HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:38 PM

what is impressive I think is that most of this was vacant lot development either used for weeds, parking, or used car lots which have mostly disappeared from western ave

I cant wait until the armitage & western apt project gets moving and the lazo's properties are still listed for sale for $5 million on loopnet

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 10:56 PM

Another step towards cohesiveness for Near West side/IMD?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ining-facility

Quote:
Chicago Fire FC owner Joe Mansueto is working with city officials on a deal to build a massive training center and team headquarters on the Near West Side, pivoting from a recently scrapped plan to develop the project in the Belmont Cragin neighborhood.

The Major League Soccer team and Mayor Lori Lightfoot today announced "preliminary discussions" are underway for the team to develop the sprawling facility on 30 acres of vacant Chicago Housing Authority land in the Roosevelt Square neighborhood, immediately south of the Illinois Medical District. The proposal calls for the $90 million project—including several soccer fields and a three-story, 90,000-square-foot performance center—to be built in what is now Addams/Medill Park, a site generally bounded by Roosevelt Road, Ashland Avenue and Loomis and 14th streets.
That's an area begging for some kind of infusion.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:55 PM

Saw a red crane going up 160 Elizabeth (I think). Also noticed soil testing at the Ryder Truck lot in Fulton.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Saw a red crane going up 160 Elizabeth (I think). Also noticed soil testing at the Ryder Truck lot in Fulton.

The Ryder Truck lot should be for 1112 W Carroll I think. 33 Floor 370' mixed use mostly residential.

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...N_PROGRESS.pdf

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the St Anthony Focal Point project got final city council approval yesterday. demo on the site kicked off this week.
I would absolutely love to redevelop the current st Anthony's site...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Another step towards cohesiveness for Near West side/IMD?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ining-facility

That's an area begging for some kind of infusion.
this is great to see for this specific area and in relation to the previous proposal on the NW side that was run over by the community groups and likely the teachers union (otherwise known as the shadow city government)

in regards to the new location's site plan, the only thing that I dont like is that the properties facing Ashland and Roosevelt are not included and are very run down. perhaps manseuto will use some of his billions to buy out those properties for rehab or redevelopment...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
in regards to the new location's site plan, the only thing that I dont like is that the properties facing Ashland and Roosevelt are not included and are very run down. perhaps manseuto will use some of his billions to buy out those properties for rehab or redevelopment...
Those properties, esp Roosevelt Rd will not be hard to acquire. Most are vacant lots and bldgs.

This is a great project for the UIC/IMD tweener neighborhood. Filling in a large gap of dilapidated parks and vacant lots with an active use high quality Professional soccer training facilities and certainly some new park/play space for park district youth programs.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I would absolutely love to redevelop the current st Anthony's site...
im just glad theyre not tearing it down. im also glad St Anthony apparently managed to survive the pandemic, because it seemed pretty touch and go there for a minute.

ive never been inside but im guessing despite its age it probably lacks a lot of the cool touches that managed to survive with County. senior housing makes a lot of sense even if its not the most exciting thing, and its already set up in such a way to easily accommodate assisted care

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
im just glad theyre not tearing it down. im also glad St Anthony apparently managed to survive the pandemic, because it seemed pretty touch and go there for a minute.

ive never been inside but im guessing despite its age it probably lacks a lot of the cool touches that managed to survive with County. senior housing makes a lot of sense even if its not the most exciting thing, and its already set up in such a way to easily accommodate assisted care
Did they say what they are going to do with it?

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:44 PM

yeah, senior housing is confirmed i believe, or thats the intention

Quote:
St. Anthony would build a 12-story, 151-bed hospital. The number of beds is the same as at the existing hospital at 2875 W. 19th St. Guy Medaglia, St. Anthony president, said he is talking to operators interested in using that building for senior residences.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...village-zoning

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 28, 2022 at 5:00 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 5:04 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
this is great to see for this specific area and in relation to the previous proposal on the NW side that was run over by the community groups and likely the teachers union (otherwise known as the shadow city government)

Well, hopefully the properties along Ashland and Roosevelt can be developed as midrises similar to the current phase of Roosevelt Square (link below).

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/03...ide-neighbors/

I will make sure to appear at the meetings for this thing as I am a neighbor. It sucks to have another huge, low-density land use here after building Costco and the stupid helipad, and the huge sports campuses for UIC and St Ignatius also. Can't we just build a new neighborhood there? But hopefully at least the soccer complex could be ringed by midrise development on the arterials and strong pedestrian connections through the site.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:39 PM
1st Ward

Hopefully St. Anthony's is preserved. Its a gem of a building, and has a highly visible location across the street from Douglass Park.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 3:53 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Hopefully St. Anthony's is preserved. Its a gem of a building, and has a highly visible location across the street from Douglass Park.
I'd be surprised if it wasn't saved. It's a reasonably well-maintained building and it's on a slender, odd-shaped piece of land. I'm sure it needs some work but I doubt there is major water damage, etc so it seems like a great candidate for re-use. If they want, they could seek historic tax credits and/or landmark designation which can help developers land financing for projects in this kind of transitional area.

Plus it's orange-rated and it's in a PD, so the community has 90 days advance notice of a demolition and the alderman has leverage to demand preservation.

Hopefully they can redevelop the parking lot as well - it sits right next to the Pink Line California stop so they don't need nearly that much parking for a housing conversion, unless it's assisted living and they need parking for staff. They should also return the parking lot on Marshall Blvd back to being parkland...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 8:18 PM

Yeah I won't allow that building to be demolished. I will buy it and redevelop it before anyone gets to the point of demolishing it.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 11:19 PM
BANNED

The area surrounding the belmont stop on the blue line in Avondale needs some bulldozing. No reason why a bunch of single story commercial buildings, large parking lots, and a damn gas station should be right next to a renovated, beautiful train station.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9393...8i8192!5m1!1e2

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 11:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
The area surrounding the belmont stop on the blue line in Avondale needs some bulldozing. No reason why a bunch of single story commercial buildings, large parking lots, and a damn gas station should be right next to a renovated, beautiful train station.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9393...8i8192!5m1!1e2
also, which completely ass-hatted moron at city hall allowed the Aldi/5 Below shopping plaza to front its loading docks and dumpsters directly onto Kimball avenue?

a sane city would make site-planning like that so illegal that no one would even dare propose such complete and utter shit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9397...8i8192!5m1!1e2

but yeah, that whole nexus of crap around belmont blue would be well served by a well dropped 500 pound bomb.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 12:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
also, which completely ass-hatted moron at city hall allowed the Aldi/5 Below shopping plaza to front its loading docks and dumpsters directly onto Kimball avenue?

a sane city would make site-planning like that so illegal that no one would even dare propose such complete and utter shit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9397...8i8192!5m1!1e2

but yeah, that whole nexus of crap around belmont blue would be well served by a well dropped 500 pound bomb.
yikes didn't even notice that...area looks like Houston

I wonder when that avondale area will pick up some development and gentrify. great housing stock, relatively safe, and right next to a renovated station, yet the area looks like a dump... and we all know gentrification in Chicago follows train lines (with the exceptions of humboldt park...)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 2:30 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
yikes didn't even notice that...area looks like Houston

I wonder when that avondale area will pick up some development and gentrify. great housing stock, relatively safe, and right next to a renovated station, yet the area looks like a dump... and we all know gentrification in Chicago follows train lines (with the exceptions of humboldt park...)
There is quite a bit of infill between Kimball and a few blocks west of Pulaski on Belmont. I agree that the direct surroundings around the Blue Line station are terrible, but there are many nearby projects that should help change things.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 2:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
There is quite a bit of infill between Kimball and a few blocks west of Pulaski on Belmont. I agree that the direct surroundings around the Blue Line station are terrible, but there are many nearby projects that should help change things.

Aaron (Glowrock)
As an Avondale resident, could you point out any notable projects coming up or under construction right now? Or even just completed, would love to see this area get spruced up.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 2:58 AM
The City

Quote:
As an Avondale resident, could you point out any notable projects coming up or under construction right now? Or even just completed, would love to see this area get spruced up.
Shouldn’t you be pointing those out to us, as an “Avondale resident”?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development