HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 7:27 PM

Honest question. How many people actually watch the night news? I haven't done it in years. We don't have cable. We do subscribe to CBC so that we can turn on CBC News when we want Canadian news coverage of something. But really, I think the half hour news formats are dying. I think the replacement is somewhere between 24-hr news networks and websites with some video clips (on site or youtube).

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Honest question. How many people actually watch the night news? I haven't done it in years. We don't have cable. We do subscribe to CBC so that we can turn on CBC News when we want Canadian news coverage of something. But really, I think the half hour news formats are dying. I think the replacement is somewhere between 24-hr news networks and websites with some video clips (on site or youtube).
In Canada, it's hard to say, as TV ratings are very closely guarded. However in Buffalo, NY the combined ratings of the three local newscasts at 11:00pm last year was 10.2, which means that 10.2% of all TV viewers in that market were watching local news at that time. Note that it's a percentage of TV viewers and not the percentage of the full population, though I've seen estimates showing that about 80% of Americans still watch linear TV.

I would assume the stats for Canada aren't that different.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 7:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I do, but, I am 66 years old, so my habits may be different from some of the younger whippersnappers on SSP.

I also don't generally mind the regional format they use here in the Maritimes for CTV News, Global, and for CBC on their 11 PM and weekend newscasts. I've lived in all three provinces, and have an interest in what's going on in the whole region.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
....Big cities are fairing better, now but it won't be long before we start losing TV and newspaper coverage as well. All we'll be left with is the non-sense on Facebook and Twitter.
We've subscribed to the Vancouver Sun (PostMedia, so there's that, but not affiliated with the other Canadian "Sun" papers) for decades. I was cleaning out the basement a few weeks back and came across a copy of the VS from December 1999. We all know that papers have really cut back over the years, but it was quite astonishing to see the difference in quality and content side-by-side.

Quote:
Inevitable. Nobody wants to really pay for journalism. And publicly funded journalism (like the CBC) will always be controversial.
Yes, whenever there's a newspaper subscription posted on RedFlagDeals it inevitably leads to a string of ill-informed comments about how it's "too expensive" to pay a dollar per week. Cheap out on food quality or medical staffing, there's an uproar - but journalists are supposed to somehow deliver high-quality news to keep the masses informed for free.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
I admit, I don't. But my parents certainly do and have been loyal ATV viewers for decades. And CTV's changes to the ATV newsroom lately (including cutting the Live At Five program for Toronto news) has really pissed them off. Cutting out even more Atlantic Canadian news is not going to make them any happier with the way things are going.

While the Maritime population is booming and getting younger, I think it is still old-leaning enough that the old media like TV news is still popular out here and probably not worth messing with.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 4:05 AM
recession proof

I haven't watched TV in over twenty years. It's obnoxious, fake and mostly propaganda.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 5:06 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I haven't watched TV in over twenty years. It's obnoxious, fake and mostly propaganda.
Much of the online world isn't more honest, it can be even worse. There are more choices afforded for information, but it's up to the user to be discerning, and many aren't, and are subjected to more available sources of disinformation and outright predatory behavior. So now, instead of the murky corporate mainstream drug of pseudo-normality, we have more radicals and extremists vying for our attention. Most online news arguably comes from even fewer sources than before.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 10:01 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Honest question. How many people actually watch the night news? I haven't done it in years.
The question is actually bigger than that ... namely How many people actually watch anything on CBC other than the news?

I think that the answer would be significantly less than those that watch the National/local news. While I think a valid argument can be made for keeping CBC news capability and delivery (as has been done these past few pages) do we really need to continue to subsidize it for Heartland or yet another cop show?

While a full cancellation of the CBC is not the right move, at least a transformation to a news only service would be in the best interests of all Canadians. Hell I would support the same level of funding if it meant detailed and local news reporting and delivery from coast to coast to coast.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
We sometimes have it on in the background while making dinner. If there was a better delivery mechanism such as an App on Apple TV we might put it on in the background at other times. I think a 10 minute YouTube format would be good. I would watch that while eating breakfast.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 1:59 PM

As for the CBC, I'd dare say their shows are more popular than you might expect. Granted it was somewhat a side effect of the studios Strike-proofing their schedule, but I was surprised at how much the CW network basically became CBC-USA in recent years with all the imports they brought in; including ones I never would have expected. ("Son of a Critch"?)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 2:11 PM

Yeah cbc is still fairly popular around here I know a couple families that have been on family feud and it’s the only decent local news cast. The last show I watched on there was sort of. That’s a really good show and I think some of the straight SJW’s on here should watch it and they might actually learn a bit about non binary and transgendered people and their struggles.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:04 AM

Mansbridge drops the mic.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
The question is actually bigger than that ... namely How many people actually watch anything on CBC other than the news?
Hockey Night in Canada.

True, the program has been controlled by Rogers since 2014 (ten years already??) but there is promotion for CBC programs in the broadcast.

I still think it was a big mistake for CBC to let HNIC get snapped up by Rogers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like "Still Standing". It is genuinely funny, and helps to build bridges and foster understanding across the country. This show is an act of nation building.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I like "Still Standing". It is genuinely funny, and helps to build bridges and foster understanding across the country. This show is an act of nation building.
I watch that now and again, if it's a community I'm familiar with.

Outside of news and hockey, I watch This Hour Has 22 Minutes and Son of a Critch. When it was still making new episodes, I also watched Kim's Convenience. Still occasionally watch it on CBC Gem.

I also watched The Nature of Things last week, which I haven't watched in ages. Though David Suzuki has retired from the show. I'm more of a NOVA viewer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I also watched The Nature of Things last week, which I haven't watched in ages. Though David Suzuki has retired from the show. I'm more of a NOVA viewer.
There is no comparison. Nova is science documentary film making of the highest order. The Nature of Things is low budget, preachy and condescending. Suzuki himself is a hypocrite.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:41 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Agreed. I used to be a regular viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I watch that now and again, if it's a community I'm familiar with.
That's the point, to watch and learn about communities you aren't familiar with across Canada. Sometimes you might discover really neat little places you might not have otherwise known even existed, that you might now want to visit in your travels

Last edited by Wigs; Feb 12, 2024 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:31 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
As for the CBC, I'd dare say their shows are more popular than you might expect.
FWIW, the top 20 tv shows in Canada in December 2023:

1. Survivor (Global)
2. The Amazing Race Canada (CTV)
3. The Masked Singer (CTV)
4. NFL on Sunday Late (CTV)
5. NFL on Sunday Early (CTV)
6. Big Brother Tuesday (Global)
7. Big Brother Thursday (Global)
8. The Amazing Race (CTV)
9. Magnum, P.I. (CTV)
10. Kitchen Nightmares (CTV)
11. The Traitors Canada (CTV)
12. Hell’s Kitchen (Citytv)
13. Saturday Night Live (Global)
14. Sunday Night Football (CTV)
15. Murdoch Mysteries (CBC)
16. Special Forces: World’s Toughest Test (CTV)
17. Jeopardy! (IndieNet)
18. Hudson & Rex (Citytv)
19. Snake Oil (CTV)
20. Hockey Night in Canada (Sportsnet National)

For radio, CBC One is the most popular station in Toronto and Calgary, though out of the top 5 in Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
There is no comparison. Nova is science documentary film making of the highest order. The Nature of Things is low budget, preachy and condescending. Suzuki himself is a hypocrite.
Is there any aspect of CBC that isn't preachy on some level?

If a had to use a single word to describe the vibe of CBC it's 'paternalistic'.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:35 PM

For CBC it's HNIC, Great Can Baking Shiow and Marketplace. Outside of that, just CBC News Network. I use to watch the National with Peter religiously but now can't stand the program. It's gone from a newscast to woke cry me a river preaching session. It's 2 person at different locations anchor system is ridiculous. They say it's novel and it is but only because no other newscast is stupid enough to do it.

The only way to get the CBC out of it's current malaise is to run the system like PBS. No local news and put that money into quality programming that people will actually watch. Get rid of ALL TV news and ALL CBC TV stations and run everything out of Montreal for French & Toronto for English.

Keep CBC Radio as it seems well patronized throughout the country but TV should be national and 100% Canadian content save a few exceptions like movies, rare events etc but all regular programming should be Canadian. Certainly, you can have different programs created in different areas and then presented as part of the national programming but local news, programs should be ditched. The CBC should have the exact same programming in St.John's as it does in Victoria. If someone wants local content they can go to CBC Radio or any other network and there should be no exceptions including in the North and Aboriginal programs.

The world of communications & entertainment has changed to the point of being unrecognizable in the last 70 years yet CBC's mandate hasn't changed a bit and that has to change if it is to become relevant to Canadians. The reason why many think the CBC should have it's funding reduced {although I think VERY few would agree with it's abolition} is that most really wouldn't miss it.

CBC tries to serve everyone decently and in the process serves no one well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada