HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
So had my first experience with the new afternoon lane reversal on 5th Avenue. As expected I was less than impressed and my commute ended up being longer than I generally expect. Now I understand that one sample does not necessarily tell the whole tale but I just don't see this thing working. 4th Avenue was slower than previously and there is no flow anymore after 10 Street as traffic grinds to a halt due to the newly installed lights. Based on a single test I am giving this project a big fail for the moment.
i must say I've had completely had a different experience than you. I've used it at least 15 times now and it's cut my time exiting out of downtown by 75%. This is at 4pm every day. I used to sit on 4th Ave, which is still busy, waiting and waiting to get across those train tracks. Now going down 5th it seems like there's never a train going by.

I will agree about that light on the Bow Trail connector now is kind of screwing things up, at least for the cars coming from 4th Ave as every single time I get to that light from 5th Ave it turns green.

The biggest issue in that whole road is the pedestrian crossing half a block after that light. With the weather being so nice there are always people crossing it so it backs up everything from both 4th and 5th. I think it may be time to put an actual light there for cars and pedestrians rather than the flashing lights.

As far as Bow Trail past 14th, it's not that big of deal, never really has been. Going up Crowchild North is always stopped but all other directions (Crowchild South and Bow Trail West) are usually free flowing.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 4:22 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
I am even okay with keeping cars on the road, but treat them the way they should be on the road: as an obviously secondary and increasingly less important mode.
  • Go from 4.5 lanes to 3.
  • Have raised intersections / mid-block pedestrian crossings at key intersections.
  • Perhaps a shared space area (like many European cities, or even a half-baked one like Stephen Ave).
  • Evenly timed lights in all directions at al key intersections to allow people to cross easily and more often.
  • Reopen closed intersection crossings (i.e.College Lane by Starbucks; 5A Street SW etc.)
  • Improve sidewalk lighting and street furniture areas while widening key strips that generate huge traffic.
  • Close or reorient all driveways and non-street turn-off where possible (or require when redeveloped)

Even if they do half of that list it's a huge improvement. Do all of it and you can really create a special space for the city to build off of for years.
Great ideas. 3 lanes should be totally fine for 17th. I don't think we need raised intersections, but curb bump outs mid block would be great.

What I would add to this is more underground parking in various locations.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 6:09 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
The complete streets guide allows 2 or 4 lanes for a Neighbourhood Boulevard. It's not violating any policy. The Complete Streets guide is used all the time in tons of projects, so your crusade is a little misguided.
I think you're misinterpreting my goal here, my goal is that the priorities listed in the policy are followed (in the case of a neighbourhood boulevard ped/bikes, then transit, then auto/goods). If the spokesperson is saying that it's an auto focused road, that goes directly against the policy. The number of lanes has little direct influence on the overall feel of the road. Lane widths, sidewalk widths, buffer areas, etc. have a much larger impact on it.

Also if it is used all the time, why is it never in the public communications? Again it's a communication/perception issue not necessarily a real one. BTW I've been told by City staff that they are not looking at making incremental improvements to roads to work towards the policy.

The city in general seems to struggle with translating technical language and jargon into language the majority of the population can understand. This applies to most every department from planning to roads and transit.

Disclaimer: I get that the spokesperson was likely trying to defuse a potential outcry about removing vehicle capacity. However that doesn't justify such a simplistic statement.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 2:22 AM

Just a reminder that tomorrow and Saturday is the information session for the interchange design at Macleod Trail and 162 Avenue/Sun Valley Blvd.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...on3-notice.pdf

Spoiler alert: It will be a diverging diamond interchange.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:00 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Hmmm interesting, I'm not convinced the diverging diamond is the best option, seems a bit gimmicky.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Just a reminder that tomorrow and Saturday is the information session for the interchange design at Macleod Trail and 162 Avenue/Sun Valley Blvd.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...on3-notice.pdf

Spoiler alert: It will be a diverging diamond interchange.
For us non-road engineer types, what is a diverging diamond (interchange)?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 12:19 PM

I can picture the Sun news articles now....

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 1:12 PM

[delete]

Last edited by googspecial; Jun 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM. Reason: video embed error

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 1:26 PM

When posting a youtube embed, you only need the part of the URL after the = at the end. In this case, it would be

[YOUTUBE]HD-0QnUlLOQ[/YOUTUBE

add the closing square bracket to complete.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 1:29 PM

^^ My bad. Should've double checked it. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^Hmmm interesting, I'm not convinced the diverging diamond is the best option, seems a bit gimmicky.
The information session will better explain why they chose it, but long story short:
- Safer for all modes of travel (less conflict points)
- Free flowing left turns
- Public support for it at the previous information sessions was strong

There will be detailed plans and animations going through the interchange to help illustrate the design.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:45 PM

Really happy they are putting in a DDI!

Off topic, but the pinavia interchange that appears at the very end of that youtube clip looks very interesting - has it been used before? Perhaps they could have done THAT at the 16Ave/Stoney interchange, for example... Or Crowchild/Stoney

Edit - here's the link I mean:
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 7:25 PM

The land requirement would be huge to keep speeds at 100 kph for all directions.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
The information session will better explain why they chose it, but long story short:
- Safer for all modes of travel (less conflict points)
- Free flowing left turns
- Public support for it at the previous information sessions was strong

There will be detailed plans and animations going through the interchange to help illustrate the design.
I was surprised to see the basket weave on the exit to Shawville Blvd South. A nice benefit. Had to be do e to be reasonable about providing that entry access though.

Unfortunately the free flow left turns are only onto NB/SB Macleod, left turns from Macleod onto east/west 162/Sun Valley Blvd are still restricted by lights. Probable not a problem during heavy traffic periods, but will lead to unnecessary stops during light/no traffic times. I get it, this is a new design, people are unfamiliar and it offers protection. Just too bad it wasn't like it should be. Like training wheels I guess. There for people who don't quite know what they are supposed to do. And that aspect could be a benefit. Delays due to people hesitating or being overly cautious could be problematic. And the dual lefts from SB to EB does require a lot of lane crossing.

And, I just realized, these lights could be put on yellow flash during off hours (late night). That is a good solution I think.

All in all, very excited to see this thing happen, and good for the city to consider something a bit more progressive.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri-Guy View Post
Unfortunately the free flow left turns are only onto NB/SB Macleod, left turns from Macleod onto east/west 162/Sun Valley Blvd are still restricted by lights. Probable not a problem during heavy traffic periods, but will lead to unnecessary stops during light/no traffic times. I get it, this is a new design, people are unfamiliar and it offers protection. Just too bad it wasn't like it should be. Like training wheels I guess. There for people who don't quite know what they are supposed to do. And that aspect could be a benefit. Delays due to people hesitating or being overly cautious could be problematic. And the dual lefts from SB to EB does require a lot of lane crossing.
I don't think traffic volumes on 162/Sun Valley would allow those lefts to signal free. They're not insignificant number during off-peak hours either. The reduced number of signal phases offered by the diverging diamond will mitigate any red time you have to sit through anyway.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 6:47 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
The City of Calgary has posted the 1978 functional planning study for Crowchild Trail on their project website, and makes for some interesting reading:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...t-Library.aspx
Thanks!!!

On page 11 of the document, Crowchild could almost classify for a "Main Street" status. Too bad it was widened and thank god it was not built to completion!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:55 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why is it too bad it was widened?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:06 AM

Quote:
The City of Calgary has posted the 1978 functional planning study for Crowchild Trail on their project website, and makes for some interesting reading:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...t-Library.aspx
I was far too excited to be reading this. So the cluster south of the river was pre-1978 - fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Thanks!!!

On page 11 of the document, Crowchild could almost classify for a "Main Street" status. Too bad it was widened and thank god it was not built to completion!
I think they pretty much knew what was needed 40 years ago. They were just a little unsympathetic to the locality. Change that elevated structure to a trench, narrow the corridor a little and what they have there is almost exactly what we need. Even what they have proposed would make the area nicer, tbh.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 3:29 AM

Quote:
I believe that the Crow-Bow-Memorial/Bridge configuration was there from day 1. This is part of a picture of the area from about 1970-72, and from what I can see, it looks the same today.

[IMG]https://calgaryringroad.files.wordpr...1970s_crow.jpg[IMG]
Wow. Was the EB Bow - NB Crow movement always as it is now? I can't decide whether I'd want to punch the guy who designed that in the face, or shake his hand.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:16 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
Really happy they are putting in a DDI!

Off topic, but the pinavia interchange that appears at the very end of that youtube clip looks very interesting - has it been used before? Perhaps they could have done THAT at the 16Ave/Stoney interchange, for example... Or Crowchild/Stoney

Edit - here's the link I mean:
Video Link
The centre of the pinavia is begging for a GIGANTIC piece of public art.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure