HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGNR7 View Post
Rio Nuevo has early concept renderings of the AC Hotel up on the their website. Check em' out!

http://rionuevo.org/wp-content/uploa...Renderings.pdf
You guys better keep the design this way! i don't want to hear about budget issues turning this into a Red Roof Inn style tire fire!

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSGNR7 View Post
Rio Nuevo has early concept renderings of the AC Hotel up on the their website. Check em' out!

http://rionuevo.org/wp-content/uploa...Renderings.pdf
Great find!

Old Posted May 24, 2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
The 8 story hotel is another good DENSITY project with a much needed use...hotel. The interior design and modern look looks cool, but the box shape is a little too much like Cadence.

I'm still waiting for that SKYLINE changing project. I'll definitely take 20 stories, but I like the stepping stones and direction that downtown has made and a 10-15 story mid-rise, much like the student housing at the Main Gate overlay would be a good start.
It's a nice sight to see ultra modern high rises lumped together. Tucson never had a real skyline so it has a chance to be different. We can have those 'historic' neighborhoods scattered with modern high rises lumped in the middle and modern mid-rise buildings spread to the rest of central Tucson (hopefully beyond that ... anything that would destroy those cheap looking strip malls built by sleazy developers)

Btw, this would be nice right by the edge of Saguaro National Park

This is new. Rotating tower. I'd like to see this built downtown

Some of these modern skyscrapers are down right ugly but here's a link

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 8:34 AM

Steller: New vision could give Tucson its own central park

I like Brockert's idea of getting rid of the golf course at Reid Park. Never liked the sport of golf, it takes a lot of space with only a handful of people that could enjoy it. We could have mid to high rise buildings around it. And hopefully, the new owner of El Con mall would do a facade renovation of it's buildings (Art Deco, Spanish Revival, Beaux Arts ... ). That could also be a good spot for a giant ferris wheel and merry go round.

It's also a nice spot for an Eiffel Tower

btw, we know that it's walkable from downtown to U of A via 4th ave/University. It's also walkable from U of A to El Con Mall via 3rd st.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
Steller: New vision could give Tucson its own central park

I like Brockert's idea of getting rid of the golf course at Reid Park. Never liked the sport of golf, it takes a lot of space with only a handful of people that could enjoy it. We could have mid to high rise buildings around it. And hopefully, the new owner of El Con mall would do a facade renovation of it's buildings (Art Deco, Spanish Revival, Beaux Arts ... ). That could also be a good spot for a giant ferris wheel and merry go round.

It's also a nice spot for an Eiffel Tower

btw, we know that it's walkable from downtown to U of A via 4th ave/University. It's also walkable from U of A to El Con Mall via 3rd st.
Please move to Paris. How many post have you made without a pic of the Eiffel Tower?
As for the park idea, I'm all for it. I played golf there growing up, and it is nothing to brag about. A mid-town golf course may have put Tucson on the tourist map in the 50's, but unless someone is going to build a contemporary course, Randolph is no different from a drive-in theater or a bowling alley (although having a place to hit a bucket of balls midtown is a fantastic way to burn off steam).

A lot of money is going to say golf should be preserved for future generations, and Randolph is sort of a poster child for how that works. I think it was $3 golf-till-you-drop for minors in the summer months when adults wouldn't dare step outside. I almost hope the compromise is what happens because I think there is value there... just not 350 acres worth.

Old Posted May 25, 2014, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
World's best new skyscraper is ...

Not one U.S. city made the list.
I feel for your pain , my friend .

Old Posted May 26, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Fitting avatar

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Don't lose your faith in America yet. Just wait for 2018 when we complete the Hudson Yards (Hudson Spire), World Trade Centers, The Wilshire Grand, One Bayfront Plaza, Skyrise, Transbay terminal and hopefully the Chicago Spire.Things have never looked better for US skyscrapers. Our most recognizable skylines are going to be unrecognizable in a few years. In four years we'll have every spot on that list. Happy Memorial Day

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Don't lose your faith in America yet. Just wait for 2018 when we complete the Hudson Yards (Hudson Spire), World Trade Centers, The Wilshire Grand, One Bayfront Plaza, Skyrise, Transbay terminal and hopefully the Chicago Spire.Things have never looked better for US skyscrapers. Our most recognizable skylines are going to be unrecognizable in a few years. In four years we'll have every spot on that list. Happy Memorial Day
Chicago Spire would be worthy in that list of best skyscraper. It's unique. Hopefully it gets built. What the US need is it's own iconic free standing tower. China, France, Japan, Canada etc.. has one. We may have the Space Needle but NYC, L.A. and Chicago should have one ... you know something like this:

Here's the Facebook page to expand Reid Park . I think this will go through. Not against golf courses but there's just too many for this city in the desert. And Happy Memorial Day.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 11:31 PM

Can't wait for this to be done!

22nd Street & Kino Parkway: 05-27-14

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 5:56 AM

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 6:36 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

In the May 20th Action Summary of the Council Meeting, the downtown entertainment district was approved to make it easier to get a liquor license being within 300 feet of a school or church within those boundaries. Check out the May 20th action summary to see the docs.

Tucson Meetings

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 9:34 AM

The proposed AC hotel downtown looks nice but hopefully the next set of buildings would look like this . It's much more appealing to see modern futuristic buildings lumped with 'historic' neighborhoods and mid-rise buildings scattered around it. In addition to the urban bike trails, there should be urban walk trails (walkable routes).

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 1:07 PM

Rio Nuevo seeking offers for downtown property . I guess the previous mixed used development deal is off.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 6:33 PM

Downtown Tucson hotel a step closer to reality

When the auditors out pencil to paper, the numbers for approving a new downtown hotel were overwhelming.

If the city of Tucson gives the developer $6.7 million in tax incentives, the return will be nearly $18 million annually.

The hotel will be a 157 room Marriott at Fifth and Broadway, along the streetcar line.

It will be the first new downtown hotel in nearly 40 years.

According to the independent audit, the hotel will create 219 jobs and 100 new indirect jobs.

The Tucson city council will likely approve the project next week.

"This will be a good investment for our city to make," says Tucson Mayor Jonathan Rothschild.

Since 2012, all downtown projects looking for tax abatements or breaks must first be subjected to GPLET, a process which insures the city doesn't violate the state's gift clause.

The value to the city must be greater than the benefits given to the developer.

In this case, it does by nearly three times.

"In the meeting on Tuesday, we will be looking at approval," Rothschild says. "I expect we will."

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Downtown Tucson hotel a step closer to reality

When the auditors out pencil to paper, the numbers for approving a new downtown hotel were overwhelming.

If the city of Tucson gives the developer $6.7 million in tax incentives, the return will be nearly $18 million annually.

The hotel will be a 157 room Marriott at Fifth and Broadway, along the streetcar line.

In this case, it does by nearly three times.

"In the meeting on Tuesday, we will be looking at approval," Rothschild says. "I expect we will."
'...housing for employees is next' ... I hope it's a 10-20+ floor mix used building. Who knows it could be at the current location of the Greyhound bus station or the Ronstadt bus station .

EDIT : Mentioned not far back that construction vehicles were parked at the planned apt development at the mercado district (downtown west). It turns out those vehicles are for building a new street.

Last edited by farmerk; Jun 1, 2014 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 8:04 PM

SO - we get to wait even longer now on a Gigafactory decision.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101694146

Also, they are now saying they may break ground in THREE states!!

Sheesh....

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 10:29 PM

So...the Hub turned out to be one ugly building. It looks nothing like the renderings IMO...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
So...the Hub turned out to be one ugly building. It looks nothing like the renderings IMO...
Yeah, not my fave, and I work right next to it. I'm hoping the greenery from the renderings helps a bit.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 9:00 PM

Scaffolding is going up along the Pennington Street side of the Roy Place Building, the former Walgreen's at Stone & Pennington. Are they finally going to renovate that side of the building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest