HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:05 PM

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:09 PM

The only way this works is if it's patrolled incessantly by WPS for the first few years. If it's safe and desirable, I'm sure you'll find the adjacent areas gentrify alleviating safety concerns. It's certainly ambitious and it could be cool but I think the first thing that needs to happen is that Point Douglas needs to be densofied and cleaned up. Noone will use this park if the center/focal point of it is a warren of crime.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 9:46 PM

Lol Jean Trottier that’s my old prof at U of M, and I don’t say this word very liberally but dude is a genius when it comes to urbanism. He’s been talking about this project since the middle of last year. I’m glad things are chugging along and excited to see the direction it takes. The density will be a nice supplement for rapid transit.

If it was anyone else heading the project I would be worried but I have 100% faith that he’ll deliver. I’m glad to see the frenchie getting back to work in the field

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 11:16 PM

Never mind

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; May 29, 2024 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:08 AM

I'm reminded of this proposal. I like the Little Forks idea way more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...eiled-1.705780

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:29 AM

Does anyone know if one is paid for stat holidays in Manitoba, if they have not worked 30 days?

BTW...I was in the exchange district, and I observed a movie being shot on Albert street, north of McDermid. I was not thinking as I wandered near the scene, and not really thinking, took out my cell, and shot a video. A person on the srt in the background told me to put it away, so I did.

They were shooting EMT's loading a person into an ambulance, where the alley is behind the art studio where the street runs into Arthur.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:41 AM

I'm forever the optimist. I can envision some really cool connections from the forks along waterfront towards the Little Forks.

It makes a RT route through their a lot more attractive.

There was an article in the papers last week outlining how the city wants to focus on a Point Douglas revitalization. Sounds like you have the City and possibly the Feds interested in doing this. If the province can get on board this could be massive for this city.

Imagine trails like they have along the river from the Leg to the forks...continuing all the way to St. Johns Park.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

It's about time we protected our riverbanks. I still can't believe they are building two bridges across the Seine (warde and shorehill) within 500m of eath other.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o yea this will tie in very well with the brown rudford redevelopment thats planned

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
o yea this will tie in very well with the brown rudford redevelopment thats planned
Brown Rudford?

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Brown Rudford?
I was wondering the same thing. However, my curiosity has arisen...

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. However, my curiosity has arisen...
Does 1ajs have an inside scoop we aren't tracking haha

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:03 AM

It's the Brown & Rutherford building, 5 Sutherland. It's being redeveloped by the same people as 90 Annabella. I only know because they were doing tours of 90 Annabella during Doors Open last weekend and the guy doing the tour was the building owner (Norman Nikkel), he mentioned the B&R project as his next.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:07 AM

If this huge stretch of reclaimed land, riverbank, and existing parks (from the Seine all the way to Munson Park) became a national park, does that mean that all the maintenance would be taken over by Parks Canada?

I'm thinking about the PC-owned portions of the Forks, where their parts of the parks and river trail systems always seem to be closed long after the Forks-managed parts are open.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I'm thinking about the PC-owned portions of the Forks, where their parts of the parks and river trail systems always seem to be closed long after the Forks-managed parts are open.
The Forks Market has a financial incentive to make their space as attractive as possible to draw people in. So they'll keep their spaces well managed.

Whichever level of government ends up managing this park won't have that pressure to manage a for-profit space, much like Parks Canada doesn't with the existing riverfront trails.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 1:42 PM

this is fantastic in my opinion, trails that have lights from one end of city to the other. multiple community groups working together. park canada, gary doer, etc etc. too much of our river was industrial, needs to change. Seine river along archibals is so gross, lots opportunity for urban parks

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:13 PM

I'm interested to see how they go about cleaning up the site. The riverbank on the entire perimeter of the Gateway property was reinforced at some point (possibly after the 1950 flood) with Insul-Bric, the fake brick asphalt siding. It's between 6 and 10 feet deep. It would be quite the project to get rid of that.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:16 PM

The park plan sounds great. I was in Des Moines recently and was really impressed by their Water Works Park, and the network of parks along their riverfront, parts groomed and family friendly, other parts wild and natural.

The difficulty will always be maintenance, right? The Forks is our city's gem, but the riverwalk is in a pretty rough state these days, and that's when it's not underwater (as it is right now). The benches and lighting are completely gone. The amphitheatre just off Assiniboine looks like a ruin. There is overgrowth and mud everywhere. We have to do better.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:57 PM
keep the good times going

I was a part of the research team for this project. Jean is a great guy.

I am very excited that it is public now! This is just the beginning of a long process of collaboration, but I am full of optimism that it will happen in the long term.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
I'm interested to see how they go about cleaning up the site. The riverbank on the entire perimeter of the Gateway property was reinforced at some point (possibly after the 1950 flood) with Insul-Bric, the fake brick asphalt siding. It's between 6 and 10 feet deep. It would be quite the project to get rid of that.
Interesting. Didn't realize this material was manufactured here in Winnipeg.

I found a bit of information about Insul-Bric here: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/glossary/insulbric.shtml

It will be interested to see what's involved in cleaning up that Gateway site. Whatever happens, I'm sure the owner won't pay for any it, and the government will give him a bunch of money to buy the property to boot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan