HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:37 PM

Wasn't there an Aubainerie in the Mapleton Rd shopping strip (currently Christmas Discounters) a few years ago? It barely lasted a year.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
Wasn't there an Aubainerie in the Mapleton Rd shopping strip (currently Christmas Discounters) a few years ago? It barely lasted a year.
I don't recall it, but you may be right. All I know is that Retail-Insider is calling the current AUB44 store their first expansion attempt in English Canada.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Another Quebec based retailer is planning on testing the waters in English Canada.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...a932-113727169

Aubainerie a Quebec-based family-oriented clothing company is planning to open their first non-Quebec store in the Place d'Orleans Shopping Centre in Ottawa soon. They chose this location because of Ottawa's proximity to Quebec and the bilingual profile of the community. If this is an important factor for this company to decide on new locations, it would seem that this would mean Moncton (Dieppe) should be high on their radar.

They are planning on branding their non-Quebec stores as AUB44. They are doing this because they seem to feel that anglophones won't be able to pronounce Aubainerie properly. I don't know whether to feel insulted or not.......
I seriously thought they already had one in Rockland, Ont. (about 45 km east of Ottawa) and maybe some in northern NB too. I need to check...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I guess I was wrong. Place d'Orléans is the only one outside Quebec at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:11 PM

There's never been a L'Aubainerie Croteau (as it was used to be called) in New Brunswick before, so no there wasn't one in Moncton before. This chain is similar to Mode Choc in some instances. I guess it could do well in our market, I see that we are seeing some Quebec based companies setting up in our region lately, not a bad thing if they bring something new!

Not Quebec based but interesting to mention, I would like to see a MEC instead of the Cabela's that could be a great fit for that building.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Not Quebec based but interesting to mention, I would like to see a MEC instead of the Cabela's that could be a great fit for that building.
That's a good thought. Now that Cabela's is out of the market, this could provide an opening for MEC if they were interested (although there is no way that BPS would sell the old Cabela's store to a direct competitor).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:30 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
There's never been a L'Aubainerie Croteau (as it was used to be called) .
And they were the constant target of sarcastic jokes for being the home of cheap, crappy stuff back in the day.

Then they made the most incredible turnaround and rebranding effort, with a new name, a shiny new look to their stores and an endorsement contract with Véronique Cloutier (a pretty big and well-liked celebrity for us), and all of a sudden no one is ashamed to be seen at L'Aubainerie any more.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:41 PM

Indeed, Croteau in French is somewhat a translation of shi**y in English...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
That's a good thought. Now that Cabela's is out of the market, this could provide an opening for MEC if they were interested (although there is no way that BPS would sell the old Cabela's store to a direct competitor).
I'm more of an outdoorsy person anyway; bike, running or hiking than a fisher or hunter, so bring on MEC!!!
In any event, regardless of what people might think, the former Cabela's will be a tough fit to find a replacement, and as you said MonctonRad I'm not sure if BPS would like to sell a space to a fairly direct competitor (MEC), then again I'm sure BPS will want to get rid of that building ASAP. I really feel that a MEC would fit well there, but I'm sure that many retailers in the Moncton area would not like it; Sportchek, BPS, Canadian Tire, Mike's Bike Shop, Cleve's Source for Sports would all feel the heat.

Last edited by OUIR@random; Feb 28, 2018 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:50 PM
ハルウララ

MEC would be a great addition to Moncton's retail scene. Kelowna looks like the smallest CMA with a location (obviously Kelowna is the epitome of outdoorsy) so I don't really think Moncton is that far off.

This is an aside, but Southeast NB's population has crossed the 200K mark which should be opening it up to new retailers, depending on what their thresholds are for new markets. Combine it with a few people from PEI and you have a pretty decent retail market developing with strong growth potential.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 6:36 PM

Speaking of l'Aubainerie, perhaps this is what is coming to Champlain... The rumour is calling for a QC based chain. I hope not, because this would fit in the Trinity shopping area but not at Champlain if they're really planning a turnaround.

We need Hudson's Bay or Simons at Champlain. Everything is still very hush-hush or they don't know what they (CF) are doing yet other than the demo currently going on.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
There's never been a L'Aubainerie Croteau (as it was used to be called) in New Brunswick before, so no there wasn't one in Moncton before. This chain is similar to Mode Choc in some instances. I guess it could do well in our market, I see that we are seeing some Quebec based companies setting up in our region lately, not a bad thing if they bring something new!

I think this was before XS Cargo (so around 10 years ago). The name was anglicized but I distinctly recall seeing Aubainerie and "Tag" (their brand) tags on clothing. The store may actually have been called "Tag". There was also one at Mic Mac Mall around the same time. I can't be the only one who recalls this...

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:11 PM

Tag and Aubainerie or Aub44 are completely unrelated.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Speaking of l'Aubainerie, perhaps this is what is coming to Champlain... The rumour is calling for a QC based chain. I hope not, because this would fit in the Trinity shopping area but not at Champlain if they're really planning a turnaround.

We need Hudson's Bay or Simons at Champlain. Everything is still very hush-hush or they don't know what they (CF) are doing yet other than the demo currently going on.
If people are thinking that L'Aubainerie stores are crappy and cheap looking like a Giant Tiger, they're not.

The one here in Gatineau near my place is not that different in look from the H&M and Forever 21 not too far away in Les Promenades.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Tag and Aubainerie or Aub44 are completely unrelated.
XS Cargo was not related to Aubainerie. They were based in the GTA, but they may have bought excess stock from Aubainerie to liquidate in their stores, which is why those brands appeared at XS Cargo.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 7:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So I wasn't crazy about the Aubainerie company having a store in Rockland. It's called Top Mode Depot and AFAIK it's still open. It basically carries the full line of Aubainerie stuff including the Véro lines and marketing featuring Véronique Cloutier. I believe it was to be the first of a bunch of Top Mode Depot stores in Ontario and maybe elsewhere outside Quebec, but never really took off.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 9:22 PM

Quote:
MEC could always do what others have in the passed, and use a third party purchaser. Unless third Party realestate purchases have somehow been made illegal with all the new realestate laws in place all over Canada to stop the mass Purchasing of realestate by foreign investors who then leave them vacant.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 1:19 AM

Do we know for certain that BPS owns the Cabelas building or are we just assuming they are not leasing it?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
XS Cargo was not related to Aubainerie. They were based in the GTA, but they may have bought excess stock from Aubainerie to liquidate in their stores, which is why those brands appeared at XS Cargo.
I meant another store that was there around the same time (or just before) XS Cargo. They sold Tag, Gagou Tagou and other brands found at l'Aubainerie.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 11:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, this is interesting:

http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...n-2019-189622/

The Rec Room is coming to the Avalon Mall in St. John's. In many ways, the Avalon Mall and Champlain Place are sister malls (dominant malls in relatively similar sized cities on the east coast). We now have proof that Cineplex is willing to consider locating Rec Rooms on the east coast. The question now is whether or not Cadillac Fairview would want one in Champlain Place?

The Rec Room in St. John's will be 30,000 sq ft. The Sears space at Champlain is 107,000 sq ft. The big question therefore is whether or not CF plans to subdivide the Sears space or not. If there is to be no subdivision then CF will be looking towards Simons or HBC. If subdivision is the goal, then Rec Room could definitely be in the mix........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces