HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Yes, I realize he was off-duty and therefore paid by Fry's for his time. I just wonder what, if anything, his presence says about the security needs of the store.
I honestly don't think it means anything, not uncommon to have off duty PD in urban locations. They don't cost much more than armed private security.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I visited the downtown Fry's for the first time today. I'm glad to have a downtown grocery for occasional needs, even though I do most of my regular shopping at Trader Joe's and Sprouts. A few curmudgeonly observations:

-- The self-checkout terminals don't accept Apple Pay (and its Android equivalents). I was astonished since the equipment is all new. Doing a little reading, I've discovered that parent company Kroger is a stubborn holdout when it comes to contactltess payments. Apparently, they have their own system based on QR codes. That strategy hasn't worked out for most other merchants. Target and CVS recently gave in and have started allowing Apple Pay instead of insisting on their own clumsy systems.

-- The layout is a little weird. After using the self-checkout, I thought I'd then be able to exit the store immediately. Instead, I found myself back in the main area of the market and had to retrace my steps to the main entrance.

-- A Phoenix police officer was providing security at the store entrance. I hope they haven't had a lot of shoplifting and vagrancy problems already.

-- On newly reopened First Street, the entire curb on the east side from Jefferson to Washington is assigned to rideshare pickup/dropoff and curbside grocery pickup. It's a shame those functions weren't somehow integrated into the garage. Had they been, there would be enough room for bike lanes on that block of First Street.

-- I heard complaints that the store opened without bike racks, but they've since been added. There were plenty in the honeycomb style used by Downtown Phoenix Inc, near the store entrance.
-I've never noticed the lack of Apple or Samsung Pay as I don't care to use it. But it is strange though that Kroger would not elect to use those. I'm sure they will eventually add it.

-The self-checkout actually does go straight to the exit. You make a left after leaving the lanes and walk between the self-seating tables and the glass windows to the corner entrance door. I imagine this may have been done on purpose. Placing the exit directly in front of the self-checkout lanes may encourage shoplifting since it would be a relatively quick getaway.

-An officer has been on duty since the grande opening. It's unfortunate, but due to the shoplifting issues at CVS, there's no reason to think the issue wouldn't carry over to Fry's. I'd rather have an officer discouraging this than allowing it to happen easily.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:50 PM
METRO: Encanto

Being a regular Fry's customer I had no expectation for ApplePay. I have been able to use it at Basha's, although once about a month ago my attempt to use it literally disabled the cash register.

One nit was that there was a 50¢ fee for cash back on a debit card. I asked the cashier about it who confided that it was the only Fry's location that had that "feature".

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:02 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Being a regular Fry's customer I had no expectation for ApplePay. I have been able to use it at Basha's, although once about a month ago my attempt to use it literally disabled the cash register.

One nit was that there was a 50¢ fee for cash back on a debit card. I asked the cashier about it who confided that it was the only Fry's location that had that "feature".
I guess I've gotten so used to paying with my watch at Trader Joe's and Sprouts, both of which have accepted Apple Pay for years, that it never occurred to me that a major grocery chain wouldn't be on board with NFC standards in 2019.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:12 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I guess I've gotten so used to paying with my watch at Trader Joe's and Sprouts, both of which have accepted Apple Pay for years, that it never occurred to me that a major grocery chain wouldn't be on board with NFC standards in 2019.
Walmart doesn't use Apple Pay either. They have their own system as well.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:37 PM

Please clarify for someone who doesn't use the aforementioned POS systems, are those third party companies linked to your bank accounts? Some of the kids in my office use Venmo and Zelle, I imagine it's a similar system but used through your phone's NFC chip.

If so wouldn't that would be a delightfully easy way to lose all your money and have your bank throw up their arms and say "you shouldn't have allowed access to your accounts through a cell phone"?

Honest question.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 6:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Please clarify for someone who doesn't use the aforementioned POS systems, are those third party companies linked to your bank accounts? Some of the kids in my office use Venmo and Zelle, I imagine it's a similar system but used through your phone's NFC chip.

If so wouldn't that would be a delightfully easy way to lose all your money and have your bank throw up their arms and say "you shouldn't have allowed access to your accounts through a cell phone"?

Honest question.
Apple Pay is set up with a card of your choosing. Almost any Visa, MasterCard, or Amex product in your wallet is compatible with Apple Pay. It would be linked to your bank account only if that card is a debit card. Even then, most merchants allow the customer to choose if the payment is processed as credit or debit. Venmo and Zelle, on the other hand, are linked directly to bank accounts and therefore don't go through merchant systems designed for credit card processing.

While nothing is 100% secure, I feel a lot better tapping my watch against a terminal than handing over a card to someone, especially when that person is handling my payment out of my sight. That's why I wish more restaurants in this country would adopt the practice of payment at the table. In Europe and Canada, I've been able to tap my watch against a portable device held by the server rather than waiting for the server to take the card and bring it back a few minutes later. Sadly, the only local place I know that does that is Bitter & Twisted.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:18 PM

I understand the point about someone processing a card payment out of your sight, but in those instances you can always call the bank and report the fraud. If there's a third party involved, like Apple, I wonder if they would be as responsive.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
I understand the point about someone processing a card payment out of your sight, but in those instances you can always call the bank and report the fraud. If there's a third party involved, like Apple, I wonder if they would be as responsive.
Do the homeless have accessibility to the restrooms on-site? Does Fry's secure the restrooms?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 7:58 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
In the event of fraud, you'd deal directly with the issuing bank and the responsiveness should be the same as if you were using the physical card. Here's a good primer on Apply Pay security:

https://creditcards.usnews.com/artic...apple-pay-safe

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 9:58 PM

People actually use Apple Pay?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:01 PM

Why wouldn't we?

More secure than mag stripe and chip + pin/sign. And *most* of the time, it's more convenient and faster.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:12 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
People actually use Apple Pay?
Almost every day, and when all other factors are equal, Apple Pay acceptance will tip the balance in favor of one merchant over another. For example, if I need to fuel the car, and there are two gas stations on the same corner, I'll choose the one with modern pumps that accept Apple Pay.

That said, I'm consistently amazed at the number of people I see in checkout lines wearing Apple watches but engaging in the archaic ritual of pulling a wallet out of their pockets, taking a card out of their wallets, inserting it into a terminal, and then waiting for it to be returned.

I'm usually very patient and comfortable with a slow pace. There's something about check-out lines, though, that makes me curse inefficiency. I used to become impatient with people writing checks at the supermarket. Thankfully, almost no one does that anymore. Instead, I gripe about the card inserters.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Almost every day, and when all other factors are equal, Apple Pay acceptance will tip the balance in favor of one merchant over another. For example, if I need to fuel the car, and there are two gas stations on the same corner, I'll choose the one with modern pumps that accept Apple Pay.

That said, I'm consistently amazed at the number of people I see in checkout lines wearing Apple watches but engaging in the archaic ritual of pulling a wallet out of their pockets, taking a card out of their wallets, inserting it into a terminal, and then waiting for it to be returned.

I'm usually very patient and comfortable with a slow pace. There's something about check-out lines, though, that makes me curse inefficiency. I used to become impatient with people writing checks at the supermarket. Thankfully, almost no one does that anymore. Instead, I gripe about the card inserters.
LOL i'm the same way. I was so happy when Costco finally started doing mobile payments (i.e., Apple Pay) and can't wait for the gas pumps to be activated. If you look closely, the hardware/NFC readers are already in place.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:28 PM
Modulator

Quote:
it takes me all of 10 seconds to do that.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 10:38 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
it takes me all of 10 seconds to do that.
I promise only the slightest tinge of frustration if I'm ever behind you in a line. My death stare is reserved for people who can't even find the card they want to pay with.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:15 PM
METRO: Encanto

Try shopping in the daytime on the first Wednesday of the month when Fry's. Basha's, Safeway and Albertson's have the senior discount. I've gotten behind people writing checks.

I have no interest in having an Apple watch, I abandoned watches when I got a phone. Taking my phone out and using Apple Pay is about the same amount of effort as using a card. As such I wasn't aware that Costco, Sprouts, Trader Joe's and some gas stations accepted Apple Pay. I'll have to remember that. I've used it mostly at Basha's, Staples, Best Buy and (if I remember correctly) All About Books and Comics.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:22 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Try shopping in the daytime on the first Wednesday of the month when Fry's. Basha's, Safeway and Albertson's have the senior discount. I've gotten behind people writing checks.

I have no interest in having an Apple watch, I abandoned watches when I got a phone. Taking my phone out and using Apple Pay is about the same amount of effort as using a card. As such I wasn't aware that Costco, Sprouts, Trader Joe's and some gas stations accepted Apple Pay. I'll have to remember that. I've used it mostly at Basha's, Staples, Best Buy and (if I remember correctly) All About Books and Comics.
That sounds scary. I sometimes go to Sprouts on Wednesdays because sale prices from the week ending overlap with new promotions for the week beginning. Thankfully, I don't see any check writing there.

I agree that when it's phone vs. wallet, there's not all that much advantage to mobile payments. It's use of an Apple watch that makes Apple Pay so much faster and more convenient.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I visited the downtown Fry's for the first time today. I'm glad to have a downtown grocery for occasional needs, even though I do most of my regular shopping at Trader Joe's and Sprouts. A few curmudgeonly observations:

-- The self-checkout terminals don't accept Apple Pay (and its Android equivalents). I was astonished since the equipment is all new. Doing a little reading, I've discovered that parent company Kroger is a stubborn holdout when it comes to contactltess payments. Apparently, they have their own system based on QR codes. That strategy hasn't worked out for most other merchants. Target and CVS recently gave in and have started allowing Apple Pay instead of insisting on their own clumsy systems.

-- The layout is a little weird. After using the self-checkout, I thought I'd then be able to exit the store immediately. Instead, I found myself back in the main area of the market and had to retrace my steps to the main entrance.

-- A Phoenix police officer was providing security at the store entrance. I hope they haven't had a lot of shoplifting and vagrancy problems already.

-- On newly reopened First Street, the entire curb on the east side from Jefferson to Washington is assigned to rideshare pickup/dropoff and curbside grocery pickup. It's a shame those functions weren't somehow integrated into the garage. Had they been, there would be enough room for bike lanes on that block of First Street.

-- I heard complaints that the store opened without bike racks, but they've since been added. There were plenty in the honeycomb style used by Downtown Phoenix Inc, near the store entrance.
I used Samsung pay there yesterday as I do at the Fry's, by me in Tempe, Sprouts, Trader's Joe's, CVS among other stores.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoPhoenician View Post
I used Samsung pay there yesterday as I do at the Fry's, by me in Tempe, Sprouts, Trader's Joe's, CVS among other stores.
I've also used Samsung Pay there as well as at Walmart, Albertsons, Costco, Safeway, etc. In fact, some cashiers will ask me if it's Apple Pay or Samsung since not all of them take the former.

As far as security goes, it's my understanding that a one time code is generated for that specific transaction, whether you use your watch or phone. Even if someone managed to capture it somehow, it wouldn't work again and doesn't contain your actual credit/debit card information.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest