HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 1:40 PM

Just heard on the radio that the Pinkie Rd - TCH overpass opens today.

Link
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...866/story.html

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; Oct 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Link found

Old Posted Oct 1, 2013, 4:03 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Like this.
That is exactly it. Hard to describe in words.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 10:59 PM

Hey guys

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Some questions/comments about future interchanges and grade separations in the Winnipeg area:

1) Lagimodiere/North perimeter interchange…information found on Manitoba website indicates construction timeline as commencing 2014, completion 2017. Can anyone verify if this timeline is still accurate? Or has this project been delayed? It seems to me some parts of the project plan are being implemented (access changes to Lagimodiere south of intersection being one example)…so hopefully this is indication that this long-awaited interchange is still a go.

2) After Lag/north perimeter interchange is completed, does anybody know what the next planned perimeter interchange will be? Three main three areas of concern IMO are McGillvary, St. Marys, and Dugald (this tops my personal list as currently Transcona commuters heading south around city have no means to bypass a train on CN mainline).

3) Looking east of Bishop/Lag intersection, it looks like preliminary work has begun on Bishop extension east to Fermor. My understanding was that this project was still years off, does anybody know if this has been fast-tracked? If so, that’s fantastic, and I can only assume that plan is to connect Bishop at Fermor with the future re-alignment of Plessis as part of inner-city beltway system. My hope is that when this extension is done, it’s not done on the cheap, but done the right way with interchanges at both Bishop/Lag and Bishop/Fermor. Is announcement of grade separation at Bishop/Kenaston an indication that the city is committed to improvement of traffic flow (at least at major intersections) on this inner city beltway system?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Just heard on the radio that the Pinkie Rd - TCH overpass opens today.

Link
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/regin...866/story.html
Yup went and used it yesterday.. Was glorious! Just a few odds and ends to clean up, and then lighting I would expect soon (next year) but also good news is they were really working hard on the new roadbed north of the TCH towards Dewdney. So hopefully they have a good majority of the work done before the snow flies.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 2:36 PM
What could go wrong?

......see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Hey guys

Some questions/comments about future interchanges and grade separations in the Winnipeg area:

1) Lagimodiere/North perimeter interchange…information found on Manitoba website indicates construction timeline as commencing 2014, completion 2017. Can anyone verify if this timeline is still accurate? Or has this project been delayed? It seems to me some parts of the project plan are being implemented (access changes to Lagimodiere south of intersection being one example)…so hopefully this is indication that this long-awaited interchange is still a go.

Delayed pending funding agreement with the Fed's. Hopeful to start 2015.

2) After Lag/north perimeter interchange is completed, does anybody know what the next planned perimeter interchange will be? Three main three areas of concern IMO are McGillvary, St. Marys, and Dugald (this tops my personal list as currently Transcona commuters heading south around city have no means to bypass a train on CN mainline).

Dugald is definitely down the list of possible grade separations. They just completed the new "3"lane bridge and had an already built in detour to work with and didn't do it. My bets would be with a south Perimeter intersection being next, likely St Mary's Rd.

3) Looking east of Bishop/Lag intersection, it looks like preliminary work has begun on Bishop extension east to Fermor. My understanding was that this project was still years off, does anybody know if this has been fast-tracked? If so, that’s fantastic, and I can only assume that plan is to connect Bishop at Fermor with the future re-alignment of Plessis as part of inner-city beltway system. My hope is that when this extension is done, it’s not done on the cheap, but done the right way with interchanges at both Bishop/Lag and Bishop/Fermor. Is announcement of grade separation at Bishop/Kenaston an indication that the city is committed to improvement of traffic flow (at least at major intersections) on this inner city beltway system?

This extension is pretty far off from what i have been told, but things seem to be changing at random.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 2:43 PM

Quote:

1) Lagimodiere/North perimeter interchange [edit]

After Lag I think the 2/3 intersection south of McGilvary is the top priority followed by HWY 6. HWY 6 might not seem important but the CentrePort plan calls for HWY 6 to be extended south and basically merge with the norht/south portion of Sturgeon Rd. In terms of the pull of CentrePort look no further than the Saskatchewan Ave/CentrePort Canada Way interchange that was built ahead of even Lag/North Perimeter.

I heard they were trying to find a way to build one full interchange that would server both St Marys and St Annes that would eliminated both signaled crossings, it might include an east/west access road, one interchange and one overpass with no left turns. An interchange at Dugald though seems like a long shot, as it didn't look like there was enough space when they they were construction the north Perimeter completion link, it is likely a lower priority right now than even Pipeline and the Perimeter or the speculated Gateway/Perimeter crossing.

Quote:
In terms of priority projects in the city for new major roads the next few years on focused on the fastest growing areas of the city aka the north west, north east and Waverly West. The west extension of Bishop, the south extension of Kenaston (both with will eventually meeet the Perimter), the west to CentrePort extension of Cheif Peagus Trail are all near term projects. After that the north/south road in Transcona which may be a Plessis overhaul, and Cheif Peagus from Lag to "Plessis" are the focus projects. In terms of interchanges inside the Perimiter, Bishop/Kenaston is likely top priority as work has already been done there. Lag/Regent is also very high on the wish list. As for Bishop/Fermor, not sure the plan there but it would not surprise me if they did something to just resue the Fermor/Plessis interchange in place of a new Bishop/Fermor one. Bishop/St Marys is also likely ahead of Bishop/Lag. Basically the inner priority routes are likely to be Chief Peagus, Bishop, Lag and Kenaston, any intersection those have is fair game for an interchange or being closed (ie Renders, River, Pipeline, Tayor, etc).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 5:12 PM

The work going on at the east Bishop location seems to be the developer scraping the topsoil. They technically own it, not the city. So they're getting whatever money/product they can out of there before it's turned over to the city.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 5:58 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

In terms of priority projects in the city for new major roads the next few years on focused on the fastest growing areas of the city aka the north west, north east and Waverly West.
This caught my eye : The northwest and north east are the two slowest-growing quadrants of the city. It's been that way for decades and nothing has changed.

The southwest and the southeast outstrip growth in the northern half of the city by an order of magnitude. While growth has picked up in the north , unless you're going outside of the city (which has also seen a slowdown in the north) The only high-growth area , really , is the industrial at the far north-western edge where the CCW is being built to accommodate increased industrial traffic.

The only reason the northern half of the city is getting any roadwork attention is because it's been so long since upgrades were made. It took decades just to get the CPT to run through the corridor set aside for it several decades ago.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
This caught my eye : The northwest and north east are the two slowest-growing quadrants of the city. It's been that way for decades and nothing has changed.
While I could be wrong the enrollment numbers in Seven Oaks School Division (north-west Winnipeg) are hard to ignore as they are at or beyond capacity in most of their buildings with the Amber Trails area showing no signs of slowing down. There has also been a huge housing boom in north Transcona/Habour View South area that is one of the big pushes behind the Plessis Rd upgrade/replacement with significant more housing planned there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
.In terms of priority projects in the city for new major roads the next few years on focused on the fastest growing areas of the city aka the north west, north east and Waverly West. The west extension of Bishop, the south extension of Kenaston (both with will eventually meeet the Perimter), the west to CentrePort extension of Cheif Peagus Trail are all near term projects. After that the north/south road in Transcona which may be a Plessis overhaul, and Cheif Peagus from Lag to "Plessis" are the focus projects. In terms of interchanges inside the Perimiter, Bishop/Kenaston is likely top priority as work has already been done there. Lag/Regent is also very high on the wish list. As for Bishop/Fermor, not sure the plan there but it would not surprise me if they did something to just resue the Fermor/Plessis interchange in place of a new Bishop/Fermor one. Bishop/St Marys is also likely ahead of Bishop/Lag. Basically the inner priority routes are likely to be Chief Peagus, Bishop, Lag and Kenaston, any intersection those have is fair game for an interchange or being closed (ie Renders, River, Pipeline, Tayor, etc).
So does any actual plan exist for upgrading some of these major intersections along the inner beltway with grade separations? Some upgrades along Bishop would be a great start...that street is becoming worse and worse for traffic congestion as south Winnipeg grows. Is the city even seriously contemplating anything in this regard? Or is this just a silly pipe dream on my part?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
So does any actual plan exist for upgrading some of these major intersections along the inner beltway with grade separations? Some upgrades along Bishop would be a great start...that street is becoming worse and worse for traffic congestion as south Winnipeg grows. Is the city even seriously contemplating anything in this regard? Or is this just a silly pipe dream on my part?
Bishop @ Kenaston and Lag @ Regent are both in some level of planning stage however keep in mind a full interchange for Lag @ Perimeter has been in the planning stages for 40+ years now. Anything outside those two is likely on the ten year or more list currently with CenterPort/Chief Peagus likely being higher priority than Bishop due to the strategic transporation initative policies attached to CenterPort's development.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 4:39 PM

So is Lag and Regent actually in planning stages? Like has something actually been looked at by the City other than saying something needs to be done there? Or is it just wishful thinking. The speed limit was reduced last year from 80 km/h to 70 km/h through the intersection.

I know it's gets mentioned in all the planning studies, etc. that have taken place for the Transcona West developments. And seeing how the City is just completing repaving of Lag (north of Reenders mind you), I would say it's probably going to be a while before anything happens there.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
So is Lag and Regent actually in planning stages? Like has something actually been looked at by the City other than saying something needs to be done there? Or is it just wishful thinking. The speed limit was reduced last year from 80 km/h to 70 km/h through the intersection.

I know it's gets mentioned in all the planning studies, etc. that have taken place for the Transcona West developments. And seeing how the City is just completing repaving of Lag (north of Reenders mind you), I would say it's probably going to be a while before anything happens there.
Seems like wishful thinking to me. The costs for a Lag/Regent interchange would be astronomical when factoring in land acquisition costs, buying out three strip malls, Moxies, etc. Likely can't even add a third lane on each side without buying out some or all of these businesses. Which is what I imagine the city will do with Bishop eventually..triple it instead of strategic interchange construction. Guessing adding 2 or 3 interchanges would cost near the same as adding a third lane from Lag to Kenaston (and beyond each direction soon enough) and provide better traffic flow (in all directions) than a 3rd lane would. Considering the amount of unnecessary and poorly synchronized lights along that "expressway". I hope I am wrong but favouring lane additions over grade separations seems to be the Winnipeg way.

Last edited by Reignman; Oct 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM. Reason: Mistake

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 5:22 PM

Likely wouldn't be any loops at the Regent/Lag one, just a diamond. But yeah, costs would be high.. It would also make sense to do the Reenders diamond at the same time. But again, likely wishful thinking.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:22 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Likely wouldn't be any loops at the Regent/Lag one, just a diamond. But yeah, costs would be high.. It would also make sense to do the Reenders diamond at the same time. But again, likely wishful thinking.
I would think they would have to do Reenders at the same time with the trenching that would be required.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I would think they would have to do Reenders at the same time with the trenching that would be required.
You would think. Looking at the Plessis underpass though, the Dugald intersection will be lowered by like 10' or something. Reenders is much further away. However, Plessis is budget constrained. As we've discussed before.

Edit: Looks like the plan changed for the Dugald intersection. Slight lowering but not 10' anymore.

Last edited by bomberjet; Oct 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Plans Changed.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 9:39 PM

Quote:
You would think. Looking at the Plessis underpass though, the Dugald intersection will be lowered by like 10' or something. Reenders is much further away. However, Plessis is budget constrained. As we've discussed before.

Edit: Looks like the plan changed for the Dugald intersection. Slight lowering but not 10' anymore.
With the CN line being what, maybe 100 yards from Dugald Rd, and now that Plessis has been mentioned as the eastern leg of inner beltway, why would a diamond not be constructed at Dugald/Plessis at the same time? Perfect opportunity...much or all of the earth required for a diamond will be removed for the underpass.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 9:50 PM

I thought I read somewhere about an idea to sink Lagimodiere between the CN overpass to the south and the north side of Almey. Have diamond interchanges (similar to I29 in Fargo) at Regent and Reenders with both of those two streets as overpasses and have Almey as an basic overpass into the Rona parking lot, with adjustments. I'm sure the costs would be pretty significant and odds are the tallheads over at City Hall probably wouldn't even consider it, but it would be something to dream about.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 1:38 PM
What could go wrong?

I think I showed this before, my idea of what to do at Regent & Lag. My only question is how to connect to Almey properly (because I am no civil engineer)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 1:41 PM
What could go wrong?

It should be just like this construction in Calgary by Chinook Centre. The dimensions are very comparable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan