HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 12:29 PM

Looks like they've released the rendering for the LDS Temple to be built in Cedar City. I like the strong sense of authentic historical design. Seems many of the newest LDS Temples are reaching back to an age of much appreciated craftsmanship. I like it a lot. IMO, these type of designs never become out of sync or unavoidably dated looking in an unflattering way.

The new Regent Hotel in Downtown Salt Lake City will be an excellent example of the kind of proven classical bones that I hope we'll be seeing a lot more of in the future for Salt Lake's CBD. Successful Contemporary like the Wilshire Grand here in Downtown L.A. is fantasic, but Salt Lake will be well served to also include a healthy mix of proven design beauties. It will make for a far more interesting and lively CBD.

July 30, 2015 Courtesy of Alan Jensen

July 19, 2015 Courtesy of Kurtis Leany – Zion Photography

Last edited by delts145; Aug 8, 2015 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 5:32 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Looks like they've released the rendering for the LDS Temple to be built in Cedar City. I like the strong sense of authentic historical design. Seems many of the newest LDS Temples are reaching back to an age of much appreciated craftsmanship. I like it a lot.

[CENTER]
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/ceda...on-temple1.jpg

This looks really great. What a great fit for Cedar City!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 6:09 PM

I'm not generally a fan of the faux-historic thing, but I do think that this one and the Brigham City temples both did it well. I *do* think the Brigham City does it better, simply because of its location on main street (don't know if it's officially Main Street, but it's the main street) in town, letting it build the downtown and the sort of campus they've got with the historic tabernacle across the street.

I know Cedar City's got a different layout, and has a main street more of chain restaurants and motels than charming little restaurants and shops...but if the temple's just going to be up on the side of the hill in a new subdivision, I don't know how much that "historic" design really matters.

I still like it, don't get me wrong. I think I'd just like it more in a different setting.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 8:51 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I'm not generally a fan of the faux-historic thing, but I do think that this one and the Brigham City temples both did it well. I *do* think the Brigham City does it better, simply because of its location on main street (don't know if it's officially Main Street, but it's the main street) in town, letting it build the downtown and the sort of campus they've got with the historic tabernacle across the street.

I know Cedar City's got a different layout, and has a main street more of chain restaurants and motels than charming little restaurants and shops...but if the temple's just going to be up on the side of the hill in a new subdivision, I don't know how much that "historic" design really matters.

I still like it, don't get me wrong. I think I'd just like it more in a different setting.
While I agree with much of what you say, I think too often we think of "faux-historic" architecture in relation to our limited time with it. I mean, this structure will be around for a long time (hundreds?) of years... In this forum, we envision way too short term based on our short lives. Who knows how development patterns will end up in Cedar City 20, 50, 100+ years from today. I think this has a fairly timeless look to it and 50 years from now when I'm picking out my gravesite before taking a long nap, I will probably look at it and view it differently than forumers who at that time will see it as an "historic" structure.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 11:49 PM

Acknowledged. I just don't see a time where the Cedar City site has an advantage over the Brigham City site, whether its in regards to current infrastructure or future urban planning. But I prefer the temples integrated in the cities instead of springing up in residential developments. As with most public/pseudopublic structures.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 12:08 AM

Way too much grass for the climate. This will set an example for residents... and goodbye water.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Way too much grass for the climate. This will set an example for residents... and goodbye water.
...I was wondering about too, especially where (in some areas) the LDS Church has been incorporating a lot more xeriscaping. I wonder if that's something that could be pointed out to the...planning...someone...Jesus...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 4:36 PM

kind of looks like a combination of the St. George and Manti temples

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 3:24 AM

Has anyone mentioned that American Airlines is starting a SGU-LAX flight? Well, they are.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 7:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Has anyone mentioned that American Airlines is starting a SGU-LAX flight? Well, they are.
No they are not. Someone simply went onto Wikipedia and added a SGU-LAX flight starting October 9th, which isn't true. If you got to American's website aa.com you will see there is no such flight in their system. Right now St. George officials are trying to get a $400,000 grant from the government to help expand service from SGU to either LAX or PHX. They hope the money will be granted sometime later this year. If the money is granted then it is assumed that American's regional carrier American Eagle will do the flying on behalf of American to either LAX or PHX because of the hubs American has at those two airports. This is of course if American is chosen and decides to offer service to SGU. It is also possible that either Delta, Alaska Airlines, or United Airlines could do the flight to LAX as well since those three airlines have a hub at LAX as well.

Here is the link to the article that goes into more detail about what I mentioned... http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ce.html?pg=all

Right now there are five daily flights in/out of SGU. Two to DEN on behalf of United and three to SLC on behalf of Delta. The DEN flights which were added a couple years ago are doing extremely well and the second daily flight was added earlier this summer as seasonal but has been such a success that United has decided to keep it year-round.

But again, there are NO official plans right now from American/American Eagle to start SGU-LAX service.

Last edited by San Diego-Honolulu; Aug 23, 2015 at 8:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 9:45 PM

Weird. Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego-Honolulu View Post
No they are not. Someone simply went onto Wikipedia and added a SGU-LAX flight starting October 9th, which isn't true. If you got to American's website aa.com you will see there is no such flight in their system. Right now St. George officials are trying to get a $400,000 grant from the government to help expand service from SGU to either LAX or PHX. They hope the money will be granted sometime later this year. If the money is granted then it is assumed that American's regional carrier American Eagle will do the flying on behalf of American to either LAX or PHX because of the hubs American has at those two airports. This is of course if American is chosen and decides to offer service to SGU. It is also possible that either Delta, Alaska Airlines, or United Airlines could do the flight to LAX as well since those three airlines have a hub at LAX as well.

Here is the link to the article that goes into more detail about what I mentioned... http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ce.html?pg=all

Right now there are five daily flights in/out of SGU. Two to DEN on behalf of United and three to SLC on behalf of Delta. The DEN flights which were added a couple years ago are doing extremely well and the second daily flight was added earlier this summer as seasonal but has been such a success that United has decided to keep it year-round.

But again, there are NO official plans right now from American/American Eagle to start SGU-LAX service.
Its like the people that go on to Wikipedia and put their city in the list of cities with Google fiber even though it isn't a city with Google fiber.

Also doesn't American eagle sell clothes?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Its like the people that go on to Wikipedia and put their city in the list of cities with Google fiber even though it isn't a city with Google fiber.

Also doesn't American eagle sell clothes?
Haha, yes there is also a clothing company named American Eagle Outfitters. But it is not to be confused with American Eagle Airlines which is the name brand for the airlines (Compass, Mesa, Republic, Air Wisconsin, SkyWest, Envoy Air, Piedmont, Trans States, and PSA) that fly regionally for American Airlines. It is similar to Delta's Delta Connection which consist of SkyWest, Compass, Endeavor, ExpressJet, Shuttle America, and GoJet.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:29 PM

St. George Apartments: Update plans and renderings moved to next page

Last edited by delts145; Mar 25, 2017 at 6:23 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 7:54 PM

St. George Hyatt Place - Opening 2016 - 95 Rooms

Last edited by delts145; Mar 25, 2017 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:42 PM

I was in St. George this last weekend and was surprised to see that growth has rebounded. Everywhere we went we saw new homes being built. I still think they need more industry and can't figure out what the people that live there do for a living... but having grown up there, I'm ecstatic that it's growing again.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 10:18 PM

Good to see St. G getting some higher-density housing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
I was in St. George this last weekend and was surprised to see that growth has rebounded. Everywhere we went we saw new homes being built. I still think they need more industry and can't figure out what the people that live there do for a living... but having grown up there, I'm ecstatic that it's growing again.
That's what I always think when I drive through cities like St George, Cedar, Logan, or even really small towns. Where do all these people work?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 5:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
That's what I always think when I drive through cities like St George, Cedar, Logan, or even really small towns. Where do all these people work?
Here are the six largest employers in Washington County and number of employees:

Intermountain Health Care/Dixie Regional Medical Center | 3,000-3,999
Washington County School District | 2,000-2,999
Dixie State College of Utah | 1,000-1,999
Wal-Mart | 1,000-1,999
City of St. George | 500-999
SkyWest Airlines | 500-999

These six companies by themselves make up a good amount so it's easy to start and see where a lot of people work. Here is the link for the full list...http://www.brcdixie.com/ssp/major-employers/

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
I think a lot of them are done working...

www.UtahProjects.info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West