HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 11:21 AM
BANNED

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
because the feds lost a few court cases that say they have to consult
PP is not located on Crown Land. As a result, there shouldn't be any legal requirement to consult Aboriginals or any other party besides the stakeholders themselves.

This is not the same scenario as that bloody Kapyong Barracks fiasco, thankfully.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
PP is not located on Crown Land. As a result, there shouldn't be any legal requirement to consult Aboriginals or any other party besides the stakeholders themselves.

This is not the same scenario as that bloody Kapyong Barracks fiasco, thankfully.
Bang on! But this time it's a Liberal politician pretending to care about some of his constituents in a misguided Liberal way!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 6:35 PM

Masonic Temple Renos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Perhaps some encouraging news about the Masonic Temple on Donald and Ellice. Hopefully something interesting will move in.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ions-1.5233770

I agree this is a great building, good location but we all now, Winnipeggers and immediate parking preferred.... ..but..I am curious why Restaurateur Peter Ginakes does not open an eatery at this very location he spent the $4 million in? It kind of makes me question how attainable a spot to turn a profit from? I am all for the renos and truly hope something spectacular can happen, perhaps a boutique hotel?

Last edited by BAKGUY; Aug 4, 2019 at 8:08 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

its the land under the mall. its a complicated mix of ownership.... and thus gets into some tricky areas on obligations the feds have and have been told by the courts on countless occasions... rather they do their due diligence now then a 20 year court battle

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
its the land under the mall. its a complicated mix of ownership.... and thus gets into some tricky areas on obligations the feds have and have been told by the courts on countless occasions... rather they do their due diligence now then a 20 year court battle
Yeah.....no. If we were to go by that asinine logic, then potentially all land across Canada is essentially belonging to the aboriginals and any change of ownership would require consultation because......you know........"it's all their land"

That's a very dangerous slippery slope to follow.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 12:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Yeah.....no. If we were to go by that asinine logic, then potentially all land across Canada is essentially belonging to the aboriginals and any change of ownership would require consultation because......you know........"it's all their land"

all takes is one band to launch a court case though

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
all takes is one band to launch a court case though
Does that apply when the land isn’t 100% crown owned?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 2:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Does that apply when the land isn’t 100% crown owned?
thats where it gets complicated

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:42 PM

Quote:

I don't think that's an accurate characterization at all. It is quite true of federally-owned land that's being disposed of (e.g., anything Canada Lands tries to sell off). But it's not true of private property.

The only reason it might be raised here is because the feds are a 1/3rd shareholder in FNPP and so you could make the case that their ownership of Portage triggers either/both Duty to Consult and Treaty Land Entitlement processes.

If (say) Polo Park were to be sold, none of this would be the case, regardless of how many Indigenous people used the food court

The "slippery slope" here, if there is one, is that moving forward, municipalities may not necessarily want to have the federal government as a shareholder in any project that has land ownership.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Conceptual rendering of observation tower and bridge to Buffalo Crossing

Conceptual rendering of the exterior of the Interpretive Centre retrofit
Good lord, that's ugly.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Good lord, that's ugly.
more like 'gateway to cringe' am i right

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:28 PM

Fort Whyte is a gem. I'm thrilled for the expansion. In many ways, Fort Whyte and Assiniboine Park (and Forest) are one contiguous whole - certainly by bike. Collectively, with all the projects on the go, it's nothing short of spectacular, and an urban natural thoroughfare that I don't think has any rival in the country, save for Vancouver's Stanley Park.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 6:48 PM

I just got back from Islendingadagurinn / Viking Fest and was wondering if any plans to upgrade highway 9 highway 8 to 4 lanes in future? Seems like should be relatively easy.

Note that only area of cottage country I go to is typically Gimli / Winnipeg beach area and I only go in summer a couple of times so it may be as simple as "it really is dead 90% of the year".

Just saw a lot of idiots trying to pass and almost getting into accidents. maybe two of ten passes that seemed competent / safe (as in they fn gunned it and passed with lots of time to spare). I was fortunate no dangerous passes around me but saw 3 or 4 that involved other cars having to either slow down, pull over, etc to avoid accidents.

Either people have gotten worse at figuring out how to pass on the highway or I'm getting old (I was doing this shit less than 10 years ago in my garbage teen car mobile and have no idea why i was in such a rush lol)

edit: meant highway 8, not 9.

Last edited by tree; Aug 6, 2019 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:00 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a short term plan to upgrade Hwy 9 (Main St) from the Perimeter north to Parks Creek (the area around Larters in St Andrews). I'm not sure if you mean Hwy 8 (McPhillips) which I think is the busier route to the Gimli area. There should be a functional design out sometime in the next year from the Perimeter to 230 (the St Andrews Airport). This means it is likely a few years away depending on the Provincial government providing funding...which isn't likely. The current government is focused most on the south perimeter upgrades - yes, they actually look like this is a priority.

There are currently no medium term plans to upgrade 8 past St Andrews.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I just got back from Islendingadagurinn / Viking Fest and was wondering if any plans to upgrade highway 9 to 4 lanes in future? Seems like should be relatively easy.

Note that only area of cottage country I go to is typically Gimli / Winnipeg beach area and I only go in summer a couple of times so it may be as simple as "it really is dead 90% of the year".

Just saw a lot of idiots trying to pass and almost getting into accidents. maybe two of ten passes that seemed competent / safe (as in they fn gunned it and passed with lots of time to spare). I was fortunate no dangerous passes around me but saw 3 or 4 that involved other cars having to either slow down, pull over, etc to avoid accidents.

Either people have gotten worse at figuring out how to pass on the highway or I'm getting old (I was doing this shit less than 10 years ago in my garbage teen car mobile and have no idea why i was in such a rush lol)
I think Highway 8 (McPhillips) has always been more hectic than Highway 9 (Main), which has more turns, slower speeds passing through towns, and basically morphs into a local road when it gets to Winnipeg Beach. Traffic on 8 is so bananas (and I mean mainly that it's full of reckless people trying to pass at any opportunity) that I avoided it and took the slightly slower 9 to get to Matlock this past weekend instead. Thankful for the relatively sane drivers on the two-lane section of 59 up to my family's cottage.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Surely when the Feds put money into Portage Place the intention wasn't to see it become run down and home to gangs and criminal activity? When the mall first opened it was more of an upscale place to shop. Why would they be satisfied with its current state instead of seeing it be refurbished and improved with new ownership?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is a short term plan to upgrade Hwy 9 (Main St) from the Perimeter north to Parks Creek (the area around Larters in St Andrews). I'm not sure if you mean Hwy 8 (McPhillips) which I think is the busier route to the Gimli area. There should be a functional design out sometime in the next year from the Perimeter to 230 (the St Andrews Airport). This means it is likely a few years away depending on the Provincial government providing funding...which isn't likely. The current government is focused most on the south perimeter upgrades - yes, they actually look like this is a priority.

There are currently no medium term plans to upgrade 8 past St Andrews.
Yes definitely meant 8 my bad.
When you're referring to a functional plan from Perimeter to 230 - do you mean 9 or 8? Because on Hwy 8 I think it is already 4 lanes from perimeter up to 230 no?
It's disappointing but at same time I don't know any of the numbers they plan this around but just seems like a few core interlake / lake attractions and towns in Manitoba that are relatively close to the capital city should be given better infrastructure just for tourism sake. I know there are much bigger fish to fry in terms of infrastructure in the province but surprised they aren't like doing it in sustainable portions or adding areas of passing lanes or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
I think Highway 8 (McPhillips) has always been more hectic than Highway 9 (Main), which has more turns, slower speeds passing through towns, and basically morphs into a local road when it gets to Winnipeg Beach. Traffic on 8 is so bananas (and I mean mainly that it's full of reckless people trying to pass at any opportunity) that I avoided it and took the slightly slower 9 to get to Matlock this past weekend instead. Thankful for the relatively sane drivers on the two-lane section of 59 up to my family's cottage.
Am glad am not only one. Am going to consider taking 9 next time during really busy times. the 15-20 mins i might save the other way isn't worth having to babysit idiots who don't know how to pass.

Based on incredibly simple estimates/measurements on Google maps it seems about ~50km outside of the perimeter of Hwy 59 is 4 lane? (I haven't driven it in ages - maybe there are portions I missed when looking that are 2 lanes?)

Compared to the ~15km outside of the perimeter of Hwy 8 that is 4 lanes. That's brutal!

If there was 50km of 4 lane hwy on 8 it would almost reach Winnipeg Beach. (actually gets close to Matlock there)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 11:41 PM
BANNED

bring back the train and add a cycle path along it instead. the amount of cars in places like gimli is ruining the charm

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
We have banked in that hall for 90 years...

I’m in absolute shock at an announcement like that!
I think the City of Winnipeg Planning Department should move into BMO. I’ve always cringed at walking into their ugly and expensive space behind the Fort Garry for 25 years.

I think BMO would give the building to the City for a dollar and a tax credit. The space even with its heating bills would be much better value than its current location. 33,000ft tied to the concourse and that much closer to city hall. Yes, the City would save millions in rent.

That would be a fairly seamless transition in my mind thank you...

Plan B would be a permanent home for the City Archives along with a library, reading room and exhibition space...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 2:35 AM

It was always a wish of mine that the Prairie Dog Central would use that line to ferry tourists to the beach. At least do a Icelandic festival or a Gimli film fest package.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan