HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 5:08 PM

I think a pocket park in the OPUS place would be good and we could put all the outmoded, used and unwanted statues and memorials in it

I suggest a statue of Calatrava and a small monolith called OPUS to start

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 1:10 AM

Skate Escape Publicly Re-Listed For Sale After Deal Falls Through

https://whatnowatlanta.com/longstand...falls-through/

Quote:
Skate Escape and its parcel of land which sits at the corner of 12th Street and Piedmont Avenue at the “front door of Piedmont Park” was recently re-listed for sale, Rob Kincheloe, the broker who holds the listing, Monday told What Now Atlanta (WNA) in a telephone interview. The sales price has not been disclosed.

Tim Holdroyd, who represents the seller of the neighboring circa 1900s building, at 1094 Piedmont Ave NE, told WNA Monday that the properties are the “most complicated parcels of real estate in the City of Atlanta.”

“In my opinion, both properties have to go together, but every sophisticated commercial real estate professional I know has looked at this property and determined it wasn’t worth their time,” Holdroyd said along with a laundry list of reasons why in 14 years he hasn’t been able to get a deal done including zoning and building height restrictions, among other things.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
TBH kinda glad this monstrosity didn't pan out on this plot of land.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:25 PM

Rockefeller Group buys prime development site in Midtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...for-prime.html
Quote:
A New York developer has paid one of the steepest prices yet for a potential high-rise site in Midtown Atlanta.

Rockefeller Group bought 1.1 acres at West Peachtree and 12th Street, a U.S. Post office next to the SkyHouse Midtown apartment tower and diagonal from the more than $500 million 1105 West Peachtree mixed-use project, according to Fulton County property deeds.

Rockefeller Group paid $25 million for the property, or just over $500 per land square foot, rarefied air in Atlanta real estate prices. Only three other sites in the city have ever sold for more on a land-per-square-foot basis, said Alan Wexler, CEO of Databank Inc.

Rockefeller Group was willing to pay a premium to control the site at 1072 West Peachtree. The property is valued at $4.1 million and includes the post office and a parking deck, according to Fulton County tax records. It has been owned since 1989 by an investment group led by Jim Cumming, known over the years for Atlanta landmarks such as The FlatIron Building and the former downtown headquarters of Oxford Industries Inc.

Rockefeller Group has targeted high-profile projects and sites in Midtown to ramp up its Atlanta portfolio. It just announced a joint venture with Selig Enterprises on the Atlanta real estate company’s new 64-unit Midtown luxury condo tower 40 West 12th. That tower, which is catty-corner to Rockefeller’s new development site, will include residences ranging from $800,000 to $2.2 million, an all-season resort style pool and outdoor pool and bar.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Exciting. Can’t wait to see what they have planned.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:53 PM

Drone Flight Over Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 8:53 PM

MARTA North Avenue development takes step forward

https://www.ajc.com/news/commuting-b...CWVMQZDAYFLZ4/

Quote:
A massive commercial development at MARTA’s North Avenue station in Midtown took a step forward Thursday.

The MARTA Board’s planning committee approved a resolution authorizing the agency to negotiate with Portman Holdings to develop 480,000 square feet of office space, 10,000 square feet of retail, a 275-room hotel and 800 parking spaces at the station. The development also would include station improvements, including a covered bus station, space for public events and a fresh market.

Portman submitted the only response to MARTA’s request for proposals from developers. At least one board member is concerned about the lack of competition.

If the full board approves the resolution next week, MARTA must still negotiate details of the development. Agency officials expect to brief the board on the progress of those negotiations within 60 to 90 days.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 12:24 AM

I'm surprised this is moving forward so quick.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Exciting. Can’t wait to see what they have planned.
VERY OLD PIC....

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 9:31 PM

McAuley Park

https://www.smithdalia.com/mcauley-park/
Quote:
Masterplanned by SDA and neighbors of the Martin Luther King Natatorium, McAuley Park is a mixed-use development in Atlanta’s Sweet Auburn District. Designs will include renovation of the existing Mercy Care Clinic, a newly-constructed Mercy Care Office Building, and two new affordable housing developments.
Community Clinic Renovation: The existing clinic at 424 Decatur Street is a 38,000 s.f. building with 1st-floor clinic and offices, and 2nd- floor offices and facilities. It will be renovated while also expanding its clinic operations into other parts of the building.

A new 3-story Office Building will be built adjacent to the clinic.

Affordable Housing will consist of 100 units of senior housing plus 180 units of family housing.

The first project to begin construction will be the Mercy Care Clinic renovation.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 1:46 PM

^Well that's... underwhelming. Across the street from a MARTA station and designed for seniors and low-income people, yet it's still 100% car oriented. 417 new parking spaces for 280 units? Zero restaurant, retail, or active use from what I can see?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 1:54 PM

I think is a fine development. It will work for the area. The development is blocks from Edgewood Ave which is pretty active. I'd advise you to visit the area during the weekend and at night. Right now that area is hot for crime and homeless. People park all along those streets during the weekend to walk along the stretch of Edgewood Ave Club District. Hopefully this will clean the area up a little but I doubt it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^Well that's... underwhelming. Across the street from a MARTA station and designed for seniors and low-income people, yet it's still 100% car oriented. 417 new parking spaces for 280 units? Zero restaurant, retail, or active use from what I can see?
I agree. The city just doesn't seem to have much foresight off the main corridors. Those little active uses are what add up to make a city truly a great city....

Last edited by NYbyWAYofGA; Aug 3, 2020 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 5:38 PM

That is NOT where they should be putting an assisted living. Holy shit, its as if they are actively trying to find the worst use of the land. Amazingly stupid.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
That is NOT where they should be putting an assisted living. Holy shit, its as if they are actively trying to find the worst use of the land. Amazingly stupid.
Typical. I wonder what Keane has to say about this...?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:04 PM

Quote:
The deck also houses the spaces required for the office and replaces existing surface parking being used in the development and needed by Mercy Care.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor View Post
Why do you say that? Where should they put assisted living? It is adjacent to Mercy Care, multiple recreation centers, and a park.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:48 PM

Is it assisted living? The website just says "senior housing" which is pretty different and I think a very relevant use for this location (transit access, healthcare access, etc). But just pretty low density and car-centric layout (including NEW surface parking) for this location. Between the apartments to the west (again, surface parking with no active retail) and the townhomes to the east (no active retail), this is in danger of becoming a lifeless drive-to residential-only neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
But just pretty low density and car-centric layout (including NEW surface parking) for this location. Between the apartments to the west (again, surface parking with no active retail) and the townhomes to the east (no active retail), this is in danger of becoming a lifeless drive-to residential-only neighborhood.
Love all the drama over these additional 50 spaces for the senior home. The parking next to the Mercy center already exists, so they are adding a parking deck and a 50 surface spaces for the senior home. With 5 story buildings fronting the street.... This is 'low density' in danger of turning the neighborhood into lifeless suburban neighborhood with MARTA rail across the street.

This isn't downtown... it isn't midtown. Other than Pencil Factory Apartments, this will be the only parking deck in the immediate area. All other housing has surface parking. I think this will be good density. My grandma had a car at her senior home- and I don't think she would have easily parked in a parking deck. The poles and visibility in parking deck are not easy.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:48 AM

The ignorance here is astounding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta