HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:43 AM

There is supposed to be a new preview for plan revisions up on the site, although the download link doesn't appear to be working at the moment. Looks like they are going to double the park space

lincolnyards.com

Quote:
Lincoln Yards South will now include nearly 3 additional acres of vibrant park space, almost doubling the park space in this area from 3.6 acres to 6.2 acres. This increase in park space will allow for expanded programming, increased flexibility for youth and adult recreational activities, and a wider variety of potential fields for sports such as soccer, baseball, basketball, and tennis, among others.

Last edited by jc5680; Jan 13, 2019 at 3:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 4:41 PM

how are people going to actually transport themselves to these massive parks? drive? this development is going to end up being sterile and desolate - just like the streets of lincoln park.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:09 PM
The City

^ I highly doubt that.

If all of this density comes to fruition, the streets will be congested, not desolate.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:41 PM

I’m pretty sure those parks will be jam packed.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 5:47 PM

There are 5k dwelling units in the development itself.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:04 PM

Yeah this kind of density is going to Totally wreck all automobile access to the North side. Imagine North and Clyborn on Black Friday, but stretching from North to Webster and all the time. Imagine what North and Clyborn itself will look like with basically a whole South Loop skyline added directly to it's North.

Oh and transit? Who needs it! We are right on the Kennedy!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I highly doubt that.

If all of this density comes to fruition, the streets will be congested, not desolate.
I know the streets will be congested - with cars - because they already are. That does not equal the need for a giant park.

Regardless I still dont get it. I dont think you are going to have enough residential density in the actual lincoln yards to support this amount of green space. I think you will find that Bucktown residents will not pass over/under an expressway to get to this park - and I think people in Lincoln Park have better options already.

This whole park idea is really to adress the NIMBYs in lincoln park who in reallity just want the whole thing to be single family homes - which to be honest would acutally unite the current usage of bucktown and lincoln park.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
how are people going to actually transport themselves to these massive parks? drive? this development is going to end up being sterile and desolate - just like the streets of lincoln park.
Bike, walk, river, car, bus, train? Is this a serious question?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
There are 5k dwelling units in the development itself.
The development has now increased to 6k units, according to the Plan Commission agenda.

Quote:
Regardless I still dont get it. I dont think you are going to have enough residential density in the actual lincoln yards to support this amount of green space. I think you will find that Bucktown residents will not pass over/under an expressway to get to this park - and I think people in Lincoln Park have better options already.
This development is going to extremely packed. Assuming a low estimate of 1.5 ppl per unit, that's 9,000 people in this development alone! To give context, that's a 13% increase in Lincoln Park's population within an area that will have a density of about 78,000 ppl/sq mi. If we also figure in the additional daytime population of 23,000 jobs per person, we're talking a density of 278,000 ppl/sq mi!

This is why there needs to be more discussion of transit options. Metra will only be effective if there's minimum 15 min headways, and even then it will only connect the North/Northwest Sides & suburbs. The Lincoln Yards transitway is effectively a downtown shuttle. Armitage Station + buses can only do so much. Unless there is BRT for Ashland & North Ave, I don't see any real way of connecting Lincoln Yards to the rest of the city without something akin to the Circle Line (stop was planned at North/Elston).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:02 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The development has now increased to 6k units, according to the Plan Commission agenda.

This development is going to extremely packed. Assuming a low estimate of 1.5 ppl per unit, that's 9,000 people in this development alone! To give context, that's a 13% increase in Lincoln Park's population within an area that will have a density of about 78,000 ppl/sq mi. If we also figure in the additional daytime population of 23,000 jobs per person, we're talking a density of 278,000 ppl/sq mi!

This is why there needs to be more discussion of transit options. Metra will only be effective if there's minimum 15 min headways, and even then it will only connect the North/Northwest Sides & suburbs. The Lincoln Yards transitway is effectively a downtown shuttle. Armitage Station + buses can only do so much. Unless there is BRT for Ashland & North Ave, I don't see any real way of connecting Lincoln Yards to the rest of the city without something akin to the Circle Line (stop was planned at North/Elston).
The problem with planning for transit expansion is that you might as well plan a trip to Mars

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:37 AM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The problem with planning for transit expansion is that you might as well plan a trip to Mars
^^Which is why we have Elon Musk to fix our world problems!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Bike, walk, river, car, bus, train? Is this a serious question?
The easiest and cheapest way to expand access to this will be to install a water taxi stop. That, and a boat house for kayaks. The Water Taxi already has a stop at North Avenue. Easy-peasy.

The bridge connecting to the 606 will be busy 3 seasons out of the year, too.

A park on the North Branch will be incredibly well utilized even if they build 0 new housing units, let alone 6,000.

I don't understand the questioning behind this, either.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:01 PM

9,000 people are going to use a water taxi?!

Anyway... how many units are in lakeshore east? How “teaming with people” is that park they have? It’s enpty on most days.

Lincoln Park and Bucktown do not need more parks. Both hoods are 95% single family homes with multiple smaller parks that sit empty on most if not all days.

Ever been to Senior Citizens Park in bucktown?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:31 PM
The City

Quote:

Anyway... how many units are in lakeshore east? How “teaming with people” is that park they have? It’s enpty on most days.

Lincoln Park and Bucktown do not need more parks. Both hoods are 95% single family homes with multiple smaller parks that sit empty on most if not all days.

Keep in mind that LSE is still far from fully built out. And it doesn’t have any office space, hence relatively few jobs compared to the thousands of jobs planned for Lincoln Yards

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 3:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:

Lakeshore East Park borders the lake and is a stones throw from the most popular park in the city. This park would be between two nice neighborhoods and right on the river. It is considerably larger than Senior Citizens Park which is connected to the heavily-used Holstein Park.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:

I spent the better part of a decade working at Aon with a view of the LSE park and "empty" isn't how I would characterize it. It was busier on evenings and weekends but still had a decent amount of traffic during the middle of the day (dog walkers, small children using the playground with parents or care-givers, etc).

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:

I love internet forums because you can offer one solution from among many small fixes - like adding more frequent bus service, connecting infrastructure for bikers, etc. - and random people will key in one thing and extrapolate it to be your entire point. A few people might take the Water Taxi as a means of commuting. A lot more people will take the bus to the Red or Blue lines. This isn't that complicated.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 7:56 PM

I think the north park will get some activity with the 606 spilling into it... The south park will be more of a wasteland that no one will really want to walk to.
The same Lincoln Park parents who cried for more park space tend to drive everywhere they go.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I think the north park will get some activity with the 606 spilling into it... The south park will be more of a wasteland that no one will really want to walk to.
The same Lincoln Park parents who cried for more park space tend to drive everywhere they go.
It looks like the south park will be taken up mostly by sports fields, so I don't think it'll be a wasteland. The soccer fields, baseball fields, and tennis courts elsewhere in the city are always being used by various social and children's leagues.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 10:16 PM

SB should really try to get their hands on the Home Depot parcel. That would truly be transformative.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development