HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 11:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Bingo!

And edluva, stating facts is hardly a personal attack. Your post history speaks for itself - loud and clear.
That budget is for WAY more than what you mention, and you know it. You are being overly simplistic and totally unreasonable.

To secure all terminals seamlessly with the TBIT would cost a fortune, and there are more pressing needs.

Your continuous and unrelenting negativity regarding all aspects of L.A. in the over 11 years I've been here makes me realize there is no reason to continue this discussion.

Have a good night.

tell me where you've offered a single fact in the above statement (or any of your replies for that matter?) to date, you've only offered personal opinions on the cost, and your personal take on my behavior on this forum.

you've established nothing.

the single fact remains, despite Rail being your friend, he can't deny that you are wrong about costs necessarily being prohibitive. your face saving gesture is hollow and painfully obvious

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
Speaking of intellectual dishonesty, Ragnar, are you pulling things out of your arse? Did you not read what Rail Claimore just vouched for about costs not being as prohibitive as atlantaguy makes them out to be?

Transfers between connecting flights will always occur regardless of whether it is a pain in the ass (status quo) or convenient (seamless transfers). In either case, noone is going to be setting foot in LA. Is that concept difficult for you to understand?

speaking of intellectual dishonesty, i find it amusing you didn't address Rail Claimore when he basically said the exact same thing I did about the feasibility of connecting the terminals.
Ugh... you really are the king of twisting, omitting, and falsifying to suit your agenda.

Fact: TBIT costs way less than the "$5 billion" you stated
Fact: They ARE building a post-security connector between T4 and TBIT (which you conveniently forgot to mention)
Fact: You said facilitating connections would provide the "biggest bang for the buck". I strongly disagree with that, especially as it relates to the citizens of Los Angeles and visitors to L.A. (you know, those people the airport is REALLY meant to serve).
Fact: Per Rail Claimore's argument (which I do agree with), they haven't even figured out what they are going to DO with Terminals 1-3 yet, so building post-security connectors between them and TBIT is pointless. They are wrangling over where the Northern runways are even going to be, and once that is decided, then the fates of Terminals 1-3 can be decided.

YOU don't seem to grasp the concept that there are more important things that LAX needs to tackle right now that provide more "bang for the buck" than terminal-to-terminal connections. One of the next big "bangs for the buck" needs to be the consolidated rental car facility and the people mover to get to there and the Crenshaw Line. That will be a big help in alleviating the traffic in the terminal ring.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2013, 10:02 PM
BANNED

The Architecture + Design museum of Los Angeles has a cool exhibition on projects that never saw the light of day, among them a plan to unify all off LAX's terminals under a single dome. How great would have this been built? A glass dome with a central column decpicting a map of the world:

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1671625/...of-los-angeles

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 3:57 PM

The Airlines' Battle for Los Angeles

By Justin Bachman
August 06, 2013
Bloomberg

"There are more than 50 flights each day between Los Angeles and San Francisco, enough for one every 20 minutes from 6 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Nonetheless, Delta Air Lines (DAL) sees room for more.

The airline made a splash on Aug. 1, when it announced a new hourly shuttle between LA and San Francisco, modeled on the service it operates between New York and Boston, Chicago and Washington. Shuttles are just regular flights with separate, faster check-in counters, a more liberal, 30-minute check-in window, and free in-flight newspapers, wine, and beer. (In California, Delta’s going with Sierra Nevada and Wente, two brands from the state.) The shuttle expansion is part of a push by Delta to boost its share of the market at Los Angeles International, where it’s investing in a new terminal 5 and new clubs, a project that’s expected to be finished in 2015..."

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...or-los-angeles

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 7:46 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 10:45 PM

^Sharp!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 9:13 AM

Wow that's a great picture. The new Tom Bradley international looks great. Los Angeles now have a beautiful terminal about time

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Alex View Post
Wow that's a great picture. The new Tom Bradley international looks great. Los Angeles now have a beautiful terminal about time
The old parts of TBIT, which many travelers still have to walk through, still look bad. The news isn't all good.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
The old parts of TBIT, which many travelers still have to walk through, still look bad. The news isn't all good.
It's a start, though. Vast improvements have been made. It takes more than a minute to institute major changes.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 9:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Norwegian Air Shuttle is launching non-stop service between LAX and the three Scandinavian capitals (Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Oslo) using the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner starting next year.

At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with the variety of European destinations we have direct access to from LAX, although I'm irked about Air Berlin terminating the LAX/Tegel route. I realize that we'll never see non-stop service to, say, Barcelona, Vienna, or Prague. LA, unlike NYC, is not that close to the rest of the world (Europe, South America/Caribbean, Africa, and Middle East).

I still would like to see the flights to Dublin, Bogota, and New Delhi resumed eventually. Maybe a direct flight to Buenos Aires?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 12:38 AM

United Plans LAX Facility Modernization

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/...inal-upgrades/

Quote:
United, which operates a hub in Los Angeles, wants to make a series of upgrades, including improving passenger security screening checkpoints, installing a better baggage sorting system, renovating passenger waiting areas, replacing boarding bridges and building a new lounge for premium customers.

The new premium lounge, called the United Club, will be built in Terminal 7. United plans to close its club in Terminal 6, which previously had been a Continental Presidents Club, according to the report. The two airlines recently merged.
Let the speculation begin.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
It would help if they just cleaned the damn thing regularly.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Norwegian Air Shuttle is launching non-stop service between LAX and the three Scandinavian capitals (Stockholm, Copenhagen, and Oslo) using the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner starting next year.

At this point, I'm pretty satisfied with the variety of European destinations we have direct access to from LAX, although I'm irked about Air Berlin terminating the LAX/Tegel route. I realize that we'll never see non-stop service to, say, Barcelona, Vienna, or Prague. LA, unlike NYC, is not that close to the rest of the world (Europe, South America/Caribbean, Africa, and Middle East).

I still would like to see the flights to Dublin, Bogota, and New Delhi resumed eventually. Maybe a direct flight to Buenos Aires?
Yeah, I hear you. But just remember, you guys have non-stops to many great places we don't on the East Coast. LAX is the Pacific Rim King, basically.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 1:32 PM

Another carrier (British Air) has started flying the A380 to LAX, here's it's first arrival-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNK_vRs_afY

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:59 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 10:03 PM
SUSPENDED

fwiw, I had to drop off some friends at LAX yesterday & I noticed the exterior perimeter of the upper deck roadway has been stripped of what originally were large planter boxes, which can be seen in the 'before' photo....

lax.com

^ so far the new lightboxes or panels....& the stylized lights that go on top of them....that are replacing the planters have been installed only in front of the bradley terminal. The rest of the upper roadway's siding is the original plain concrete barricade. So since it's now just barren concrete, a visitor who doesn't know about the upcoming renovation will sense that one aspect of LAX's design looks overly cheap & that something is missing. so I hope the rest of the work is completed asap.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 11:38 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post

By Justin Bachman
August 06, 2013
Bloomberg

"There are more than 50 flights each day between Los Angeles and San Francisco, enough for one every 20 minutes from 6 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Nonetheless, Delta Air Lines (DAL) sees room for more.

The airline made a splash on Aug. 1, when it announced a new hourly shuttle between LA and San Francisco, modeled on the service it operates between New York and Boston, Chicago and Washington. Shuttles are just regular flights with separate, faster check-in counters, a more liberal, 30-minute check-in window, and free in-flight newspapers, wine, and beer. (In California, Delta’s going with Sierra Nevada and Wente, two brands from the state.) The shuttle expansion is part of a push by Delta to boost its share of the market at Los Angeles International, where it’s investing in a new terminal 5 and new clubs, a project that’s expected to be finished in 2015..."

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...or-los-angeles
That's crying for a HSR connection alright.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
That's crying for a HSR connection alright.
It really is. I just wonder if we'll ever see it.

At any rate, Delta is totally committed to L.A., and there is much more in store for the market from them.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 4:06 PM

More international service

The NYT has an article about Etihad Airways, noting that it will begin service to LAX.

"But Mr. Hogan concedes that he would like to expand his foothold in the United States, the world’s biggest passenger market, where Etihad so far has only limited service — to New York, Washington, Chicago and, soon, Los Angeles. Etihad is heavily reliant on its code-share partner, American Airlines..."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 8:01 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Service to another Middle Eastern city will soon be offered out of LAX! The amount of quality international destinations launched here over the past few years is impressive. If Abu Dhabi and Jeddah are possible, then so are Doha, Kuwait City, and Amman. Let's hope it happens soon.

Oh, and I'm also seeing on the LAX Wikipedia page that Norwegian Air Shuttle is launching service to London Gatwick next summer in addition to Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo.

Quote:
Saudi Arabian Airlines, the flag carrier of Saudi Arabia operating as Saudia Airlines, officially launches at LAX in April 2014 with three weekly flights to Jeddah. They will introduce their new Boeing 777-300ERs fleets on the inaugural flight to LAX, featuring a three-class cabin configuration, the first-of-its-type, for tailored costumer service. We’re excited to welcome Saudia Airlines to the LAX family!

Find out more: http://www.saudiairlines.com/portal/...008c0f430aRCRD

What do you think of the livery?

https://www.facebook.com/LAInternationalAirport

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Oct 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation