Captain Busquet got in on this one today too... Some things never change...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post
I couldn't wait to come here and post this juicy blog post from the Willow Tree Group (Peggy Cameron et al).

Tricks of the Trade
April 8 2016

"Have you walked past the new Nova Centre? Like everyone else, you must be shocked by the enormous mass it has become in the middle of downtown. You didn’t expect that, did you? But the developer – in this case, supported by municipal and provincial officials – can reply that everything was shown in the drawings, so you shouldn’t be surprised. It’s your fault for not noticing. Therefore, let’s go back to the drawings to see where you went wrong..."
Actually, despite that it smacks of the evil "anti-development", a good part of it is true regarding 'the sell'.

It's done in a lot of industries (it's rampant in the automotive world), actually, and not unique to development.

I think it's healthy to keep an objective view here as not all developments are as wonderful as the people who stand to profit from it would like us to believe.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
It's done in a lot of industries (it's rampant in the automotive world), actually, and not unique to development.
Hey, maybe they could compare the accuracy of the developer's renderings to the STV renderings that show the buildings as a solid red or black box?

I find most of their points weak. They start by complaining that the neighbouring buildings aren't shown then the next rendering has them. They even complain that the renderings show blue sky instead of clouds and slush on the ground, and that you can't smell or touch the renderings. That is just silly.

If anything I think that 3D rendering has improved remarkably in recent years, and the requirements for things like accurate shadow models have improved to the point where people get a much more accurate impression of planned buildings than they ever could before. On top of that there was a lot of public consultation for this particular development; a lot of the features in the renderings, like the elevated ballroom level, are things people asked for. The developer had a physical scale model constructed as well.

Last edited by someone123; Apr 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
Captain Busquet got in on this one today too... Some things never change...
He seemed off his game today though. Lots of pi**ing and moaning about everything but nothing very structured, just a whole lot of "ain't it awful" stuff. I guess being negative constantly like he is towards most everything gets fatiguing.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 10:01 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotropolis View Post

Tricks of the Trade
April 8 2016

What I find amusing is that the writer doesn't understand that many people want impressive buildings in the city. There are some (or maybe it is only me) who are even happy that the Nova Centre is built and it will irritate the anti-development crowd.

When I stated above that the rendering made it look smaller than I imagined it to be, I was simply hoping that in person it will look even bigger and more impressive.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hey, maybe they could compare the accuracy of the developer's renderings to the STV renderings that show the buildings as a solid red or black box?

I find most of their points weak. They start by complaining that the neighbouring buildings aren't shown then the next rendering has them. They even complain that the renderings show blue sky instead of clouds and slush on the ground, and that you can't smell or touch the renderings. That is just silly.

If anything I think that 3D rendering has improved remarkably in recent years, and the requirements for things like accurate shadow models have improved to the point where people get a much more accurate impression of planned buildings than they ever could before. On top of that there was a lot of public consultation for this particular development; a lot of the features in the renderings, like the elevated ballroom level, are things people asked for. The developer had a physical scale model constructed as well.
LOL @ STV renderings - it's painfully true.

I recall there were some renderings posted here last year that depicted the buildings in winter conditions (Dal buildings, I believe) and there were some comments about how depressing they were, or something along those lines. It does have an effect, but what salesman worth his salt wants to present his product in less-than-optimum conditions?

The only issue I have are the perspectives that don't accurately depict their surroundings. I think most people disregard the other items, such as the people depicted and such.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
What I find amusing is that the writer doesn't understand that many people want impressive buildings in the city. There are some (or maybe it is only me) who are even happy that the Nova Centre is built and it will irritate the anti-development crowd.

When I stated above that the rendering made it look smaller than I imagined it to be, I was simply hoping that in person it will look even bigger and more impressive.
The writer is an architect and prof at dal. He knows what he's talking about. But I'd blame the city before the developer for providing "altered views". The city requires submission of sketchup models and 3d renderings too early in the process. These are expensive to create and there is too much undefined. The city instead should be more concerned with getting accurate 2d elevations and a site plan. The rest is all just marketing, where you will always pick the most attractive view over the most accurate.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 11:25 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
The writer is an architect and prof at dal. He knows what he's talking about. But I'd blame the city before the developer for providing "altered views". The city requires submission of sketchup models and 3d renderings too early in the process. These are expensive to create and there is too much undefined. The city instead should be more concerned with getting accurate 2d elevations and a site plan. The rest is all just marketing, where you will always pick the most attractive view over the most accurate.
So the architects who designed the Nova Centre didn't know what they were doing?

Why is there someone to blame?

Being a professor isn't better than being a practicing architect in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth