HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:37 AM
Chicago

1020 W Randolph

July 22, 2021

January 31, 2022

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
hadn't seen 732 W Randolph before - this a sharp slice of infill development - and looks to take up almost the entire lot

from Curbed
Yeah I'm very interested to see how this one turns out.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 2:33 PM

speaking of signs....

remember when rahm added those digital billboards along the Kennedy (90/94) to balance the city budget - people flipped their sh*t

remember when trump added the sign to his hotel - people still flip their sh*t

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 2:38 PM
BANNED

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/m...ned-629-w-lake

new infill project just dropped, great parking ratio but those balconies are awful. everything else look good.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post

new infill project just dropped, great parking ratio but those balconies are awful. everything else look good.
interesting

I thought the city recently started to really pushed back on balconies over the public sidewalk

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 4:37 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post

Is veneer face brick like this just mortared to the precast panel like a tile would be or is there also some kind of mechanical fastener?

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 6:24 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Is veneer face brick like this just mortared to the precast panel like a tile would be or is there also some kind of mechanical fastener?
For this kind of system, it's probably just mortar. Concrete and brick expand and contract at similar rates, so you don't need to have a complicated connection between the two. Any minor expansion/contraction gets handled at the control joints between panels.

If you're doing thin brick over a wood frame building, plywood substrate or other system where you need a lot of tolerance for flex and movement, you can use a metal panel system that has some mechanical action. These are all proprietary systems.
e.g. https://brickit.com/systems/systems-dmg

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 7:27 PM
Chicago

1220 W Jackson

December 23, 2019

Old Posted Feb 1, 2022, 11:59 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Very interesting. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
hadn't seen 732 W Randolph before - this a sharp slice of infill development - and looks to take up almost the entire lot
Tower crane permits were issued yesterday. It's 126 ft tall, so highrise height despite being only 8 stories

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 4:56 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
interesting

I thought the city recently started to really pushed back on balconies over the public sidewalk
This is very similar to the project at the Santorini site at Halsted/Adams. Also designed by Axios. That one also has bay windows hanging over the sidewalk in addition to a grid of basket balconies.

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/d...ed-812-w-adams

Maybe the developers did the math and figured out that the city is underpricing these air rights? Typically public way uses are at the discretion of BACP, who provides a recommendation to City Council. Usually it's a rubber stamp. However, these are subject to City Council approval just like any public way encroachment so hopefully the Council slaps them back.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 5:32 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post

Wow, so nice to see that site developed.

I don't know, nothing wrong with balconies over the sidewalk. Definitely better than a parking podium. "Eyes on the street"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Wow, so nice to see that site developed.

I don't know, nothing wrong with balconies over the sidewalk. Definitely better than a parking podium. "Eyes on the street"
Sometimes I see these developments with hundreds of individual balconies packed tightly to the sides of the building and I imagine that the architect just really loves the cast iron balconies of New Orleans' french quarter and can't let go of trying to incorporate some approximation of that in their designs no matter how much it doesn't fit with the building.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:09 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

^I'd wager a guess it has much more to do with pressure from the developer because balconies are, unfortunately for the aesthetics of most modern buildings, a selling point that buyers seem to want (but rarely use, you know, like a stainless steel warming drawer).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:25 PM

Quote:
^I'd wager a guess it has much more to do with pressure from the developer because balconies are, unfortunately for the aesthetics of most modern buildings, a selling point that buyers seem to want (but rarely use, you know, like a stainless steel warming drawer).
I think the ideal setup for a building like this is a shared roof deck with a couple 'private' areas carved out that residents can reserve. Though psychologically buyers seem to want that dedicated outdoor space, however unused it goes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 7:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Sometimes I see these developments with hundreds of individual balconies packed tightly to the sides of the building and I imagine that the architect just really loves the cast iron balconies of New Orleans' french quarter and can't let go of trying to incorporate some approximation of that in their designs no matter how much it doesn't fit with the building.
Given the heavily Greek-leaning staff at Axios, and the developers who are likely Greek, I'm guessing the inspiration is more likely the polykatoikia of Athens. Although the expression of those two Chicago buildings is tailored to steel construction and cold-climate energy codes, rather than the concrete and masonry of Greek cities...

I wouldn't mind it if the balconies were more expressive like those on Aqua, but these are just so god-awful...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 8:06 PM

Steel balconies are like modern day fire escapes to me in their appearance. I like how people customize these spaces to create visual noise

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Given the heavily Greek-leaning staff at Axios, and the developers who are likely Greek, I'm guessing the inspiration is more likely the polykatoikia of Athens. Although the expression of those two Chicago buildings is tailored to steel construction and cold-climate energy codes, rather than the concrete and masonry of Greek cities...

I wouldn't mind it if the balconies were more expressive like those on Aqua, but these are just so god-awful...
They just seem like a tacked on after thought with a lot of developments in Chicago. I wish they were more thought out.. perhaps thought about more wholistically. I mean part of what people appreciate about the best New Orleans balconies for example is that they aren't just added space for a resident or business they are also often designed low enough and wide enough to offer a signifcant amount of shade / shelter and street lighting for pedestrians.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 9:03 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

I wish we saw more of the European housing estate practice of having a balcony-like room, sort of a cross between a balcony and three season sun-room, within the exterior envelope of the building but with glazing, albeit less thermally robust with sliding or crank out sashes and then the thermal window and door in the wall between the outdoor room and the living space. I hate the look of a gangplank slab balcony.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 10:38 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
I wish we saw more of the European housing estate practice of having a balcony-like room, sort of a cross between a balcony and three season sun-room, within the exterior envelope of the building but with glazing, albeit less thermally robust with sliding or crank out sashes and then the thermal window and door in the wall between the outdoor room and the living space. I hate the look of a gangplank slab balcony.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4340...7i13312!8i6656 this is what I'm thinking of when you say that, but you probably mean something different

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development