HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:50 PM

I didn't realize that Durham was Jamil Jivani's riding. Good to see him win and look forward to seeing him in parliament. The guy is a fighter and has an incredible work ethic.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 6:08 PM

Seriously, how much damage has Trudeau overseen to Canada's international education reputation. This article made me throw up a bit in my mouth - Cloud Nine College, WTF?

Vancouver international student fights defamation allegation after dispute with college
Saki Takatsuki of Japan started her program in January 2022.
Graeme Wood

A Philippines-based education company is suing a Japanese student who came to Vancouver to study only to find herself expelled after questioning the education she was provided by a third-party international school.

It’s a case that Surrey lawyer Ryan Kusuhara says raises “curious” questions about how international education is delivered and regulated in B.C.

“It is curious that this institution under the notice of civil claim claims to be a registered corporation in the Philippines,” said Kusuhara, representing Japanese student Saki Takatsuki.

The “Concordia International University” pamphlet initially provided to Takatsuki, said Kusuhara, “gives an ordinary person the impression you’ll be receiving a Canadian education from Concordia in Canada, as opposed to simply Cloud Nine College,” which is the third-party international school Concordia contracted.

Those alleged representations from Concordia International College of Asia and The Pacific form the basis of Takatsuki’s counterclaim against Concordia International, which first sued Takatsuki for defamation.....

.....Cloud Nine in downtown Vancouver is the “hosting school” for the advertised two-year program in B.C. Takatsuki paid about US$28,000 in August 2021 to attend....

https://www.biv.com/news/human-resou...ollege-8386164

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
The problems in this country right now are far too serious for social spending gimmicks like dentalcare and pharmacare to be what our precariously small fiscal capacity is wasted on.
Agree. But also if you're the NDP, what else do you have? They need these programs to at least get off the ground so that they have something to run on during the next election. Let's face it, most of the people arguing that Singh should break the deal would never support the NDP. Not exactly the best advisors.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:08 PM

More on wind power:

There has been widespread opposition to many wind power projects not only in Canada but up and down the American Atlantic seaboard, in Idaho and in California, and as well in the U.K., Germany and The Netherlands to name several. In the U.S., many proposed projects have been cancelled due to public opposition. This is why I think that a massive increase in the number of wind turbines on agricultural lands or in the Great and other Lakes or in coastal locations in southern parts of Canada is just not politically saleable in this country. If I'm not mistaken, Nova Scotia has put the brakes on a project in the Canso Strait.

There are very good arguments for wind power, on a case by case basis. The Dogger Bank project, 80-125 miles off the Yorkshire Coast in northern England will be the largest offshore wind farm in the world. This project will provide enough power for 6 million homes, more homes than exist in all three Prairie provinces, without spoiling vistas and coastal aesthetics or devaluing recreational and vacation properties, or negatively affecting tourism. Also the new Hywind Project off the coast of Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland is the world's first deep water large capacity floating wind farm. Similar projects are under consideration in Japan, Portugal and France. Costs with this new technology are high, but are anticipated to decrease as efficiency increases.

Some time ago, I read an opinion piece which promoted an idea to develop a large scale wind power project in the shallow Hudson Bay, off of Manitoba's northeast coast. The idea was that if 10% of the Bay's area (about the size of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick combined) was developed, it could produce enough energy to power all of the United States. To me this proposal seemed impossible, after all the Bay is frozen over for the majority of the year. Yet Finland is developing wind energy in the Gulf of Bothnia, which also freezes during winter. Wind power may be feasible after all in Hudson Bay, though perhaps not to the scale mentioned above. Port Nelson is relatively nearby (c. 150km) to the road and rail links as well as existing power lines at Gillam. There is absolutely no settlement in the area. Impartial studies would have to be undertaken on the effect on belugas and other wildlife. Food for thought.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
More on wind power:

There has been widespread opposition to many wind power projects not only in Canada but up and down the American Atlantic seaboard, in Idaho and in California, and as well in the U.K., Germany and The Netherlands to name several. In the U.S., many proposed projects have been cancelled due to public opposition. This is why I think that a massive increase in the number of wind turbines on agricultural lands or in the Great and other Lakes or in coastal locations in southern parts of Canada is just not politically saleable in this country. If I'm not mistaken, Nova Scotia has put the brakes on a project in the Canso Strait.

There are very good arguments for wind power, on a case by case basis. The Dogger Bank project, 80-125 miles off the Yorkshire Coast in northern England will be the largest offshore wind farm in the world. This project will provide enough power for 6 million homes, more homes than exist in all three Prairie provinces, without spoiling vistas and coastal aesthetics or devaluing recreational and vacation properties, or negatively affecting tourism. Also the new Hywind Project off the coast of Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland is the world's first deep water large capacity floating wind farm. Similar projects are under consideration in Japan, Portugal and France. Costs with this new technology are high, but are anticipated to decrease as efficiency increases.

Some time ago, I read an opinion piece which promoted an idea to develop a large scale wind power project in the shallow Hudson Bay, off of Manitoba's northeast coast. The idea was that if 10% of the Bay's area (about the size of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick combined) was developed, it could produce enough energy to power all of the United States. To me this proposal seemed impossible, after all the Bay is frozen over for the majority of the year. Yet Finland is developing wind energy in the Gulf of Bothnia, which also freezes during winter. Wind power may be feasible after all in Hudson Bay, though perhaps not to the scale mentioned above. Port Nelson is relatively nearby (c. 150km) to the road and rail links as well as existing power lines at Gillam. There is absolutely no settlement in the area. Impartial studies would have to be undertaken on the effect on belugas and other wildlife. Food for thought.
I think you're right. I'm not sure large scale on-shore wind farms have much of a long term future, barring specific regions that are very windy, but offshore wind could be very lucrative as most open ocean locations are more or less constantly windy,
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Agree. But also if you're the NDP, what else do you have? They need these programs to at least get off the ground so that they have something to run on during the next election. Let's face it, most of the people arguing that Singh should break the deal would never support the NDP. Not exactly the best advisors.
Definitely true. I'm reminded of all those LPC voters who said they wanted Charest to be CPC leader while never actually intending to vote for a Charest-led CPC.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Definitely true. I'm reminded of all those LPC voters who said they wanted Charest to be CPC leader while never actually intending to vote for a Charest-led CPC.
I'd vote for a Charest led CPC today.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 11:50 PM

Quote:
It's a nonsenical take to be honest. I know Layton pulled the trigger in 2006 and almost destroyed the Liberal party which if successful would have meant NDP governments at some point. That all seems mostly luck though. One episode of tout le monde en parle and fickle Quebec voters combined with a pretty bad economy. I don't even see any non-Conservative 2015 voters suggesting an early election which were fairly prevalent in 2005-6.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I think you're right. I'm not sure large scale on-shore wind farms have much of a long term future, barring specific regions that are very windy, but offshore wind could be very lucrative as most open ocean locations are more or less constantly windy,
Offshore wind is a modern marvel of engineering. I don't think the average muggle understands how big and capable offshore wind turbines are. And I don't think most people realize the commonality with offshore drilling as a skill set. Some of the largest offshore wind developers are offshore oil companies.

If we had real cooperation between our provinces, Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes could be 100% powered between offshore wind and existing hydro. And I don't just mean electricity demand today. I mean substantial electrification. We have that much potential. Unfortunately, offshore wind is even further behind than LNG in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It's a nonsenical take to be honest. I know Layton pulled the trigger in 2006 and almost destroyed the Liberal party which if successful would have meant NDP governments at some point. That all seems mostly luck though. One episode of tout le monde en parle and fickle Quebec voters combined with a pretty bad economy. I don't even see any non-Conservative 2015 voters suggesting an early election which were fairly prevalent in 2005-6.
That was a fluke though. As you noted, precipitated by a sequence of events all aligning at the right time.

What really surprises me most federally is the descent into irrelevance of the Green Party. If there's a party that should be able to capitalize best on Liberal voters looking for anyone but Trudeau, it’s the Greens.

Last edited by whatnext; Mar 6, 2024 at 7:24 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
That was a fluke though. As you noted, precipitated by a sequence of events all aligning at the right time.

What really surprises me most federally of the Green Party into irrelevance of the Green Party. If there's a party that should be able to capitalize best on Liberal voters looking for anyone but Trudeau, its the Greens.
Sadly the internal divisions of the Greens were there for all to see with the ouster of the last leader. Liz May is a bit of a Kook. I was on a flight out of Halifax to TO one day and lets just say she did not treat her travelling staff members with much respect.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but there are 1.5 million people who voted for Layton in 2011 who didn’t vote for Singh in 2021.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
The NDP support rose in several consecutive elections. There is a good chance Layton would have won in 2015 (Mulcair was leading in the polls until will into the election campaign and if not for a poorly timed court ruling probably would have won). The people advocating for the NDP to go down with the Trudeau ship are mostly not NDP supporters, they are Liberals who like having a lapdog NDP.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:45 AM

New Nanos poll conducted March 1, and updated aggregates.

CPC - 42.8
LPC - 23.3
NDP - 21.4
BQ - 6.2
PP - 1.3
GP - 4.2
Others - 0.7

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Maybe, but there are 1.5 million people who voted for Layton in 2011 who didn’t vote for Singh in 2021.
How much of that was Quebec's Orange Crush which can't be replicated without Layton? Or voters the Liberals stole by moving left?

If they take down the government, what exactly do they run on? How do you see them selling pulling the plug at the exact moment when a lot of long running priorities come into being? Maybe I just lack imagination. But right now, I can't see upside for ending this government. Maybe if they pulled the plug last year, they could have argued the Liberals were delaying NDP priorities in bad faith.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Mar 6, 2024 at 11:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

What really surprises me most federally is the descent into irrelevance of the Green Party. If there's a party that should be able to capitalize best on Liberal voters looking for anyone but Trudeau, it’s the Greens.
Have you looked at their platform or May's positions or all their crazy internal woke politics? Our Greens are nothing like Greens in Europe.

By contrast the Green Party of Ontario is growing and their positions are generally mostly moderate and sensible.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Have you looked at their platform or May's positions or all their crazy internal woke politics? Our Greens are nothing like Greens in Europe.

By contrast the Green Party of Ontario is growing and their positions are generally mostly moderate and sensible.
The federal Greens are a mess.

The provincial Greens in NB and PEI are relatively strong, and have reasonable policies. In both these provinces, the Greens have replaced the NDP as the third party choice.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
How much of that was Quebec's Orange Crush which can't be replicated without Layton? Or voters the Liberals stole by moving left?

If they take down the government, what exactly do they run on? How do you see them selling pulling the plug at the exact moment when a lot of long running priorities come into being? Maybe I just lack imagination. But right now, I can't see upside for ending this government. Maybe if they pulled the plug last year, they could have argued the Liberals were delaying NDP priorities in bad faith.
Layton had been growing the popularity of the party for years with shrewd maneuvering through a series of minority governments. Even without Quebec, Layton got twice as many seats as the Liberals in Ontario and 6x in BC.

I don't think they even need to take down the government; they just need to be seen as an independent voice in Parliament; stop voting for all of the government bills unless they clearly align with NDP policy, stop voting to shut down investigations into the government by parliamentary committees, etc. The only mandatory confidence vote is the budget, which Singh should be seen as willing to make a deal on (that would have been a good place for his pharmacare initiative). If Trudeau wants to declare something else a confidence vote then the consequences will be his.

In terms of what they gain by taking down the government is timing. Trudeau is highly unlikely to wait until the fixed term date and will almost certainly look to engineer an early election to coincide with a blip in polling, etc., which will almost certainly screw the NDP.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
In terms of what they gain by taking down the government is timing. Trudeau is highly unlikely to wait until the fixed term date and will almost certainly look to engineer an early election to coincide with a blip in polling, etc., which will almost certainly screw the NDP.
Do you foresee any blips in the polling? The Liberals have been circling the drain for months.

People are fed up with JT and want to see him gone. The only thing that would cause a "blip" is if recent documentary video evidence of PP kicking a dog and urinating on a homeless person while cackling with glee surfaces on social media.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Do you foresee any blips in the polling? The Liberals have been circling the drain for months.

People are fed up with JT and want to see him gone. The only thing that would cause a "blip" is if recent documentary video evidence of PP kicking a dog and urinating on a homeless person while cackling with glee surfaces on social media.
There are always blips in polling. A crisis or disaster often provides PM with an opportunity to look Prime Ministerial. A scandal in the provincial party in BC could hurt the NDP's chances there.

Chrétien famously called an early election weeks after Pierre Trudeau's funeral, capitalizing on Trudeau nostalgia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada