HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:33 PM

I am guessing the roof plus the mohawk added to the tower will be between 1,100 ft and 1,150 ft, making the spire measure about 100 - 150 feet, totaling 1,200 ft to 1,250 ft.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
After looking at the renderings versus some real life pictures, I definitely agree with you.

Compared to the Figueroa at Wilshire building, the roof heights of the Wilshire Grand and the US Bank tower are roughly the same, with maybe a slight advantage to the Wilshire Grand. The spire adds an extra 100-150 feet, though.

It will probably be somewhere between 1100 and 1200 feet tall.
although that might be true you really cant use those two pictures to compare since both are taken from a diffrent angle and a different distance making buildings seem taller or shorter than they are.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 1:59 AM

Why can they just put 4 wrecking balls on each corner on the dam old building and just get it over with and demolish the dam freaking building allready, I wanna see our new tallest building on the west cost in the united states rise. Don't u agreed people??..... it looks like a bauty to me!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 2:15 AM

I saw a picture on curb L.A where there some people working on the design or doing something on the table where their sitting on and on their backs u can see a small picture board of the down town skyline and with the new single tall building and definitely looks taller than the USBT it looks the same height as of the other previous design(1250ft) sorry don't have that picture to show you but you can search on Google!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 5:03 AM
Editor

I'd love to this one get built.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 5:33 AM

Quote:

Compared to the Figueroa at Wilshire building, the roof heights of the Wilshire Grand and the US Bank tower are roughly the same, with maybe a slight advantage to the Wilshire Grand. The spire adds an extra 100-150 feet, though.

It will probably be somewhere between 1100 and 1200 feet tall.
Are you counting the "fin" as part of the roof height? Because that's what it looks like to me. The top occupiable floor looks to be just below 1000 feet, maybe right at it, but the "fin" adds about 75 to 100 feet. The spire seen in some renderings I could do without though.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess2012rocha View Post
Why can they just put 4 wrecking balls on each corner on the dam old building and just get it over with and demolish the dam freaking building allready, I wanna see our new tallest building on the west cost in the united states rise. Don't u agreed people??..... it looks like a bauty to me!
To make it simple, they want to salvage what they can from the old building.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 9:38 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Part of LEED certification, which I'm sure this building is going for, is recycling or reusing materials from demolition on site, as well as recycling or reusing of construction materials, such as the wood used for concrete framing. This kind of demolition is far more expensive because it's time consuming, but may be important - or a City requirement - for building such a large project as this.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 8:14 PM

Concrete barriers are now up around the perimeter.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 4:36 AM

We are in the starting stages of a massive tower. Just think, in a few years, this will be gone and a tower going 60+ stories will be under construction.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 4:09 AM

After work, I went down and took a couple pictures of the demolition progress. This is the Wilshire entrance; the 7th street entrance is in similar condition.

This was strung up yesterday on the Wilshire side. Anyone know what this is supposed to be for?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 5:38 AM

Am I the only one surprised that this is ACTUALLY happening? We are witnessing a massive change to our skyline.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:49 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Am I the only one surprised that this is ACTUALLY happening? We are witnessing a massive change to our skyline.
Since I have alot on my plate at the moment and being out of California, I don't follow the project like I did before. So when I do come back to the forum and see the pictures, I am a bit surprised that it's moving forward.

I guess people will be more excited when official height and full color renders are released.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I'm going to wait until we see steel rise from the site before voicing my exclamation.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I'm going to wait until we see steel rise from the site before voicing my exclamation.
Agreed. I was bummed out enough when they got rid of the smaller tower, but if they chop this baby off any more I'm gonna be sorely disappointed... We did not tear down a historic structure (bad conditioned as it might be) only THEN to see it end up as some 50 story, 750 ft piece of crap. I want my new uS Bank tower!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 4:27 AM

I'm not "in the know" or anything, but it's clear the reason they're being so vague about the height of this tower is because of the existing helipad requirements. If they get changed over the next year they'll go with the spire design (it's obvious that from the beginning they wanted something like this) and will go for the full height allowed which is 1250 ft. If helipad stays, they'll go with one of the 10 designs that were posted in this thread a couple months ago and the height will be somewhere around 1000 ft.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Agreed. I was bummed out enough when they got rid of the smaller tower, but if they chop this baby off any more I'm gonna be sorely disappointed... We did not tear down a historic structure (bad conditioned as it might be) only THEN to see it end up as some 50 story, 750 ft piece of crap. I want my new uS Bank tower!
"Piece of crap," is not how I would describe a 50 story, 750 tall skyscraper.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to shoot for the full 1250 feet. But while I'd be disappointed if the tower winds up being downsized, I'd still be grateful to see something as substantial as a 750 footer go up. We don't to see too many of those built in Los Angeles right now.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
I'm not "in the know" or anything, but it's clear the reason they're being so vague about the height of this tower is because of the existing helipad requirements. If they get changed over the next year they'll go with the spire design (it's obvious that from the beginning they wanted something like this) and will go for the full height allowed which is 1250 ft. If helipad stays, they'll go with one of the 10 designs that were posted in this thread a couple months ago and the height will be somewhere around 1000 ft.
A spire in LA would be awesome!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
"Piece of crap," is not how I would describe a 50 story, 750 tall skyscraper.

Don't get me wrong, I want them to shoot for the full 1250 feet. But while I'd be disappointed if the tower winds up being downsized, I'd still be grateful to see something as substantial as a 750 footer go up. We don't to see too many of those built in Los Angeles right now.
I understand. It's just that they really have downsized on the original plan so much already, to the point of where it's starting to become predictable.

Remember, this was proposed during the depths of the recession, and the momentum in DTLA has grown TREMENDOUSLY since then. If anything, this plan should've become more ambitious, not less.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 3:52 PM

Why did this thread turn morose all of a sudden ? Are there any certain indications that the tower has been chopped ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive