HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Hey Man/Woman keep posting, its good to have different voices in the forum threads, some stuff does get missed every week when it comes to new development due to how much is going on and how busy everyone is, so don't feel afraid to post.
Thanks for the encouragement! I (Male 😁) will keep posting. I've been checking these boards faithfully for 16 years and its amazing how far the city has come since then. Also amazing the amount of info everyone provides on here!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 11:55 AM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaz View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I (Male 😁) will keep posting. I've been checking these boards faithfully for 16 years and its amazing how far the city has come since then. Also amazing the amount of info everyone provides on here!
Stick around!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:51 PM

Forgive me if I missed some old news, but on my walk home last night (in East Passyunk area) I noticed one of the center city high rises had an illuminated "Tower" sign on top. I'm assuming that's for Tower Health, but has that always been there and I've somehow never noticed? Also, which building is it? Couldn't tell from my vantage point. I suppose it could also be a case of obsessive labeling, like if they put a "Supertall" sign on CTC.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
Forgive me if I missed some old news, but on my walk home last night (in East Passyunk area) I noticed one of the center city high rises had an illuminated "Tower" sign on top. I'm assuming that's for Tower Health, but has that always been there and I've somehow never noticed? Also, which building is it? Couldn't tell from my vantage point. I suppose it could also be a case of obsessive labeling, like if they put a "Supertall" sign on CTC.
It's the broad and washington cranes.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:05 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It's the broad and washington cranes.
I don’t think tbats what I’m referring to, unless there’s a huge illuminated sign that literally says “tower” on the top of the crane. From my vantage point it looked like on top of a high rise - kinda like how the WSFS sign is on that building and the Jefferson sign is on theirs.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 11:28 PM

No, he's correct. They're the cranes for 1001 South Broad Street, you can see them in my article linked above

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
I don’t think tbats what I’m referring to, unless there’s a huge illuminated sign that literally says “tower” on the top of the crane. From my vantage point it looked like on top of a high rise - kinda like how the WSFS sign is on that building and the Jefferson sign is on theirs.
I’m assuming “Tower” = Tower Investments (the development company)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 6:57 PM

Is 1001 South Broad a new project ?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I’m assuming “Tower” = Tower Investments (the development company)
That makes sense. I'll give it another look later but I'm sure you're all right.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 1:46 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skang View Post
Is 1001 South Broad a new project ?
Well, the discussion thread for 1001 South Broad was begun almost 8 years ago: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=214349

But there was another proposal for the site by a different developer maybe a decade or so earlier.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 2:47 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Well, the discussion thread for 1001 South Broad was begun almost 8 years ago: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=214349

But there was another proposal for the site by a different developer maybe a decade or so earlier.
oh ok , so the other proposal is it a tower or a low rise building ?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 4:04 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 6:26 AM

^ Tony, your talent is astounding. Thanks very much for sharing it here.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 7:26 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skang View Post
oh ok , so the other proposal is it a tower or a low rise building ?
Towers in previous proposals from Blatstein and from a previous would-be developer c. 2007, Rimas Properties. But even before that there was a proposal c. 1999 from Will Smith and his brother to build a studio and entertainment complex on the 1001 S. Broad site. In support of that proposal, the City through PAID (Philadelphia Authority for Industrial Development) was going to pay $4.5M to a Holt-related entity for the property. See these Daily News clippings:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/8491...uild-at-broad/

Apparently that sale didn’t go through, as I find in zoning docs in 2003 that Broad & Washington Corp., headed by Leo A. Holt, still owned the property at that time.

A little about the Rimas Properties proposal here:
Excerpts:
The project would include 860 apartments and condominiums, 30 to 50 retail stores, and 1,500 parking spaces on about 5.5 acres. Plans include an open green space that sits six stories high atop the mall.

Ronald Patterson, the attorney representing developer Samir Benakmoume and his company, Rimas Properties, said the [2] towers were originally planned for 59 stories but were reduced to 31 in negotiations with the community.

Other than this project, which came to naught, Rimas Properties is best known for a condo project at 1352 South St, where they built a wider than allowed ramp along the length of the building, leaving a very narrow sidewalk. Through legal action by the City, they were eventually required to cut about a foot off the width. See here: http://changingskyline.blogspot.com/...destrians.html

Last edited by Jayfar; Aug 29, 2022 at 8:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Towers in previous proposals from Blatstein and from a previous would-be developer c. 2007, Rimas Properties. But even before that there was a proposal c. 1999 from Will Smith and his brother to build a studio and entertainment complex on the 1001 S. Broad site. In support of that proposal, the City through PAID (Philadelphia Authority for Industrial Development) was going to pay $4.5M to a Holt-related entity for the property. See these Daily News clippings:

Apparently that sale didn’t go through, as I find in zoning docs in 2003 that Broad & Washington Corp., headed by Leo A. Holt, still owned the property at that time.

A little about the Rimas Properties proposal here:
Excerpts:
The project would include 860 apartments and condominiums, 30 to 50 retail stores, and 1,500 parking spaces on about 5.5 acres. Plans include an open green space that sits six stories high atop the mall.

Ronald Patterson, the attorney representing developer Samir Benakmoume and his company, Rimas Properties, said the [2] towers were originally planned for 59 stories but were reduced to 31 in negotiations with the community.

Other than this project, which came to naught, Rimas Properties is best known for a condo project at 1352 South St, where they built a wider than allowed ramp along the length of the building, leaving a very narrow sidewalk. Through legal action by the City, they were eventually required to cut about a foot off the width. See here: http://changingskyline.blogspot.com/...destrians.html
Awesome breakdown thanks for the update,hopefully that project from 2007 goes up

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:

It's easy to focus on the big buildings downtown, but truly imo, it's the re-densification of lower north philadelphia that is pushing Philadelphia's urban form to new levels. I cannot wait to see the Spring Garden / Callowhill developments start to get going given how big the 5th and Spring Garden building looks in that photo.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It's easy to focus on the big buildings downtown, but truly imo, it's the re-densification of lower north philadelphia that is pushing Philadelphia's urban form to new levels. I cannot wait to see the Spring Garden / Callowhill developments start to get going given how big the 5th and Spring Garden building looks in that photo.
I absolutely agree. It's astounding.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 12:59 PM
Philly Pholly

Really exceptional set!
Really enjoyed them, thank you Tony!

Quote:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations